F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > First Day w/ HK System
Studio RSR

04-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #199
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmo View Post
A little late in the day I have just stumbled across this thread with the same hope of getting the best of the HK system in my 2017 F31 (touring).

Would be interested if the final settings by the OP have been tried by anyone in an F31.

Will give it a go myself tonight.
As mentioned numerous times already - the FCI models (which you most likely have as well) have an updated HK audio system. Transferring settings from a pre-LCI to an LCI is likely to be as successful as transferring your favourite equaliser settings from your Range Rover to your BMW.

Your audio system IS calibrated from factory specifically for your model, to give you the best (as in universal acoustic precision) performance whilst making inevitable compromises. You can play with the settings to see what sound YOU like the most, depending on the type of music and volume you typically listen to. Chances are you will deviate from the acoustic accuracy, but that does not matter as much as you subjectively enjoying the sound. It is not an exact science.

I have boosted the low frequencies a bit as I enjoy hearing bass even at low volumes. Is this "improving" the sound? Technically not. But for my ears it is. And that's what counts.

Good luck and enjoy! The HK is IMO a great system (as long as you have the correct expectations).

Last edited by Skyhigh; 04-07-2021 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #200
philmo
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i F31 touring

Ahh thanks for that. I did ready all of the posts but through ignorance skipped over the LCI reference, have since educated myself to understand what it means :-)

I will tinker - but also agree that for me the sound is great, certainly a real jump forward over the standard system in my last F10 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 04:55 AM   #201
mes
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i ED 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Face Pony Soldier View Post
My current settings haven't changed much but after almost 42k miles this is how it's set...

Bass & Treble = Flat
Balance & Fader = Centered
L7 active
(Speed Volume = Center)

100Hz +4 (sometimes +5)
200Hz -5
500Hz +2
1kHz +1
2kHz Flat
5kHz -1
10kHz Flat
@Dog Face Pony Soldier
I've been using this setting for years and am so satisfied. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 05:54 AM   #202
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

What's the rationale of 200hz being minus 5?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #203
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

The point of the eq is to improve the linearity of the response, as standard (eq flat) the response is awful (Well it was in my '15 MY 435).

Read from the start and you'll see what its all about.

PS. I see you have a G30. This thread is for the HK system in the F3x models. The OP had a F30, and it is based around his measurements. However it improves the F36 I have and others have tried it in the F31 and reported good results.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 02:47 AM   #204
vanlisur
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Do you know if these will be the same settings for the 435 coupe? . .

Last edited by vanlisur; 03-24-2022 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #205
MysteriousGas
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 435xi GC

Garage List
Quote:
I believe at least one person asked if these settings are applicable to the F32. Well definitely not the 2019 430i I have as a loaner this week! Actually this should be fairly obvious because this 2019 model has a different EQ than my 2014 335i.

The system in the 2019 430i loaner responds very differently than my 2014 335i. The biggest difference my car has is the big hole in the response between under seat woofers and door midrange is simply not there. The frequency response is MUCH more linear in the 2019 F32 than my 2014 F30.

I can already hear people ask- how do you have the F32 set Glenn?

As a starting point I flattened the EQ and Bass Treble controls. Then I activated L7 processing. After listening for two days (at least 10 hours), I can sum things up so far this way... Although I'm definitely not in love with the performance of the system, I REALLY don't like what almost any of the adjustments do to the sound. I'll have the car until at least Wednesday but right now the system is flat except +1 click on the two lowest EQ sliders (100 Hz and 250 Hz I believe).

This isn't intended to provide a strong tuning recommendation as much as its intended to communicate that these two systems are very different in the bass region at least.

Rock on. 🤘🏻
The 4 and 3 have different sound systems it isn't a difference in model years. This is confirmed on H/K website.
https://www.harmankardon.com/bmw.html
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 11:31 AM   #206
navid0308
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Thanks OP for the settings! I didn't pick up on the non-linearity but after trying out the settings, it's pretty evident that the HK system is trying to muddy up the base and get a boomy sound from the midrange at 200hz. On my 2012, the L7 sounds pretty distorted when using an iPhone with bluetooth. I like the cleaner sound with L7 off but I am not sure if the same EQ settings would apply. Does anyone know if these settings would still provide a linear response with L7 off?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 07:29 PM   #207
Tim.Rader
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
I believe at least one person asked if these settings are applicable to the F32. Well definitely not the 2019 430i I have as a loaner this week! Actually this should be fairly obvious because this 2019 model has a different EQ than my 2014 335i.

The system in the 2019 430i loaner responds very differently than my 2014 335i. The biggest difference my car has is the big hole in the response between under seat woofers and door midrange is simply not there. The frequency response is MUCH more linear in the 2019 F32 than my 2014 F30.

I can already hear people ask- how do you have the F32 set Glenn?

As a starting point I flattened the EQ and Bass Treble controls. Then I activated L7 processing. After listening for two days (at least 10 hours), I can sum things up so far this way... Although I'm definitely not in love with the performance of the system, I REALLY don't like what almost any of the adjustments do to the sound. I'll have the car until at least Wednesday but right now the system is flat except +1 click on the two lowest EQ sliders (100 Hz and 250 Hz I believe).

This isn't intended to provide a strong tuning recommendation as much as its intended to communicate that these two systems are very different in the bass region at least.

Rock on. 🤘🏻
So I've read through this entire thread making notes on equalizer settings, just to get to Page 8 and find out none of the settings apply to the new-to-me 2019 440i M-Sport that I'm receiving tomorrow! Did anyone ever come up with good KH Equalizer settings for the F32? I have searched around, but cannot find anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 02:51 AM   #208
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Yes - HK did when they performed a precise calibration of the sound specific to your vehicle type with professional equipment!!

Just to eventually read that people are asking for universally applicable to every type of music tips for how to go away from the calibrated sound before they have even bought the vehicle and heard the sound!!

This is the moment I imagine when sound engineers start pulling hairs…..
      02-03-2024, 08:28 AM   #209
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.Rader View Post
Did anyone ever come up with good KH Equalizer settings for the F32? I have searched around, but cannot find anything.
Find your own. Start with the bass and treble controls and the EQ sliders all at zero. Tweak them to suit your own taste. When it sounds good it is good.
Quote:
This is the moment I imagine when sound engineers start pulling hairs…
That never happens. After a few years as an engineer we've lost all our hair.
Appreciate 2
Skyhigh1879.00