F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tyres for 328i XDrive
Studio RSR

06-07-2023, 05:38 PM   #1
CoyoteKG
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo 147 JTD

Tyres for 328i XDrive

Recently I purchased my car with two sets of wheels, winter and summer on 400M rims

2 months ago I put summer set on my car, did wheel balancing and alignment.

Tyres are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (non RF) with dimensions 225/45/R18 and 255/40/R18.

The issue is that I feel that the car is so unstable with this set comparing to a winter one (some Dunlop square setup 225/45/R18, also non RF).

The car is unstable only on bad quality roads. Not only with ruts, but also sloping roads and roads with badly patched potholes.
This happens with slower speeds, even 20 km/h.
I can barely control the steering wheel.
On perfect roads, car behaves excellently!
I understand that I can't expect perfect handling on such roads, but my previous cars and even this one but with winter set doing the job much better.

Previous weekend I put back my winter set just to test it again, to make sure it again, and I can confirm that there is an enormous difference.

I thought that maybe something is wrong with the tyres, so I went to two different local tire shop to test it. They have some spinning machines which are simulating roads.
From both places they said that tyres are good, still not for replacing, but that I could buy new ones because dot mark of these are from 2018, even tire tread depth is 5.5mm on front, and 5mm on rear tyres

Finally, my question is...

Which tyres to buy?
I'm afraid that maybe current tyres are somehow not fit for this car... And if it is so, I don't want to make the same mistake by purchasing again tyres which are not suited for this car.

I have checked by VIN what BMW suggesting and here
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=85_0104

My brakes are M Sport (S2NHA) so from this list only Michelin Pilot Super Sport fits,
front axle - 225/45ZR18 95Y and
rear axle - 255/40ZR18 99Y.

I see in some local stores still have these in their offer for 1050E.
But... I'm not sure about DOT, and are these tyres still actual?

Last edited by CoyoteKG; 06-07-2023 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0