F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Another go flat success story.
Extreme Powerhouse

02-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
atlguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335I MPPK

Another go flat success story.

I had no idea my 335 could be THIS good.

I went budget and put on square setup General gmax AS05 tires on the stock 395's.

Wow. Just wow.

The steering was twitchy before on the run flats. That's all smoothed out now.

The ride quality is up dramatically. Hitting the known bumps in my neighborhood results in a fundamentally different reaction from the car. It rides smoother and quieter.

My scissor jack, patch kit, slime and air compressor in the trunk all cost me a whopping $0 as I had all of that in the garage.

The kicker for me.... Price.

Set of 4 with replacement / road hazard set me back $575. ONE of the runflats was $300 installed.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What run flat tires did your vehicle have? With how many miles before being replaced?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Larry77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp "Ultimate Pkg"

I can't wait to need tires so I can make this change. I'm still trying to decide if my winter setup will be RFT or not though...(I have the wheels but haven't decided on tires).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #4
J.D.
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Stole my thunder!!!

I was about to post this. I had these same tires put on yesterday to replace the Cinturato P7 RFT's that were on my 328i. Square setup.

All I can say is wow. The steering is smoother and more responsive, and the ride in general is just a whole lot smoother. It's also MUCH quieter, particularly when going over rough roads or bumps.

What they don't tell you about the runflats is that the sidewalls are so stiff that instead of absorbing impacts any little bump in the road is transmitted directly into the car. I'm no suspension expert but I can't imagine that's good for your struts and springs either.

I'm actually shocked that BMW would opt to RUIN the ride of their luxury cars by equipping them with rocks for tires instead of just putting a damned spare doughnut in the trunk.

I for one just bought a six dollar can of fix-a-flat and put it in my trunk. I will not be going back to runflats anytime soon. The difference is that noticeable.

And I know a guy at the tire shop so I got mine for $525 with lifetime road hazard policy and free rotate and balance.
Appreciate 2
atlguy25.50
      02-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #5
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Mine came with Bridgestone Driveguard rfts. Better than the previous rfts I’ve had on previous BMWs. But I will replace them with goflats once the tread wears down. My winter setup is Yokohama snow goflats. I haven’t decided what tires to go with yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
atlguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
What run flat tires did your vehicle have? With how many miles before being replaced?
Replaced the factory-spec Goodyear EfficientGrip tires. One of them is brand new, 2 of the others are about 65% worn (30K miles), and one was discarded due to another %(*%^&* bubble.

I should have replaced the set when I replaced one a month ago. Lesson learned -- always go with your gut.

3 tires for sale!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
atlguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
Stole my thunder!!!

I was about to post this. I had these same tires put on yesterday to replace the Cinturato P7 RFT's that were on my 328i. Square setup.

All I can say is wow. The steering is smoother and more responsive, and the ride in general is just a whole lot smoother. It's also MUCH quieter, particularly when going over rough roads or bumps.

What they don't tell you about the runflats is that the sidewalls are so stiff that instead of absorbing impacts any little bump in the road is transmitted directly into the car. I'm no suspension expert but I can't imagine that's good for your struts and springs either.

I'm actually shocked that BMW would opt to RUIN the ride of their luxury cars by equipping them with rocks for tires instead of just putting a damned spare doughnut in the trunk.

I for one just bought a six dollar can of fix-a-flat and put it in my trunk. I will not be going back to runflats anytime soon. The difference is that noticeable.

And I know a guy at the tire shop so I got mine for $525 with lifetime road hazard policy and free rotate and balance.

100% agree with everything you said. Spot on.

I have emergency fix a flat, but I'd be hard pressed to ever use it. A plug kit and a compressor are also now onboard, and for anything I can't patch myself, it's a tow. I'm ok with that. I've successfully patched dozens of tires roadside over the years and cars, trucks and bikes.

Heck of a deal you got bud -- I thought I did well!

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Replaced the factory-spec Goodyear EfficientGrip tires. One of them is brand new, 2 of the others are about 65% worn (30K miles), and one was discarded due to another %(*%^&* bubble.

I should have replaced the set when I replaced one a month ago. Lesson learned -- always go with your gut.

3 tires for sale!!
Surprised to learn that OEM run flat tires lasted 30K miles. My Bridgestone Potenza S001 on previously owner 2013 335i lasted only 22K miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
J.D.
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

Quote:

I have emergency fix a flat, but I'd be hard pressed to ever use it. A plug kit and a compressor are also now onboard, and for anything I can't patch myself, it's a tow. I'm ok with that. I've successfully patched dozens of tires roadside over the years and cars, trucks and bikes.

Yeah, I've heard that the fix-a-flat can ruin the inside of the tire, but I very rarely get a flat tire, I have a road hazard policy, and if I have to buy a tire here and there these ones are only 90 bucks apiece.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
I had no idea my 335 could be THIS good.

I went budget and put on square setup General gmax AS05 tires on the stock 395's.

Wow. Just wow.

The steering was twitchy before on the run flats. That's all smoothed out now.

The ride quality is up dramatically. Hitting the known bumps in my neighborhood results in a fundamentally different reaction from the car. It rides smoother and quieter.

My scissor jack, patch kit, slime and air compressor in the trunk all cost me a whopping $0 as I had all of that in the garage.

The kicker for me.... Price.

Set of 4 with replacement / road hazard set me back $575. ONE of the runflats was $300 installed.
Hi. Seriously looking at non RFT''s ( OEM tires were Pirelli P zero RFT). I have a 2017 440i convertible with only 13,100 mi, don't drive much since I've retired). My concern is: I have 21 months left on warranty and will changing to non RFT's now impact any warranty items (brake system, struts/shocks, etc.) that come up in the future that BMW could possibly use an excuse to void warranty? Have you thought about this, don't know if you are beyond warranty where this concern of mine would not impact you. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #11
atlguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Hi. Seriously looking at non RFT''s ( OEM tires were Pirelli P zero RFT). I have a 2017 440i convertible with only 13,100 mi, don't drive much since I've retired). My concern is: I have 21 months left on warranty and will changing to non RFT's now impact any warranty items (brake system, struts/shocks, etc.) that come up in the future that BMW could possibly use an excuse to void warranty? Have you thought about this, don't know if you are beyond warranty where this concern of mine would not impact you. Thanks
I actually have a 3rd party warranty and still have coverage for BMW's maintenance plan.

If I complained about something like vibration when driving, they could say 'well, that's the non-spec runflats' or if I bent a wheel, same story. However, my warranty doesn't cover either of those things.

I got the stock size and speed rating for the car, so I'm not worried at all. BMW owes me a set of front brakes later in the year, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 12:54 AM   #12
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
I actually have a 3rd party warranty and still have coverage for BMW's maintenance plan.

If I complained about something like vibration when driving, they could say 'well, that's the non-spec runflats' or if I bent a wheel, same story. However, my warranty doesn't cover either of those things.

I got the stock size and speed rating for the car, so I'm not worried at all. BMW owes me a set of front brakes later in the year, too.
Thanks. I'll probably not concern myself with possible scenarios and just go and get the non RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #13
bmw4jh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Atiguy,
Where did you purchase your tires? I sounds like a pretty good deal.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #14
atlguy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4jh View Post
Atiguy,
Where did you purchase your tires? I sounds like a pretty good deal.
Thanks!
Discount tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 06:37 PM   #15
flyguy27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I Sportline

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I just ordered a set of the gmax as05 based on this thread. Replacing my driveguards since they are almost worn out. Not a bad price at all and the reviews seem promising. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #16
atlguy
Private
Rep

So, now with them broken in and some miles on them, the initial impression is good.

I started at placard pressures, 32/38. I've been playing with it, and settled on 34/36 for now.

Wet traction is fantastic. Obviously, new tires are usually good, and only time will tell, but so far they're great in the wet.

Dry traction is honestly not much improved from the runflats, but I really haven't tested that. Just quick starts and cornering, and as far as holding the road, they're good. Not noticeably better.

The ride quality and noise is SO much better. Worth it just for this. My initial thoughts hold.

I wonder if a 245/40/18 would have been better in some way, but with a warranty left, I went with the stock size.

So far, gas mileage is up right under 2mpg. Pretty much the same driving. The weight savings was negligible, so that could be due to a smaller contact patch (the runflats were squarer than the go-flats) plus the small weight savings. No idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 07:37 PM   #17
flyguy27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
So, now with them broken in and some miles on them, the initial impression is good.

I started at placard pressures, 32/38. I've been playing with it, and settled on 34/36 for now.

Wet traction is fantastic. Obviously, new tires are usually good, and only time will tell, but so far they're great in the wet.

Dry traction is honestly not much improved from the runflats, but I really haven't tested that. Just quick starts and cornering, and as far as holding the road, they're good. Not noticeably better.

The ride quality and noise is SO much better. Worth it just for this. My initial thoughts hold.

I wonder if a 245/40/18 would have been better in some way, but with a warranty left, I went with the stock size.

So far, gas mileage is up right under 2mpg. Pretty much the same driving. The weight savings was negligible, so that could be due to a smaller contact patch (the runflats were squarer than the go-flats) plus the small weight savings. No idea.
Thanks for the assessment. My priority is ride quality. My car is a commuter so dont really need super car handling. On discount tire website it says the gmax is 21lbs vice the driveguards at 27lbs. Im on style 397 rims 225/ 45/ 18 .
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #18
BMWF30PGH
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 320i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy27 View Post
Thanks for the assessment. My priority is ride quality. My car is a commuter so dont really need super car handling. On discount tire website it says the gmax is 21lbs vice the driveguards at 27lbs. Im on style 397 rims 225/ 45/ 18 .
I went with 225/45/18 Continental PureContact LS. They are a newer tire. I am thrilled with them. I had Cinturato P7 All Season Plus non-rft (great tire) prior to these and they are even better. They are so quiet and stick to the road in all conditions. I commute 70 miles a day and I am very happy with my choice. Plus Continental offered a 60 day trial and 70k warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #19
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:

i had can of fix a flat until i ran over a ceramic shard that was 4 inches long that went straight through the middle of the tire and i had to get towed 100 miles home.... thank god for AAA
      03-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #20
dfwF30bmw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i 6MT Track Handling

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/cooper-zeon-rs3-g1.aspx

I went with these after only 16k miles on the run flats. I love them I have a staggered setup with M sport brakes and suspension and track handling package. 40's and back and 45's on front on 19 inch rims. Only 23k warranty with staggered setup but that life. Only $650 out the door at discount tires. Had to order and wait 3 days. According to cooper they were extensively test on BMW's. Who knows but they are pretty quiet, cheap, have a warranty. I have not pushed them very hard yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #21
flyguy27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Got my Gmax AS05 installed and now I am scratching my head wondering why I waited 6 years to change over to regular tires. Like you all say, much improved ride. It doesn't crash over bumps and crevice cracks anymore. It is sporty yet smooth and quiet. I will never put run flats on a car again. Thank you all for the reviews and suggestions that influenced this switch.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #22
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
Get a spare. Don't put fix a flat in the tire. It'll ruin the TPMS
Appreciate 0