F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW Apps iOS SDK
GetBMWParts

08-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #1
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3/15 DA-2

Arrow BMW Apps iOS SDK

You can find all kinds of glossy marketeer "info" out there which mentions that BMW will provide the Apps iOS (and Android?) SDK to developers after a "selection process".

Does anyone have any idea what this process is or how one might get involved?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
You can find all kinds of glossy marketeer "info" out there which mentions that BMW will provide the Apps iOS (and Android?) SDK to developers after a "selection process".

Does anyone have any idea what this process is or how one might get involved?
The process is basically "go away". They're not ready yet, unless you're already a market leader like Pandora etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
The process is basically "go away". They're not ready yet, unless you're already a market leader like Pandora etc.
I wonder if it'll ever be "ready" or if it's one of those "look, we gave Pandora an SDK so we can tell everyone we've got an SDK now" type thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Doesn't seem like a real SDK. SDK would imply it's "open" to a large pool of people, but it's definitely not. As a result, we see about, what, 3 apps? Haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
I wonder if it'll ever be "ready" or if it's one of those "look, we gave Pandora an SDK so we can tell everyone we've got an SDK now" type thing.
I think it will be (and probably is) but they will only release it to people they consider to be market leaders and of suitable status/reputation so as not to damage the BMW brand with poor quality software and integrations.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
gomichaelkgo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

I wish there were a Waze or Google maps app for idrive. The real-time traffic info in the CIC based nav systems sucks!

By the time any traffic info is shown (5-8 minutes after startup), its already too late to make a route choice.

Seems like there will never be one tho. Waze and Google maps are likely seen as competition to the integrated navigation stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #7
JesseS
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomichaelkgo View Post
I wish there were a Waze or Google maps app for idrive. The real-time traffic info in the CIC based nav systems sucks!

By the time any traffic info is shown (5-8 minutes after startup), its already too late to make a route choice.

Seems like there will never be one tho. Waze and Google maps are likely seen as competition to the integrated navigation stuff.
Consumer-level navigation and vehicle automation are emerging technologies -- and they still have a lot of "emerging" to do.

I have noticed there is starting to be a bit more parity between oem and standalone/smartphone navigation, but we're still living in an era when navi systems are all, occasionally, problematic or at least provide a frustrating user experience. Even the oft-touted Google has issues.

Car manufacturers are probably going to be forced into the interoperability game by market pressures, despite the fact that they are incredibly resistant to this for reasons of brand protection and a deep seated knowledge that there are serious security demons lurking just around that particular corner.

On the plus side, the NBT ARTTI is supposedly much faster.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

BMW claimed to have iHeartRadio support about 6 months ago, yet I cannot find any reference to it anywhere. Am I overlooking something?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #9
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

http://data.hackthedrive.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
DanITman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssshake View Post
hackthedrive isn't taking new signups. This might have been created for a hack-a-thon and then was taken down after. It would be cool to mess around with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 05:47 PM   #11
Boorda
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi M-Sport

I know this is a super old post, but anyone else landing here check out..

https://github.com/edent/BMW-i-Remot...l-trip-details

and

https://github.com/bmw-data-science/...-API:-Overview
Appreciate 0