F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > An F-owner's brief review of a G26 i4 M50
proTUNING Freaks

06-09-2023, 08:26 PM   #1
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

An F-owner's brief review of a G26 i4 M50

Entering the car, the first thing which jumped out at me is the touchscreen dash. Firstly, Maybe you need to get used to it but it is way too busy at first glance and I struggled to get at information I was looking for and for the most part it was ignored the rest of the session. Besides, there is no way I would feel safe leaning forward to reach that screen eyes off the road whilst driving.
The interior styling is just OK. Its nothing which jumps out at you and makes you say WOW like some Mercedes and Audi models.
The G-series rims all around have taken a step back from the F-series. Even the M rims suck imo.

Initial pedal press gave the impression this had 340i levels of power but oh would you be wrong. Further pedal travel awakens the monster accelerating like an M3 without the growl. Triple digit speeds in Mexico achieved within mere seconds! I started to believe this car may just be my next buy but this wore off over time. Straight line driving, the power makes you forget you are in a heavy car but pushing it on hard turns and any quick maneuvering and braking at speed quickly reminds you that you can hide but can't fight physics. Add the ridiculous lurching power on demand and you can get into alot of lumbering trouble very quickly. I was sure undercover sirens were imminent cause it was lil hard to gauge acceleration and speed with this electric coming from an ICE car owner. Still, the engineers did an overall great job keeping the mix stable but there were some anxious moments pushing this car with steering corrections, lurches, rolls. At the least there needs to be adjustment to the dynamics of this car and no I would not bring this car to a track but it would easily be the king of the highways. Imo, the only thing M about this car are the ridiculously powerful electric motors.

+ M3 levels of straight-line acceleration power
+ Attractive styling from the rear and side views
- Ugly from any frontal view
- Steering is either too sensitive or wanders at acceleration
- the 5000lbs is felt on turns and any quick maneuvering/braking at speed

In the end, imo, its just not that practical for my taste. The i4 M50 has crazy power but way more than is needed for the streets where for this car maybe the only fun is weaving in and out of traffic and pulling/blowing away wannabes. There little fun in the corners and turns and it just isn't that fun overall. Now this is the kind of power you would want at the track accelerating into straighaways but preferably in the form of a more agile and in-control M3.
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2023, 05:01 AM   #2
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
I had the exact same experience test driving the M50.
It’s fun in a straight line but a bit of a handful on the small narrow roads with tight corners….

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2023, 05:13 PM   #3
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

I drove one last summer during the ultimate driving event when it came to my town. (Highly recommended if it comes your way. https://driving.bmwusa.com/ude?token=bmwusa ) It really was a hoot to drive.
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 3
      06-12-2023, 08:34 AM   #4
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
I drove one last summer during the ultimate driving event when it came to my town. (Highly recommended if it comes your way. https://driving.bmwusa.com/ude?token=bmwusa ) It really was a hoot to drive.
If you are looking for straight line acceleration, its a blast but at $80k for options ticked, its not far from an M3 which is powerful but also looks and handles better. Also, many of the other electrics also have straight-line acceleration thrills so the question is do you really need to pay $80 for 0-60 in 3.5s. I think its worth $65-70k options ticked.
Appreciate 0