F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Need Help with Malfunctioning Windscreen Washer Fluid Sensing System
Studio RSR

03-24-2024, 10:01 AM   #1
MotoHot
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i (F30), 335i (e90)

Need Help with Malfunctioning Windscreen Washer Fluid Sensing System

Dear BMW Forum Members,

I hope this message finds you well. I'm reaching out to seek your expertise regarding a persistent issue I've been experiencing with the windscreen washer fluid sensing system in my 328i F30. Despite my best efforts, I haven't been able to resolve it, and I'm hoping that someone here might have some insight into how to further diagnose and fix the problem.

Here's the situation: I've recently noticed that the low-level warning light for the windscreen washer fluid remains illuminated, indicating that the system is detecting a low fluid level even though I have thoroughly cleaned the system and replaced the fluid with fresh, clean fluid. Initially, I thought that simply cleaning the system and replenishing the fluid would resolve the issue, but unfortunately, that hasn't been the case.

To address the problem, I've already taken the following steps:

Dismantled the windscreen washer fluid system and cleaned it thoroughly.
Replaced the fluid with new, clean fluid recommended for BMW vehicles.
Despite these efforts, the warning light persists, indicating that there may be an underlying electrical issue or sensor malfunction that I need to address. However, I'm not sure where to start in terms of diagnosing and resolving this problem.

If anyone has encountered a similar issue or has expertise in troubleshooting this particular issue, I would greatly appreciate any advice or guidance you can offer. Specifically, I'm interested in learning more about how to debug the sensor or wiring to identify any potential faults or malfunctions.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:19 AM   #2
mig2830
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 340I

Hi,

I would start by disconnecting the washer fluid sensor (botom of fluidtank), and see if the fault disapear. If yes, its the sensor. If no its could be a wiring isue (shortcirquit).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 05:11 PM   #3
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i F36

I had the same issue. I replaced the reservoir, because the sensor is integrated. In my case, it didn’t resolve the problem. It was the wiring. In the end I couldn’t find any crack in the wire, however there was some corrosion. I had to make a new wire from FEM to sensor, which resolved the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 01:56 PM   #4
MotoHot
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i (F30), 335i (e90)

Thanks guys, Yes I have had the sensor disconnected as well but that did not change anything. The warning light is still there. So a problem with the wiring then I guess... where does the cable go? it dives into a bigger harness quite quickly and pretty hard to trace it. Do you know where the other end goes so I could check continuity.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 09:39 AM   #5
Jimmert
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i F36

At the FEM side, passenger door under the glove box.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 10:25 AM   #6
zatelli
Private First Class
Morocco
Rep
Drives: 2013 RWD F30

The washer fluid level sensor connects to FEM connector A173*3B, pin 11. It is a black and white 22 AWG wire. I hope it helps
Appreciate 0