F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > winter tires
proTUNING Freaks

11-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #89
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydande View Post
im running 225/45/18 all 4 corners and at 100-120 highway speed it doesnt feel twitchy, the only time that it felt twitchy was when i was testing my tires out and went up to 180, 100-120 is a really normal highway speed, if our cars will feel twitchy wat makes a minivan or etc wont feel twitchy? lol
Are they H or V rated? You don't get it. You don't know much about tires which is fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #90
sydande
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Are they H or V rated? You don't get it. You don't know much about tires which is fine.
H.....LOL think about it with common sense bro....same H rated tires if ur cruising at a 100km/h, no matter on a rwd/fwd or awd car its the same. yes rubber compound is different, obviously the h rated tires will have a softer compound therefore it drives worse on dry roads. but wat im saying is if ur crusiing at a normal speed there arent much of a difference.
current:jb4 stage2/bms intake/glossblack roof/carbon fiber rear splitter/performance spoiler/25%tint/ac roof spoiler/1m bumper with custom lip/forcewerkz carbon fiber side splitter/gloss black grill/H&R sport springs/challenge hfc dp/AG 310 19x8.5 et20/19x9.5et33
coming:vossen cv7 matte graphite
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 10:08 AM   #91
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Do yourself a favor and Google "speed rating". Its not about compound. As speed rating goes up so does ability to withstand increased lateral pressure.....sidewalls are stiffer. Entire tire is firmer so car isnt wobbly when you change lanes at highway speeds.

Last edited by 335BOY; 11-14-2013 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #92
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbmw View Post
^Personally I would go with the more aggressive tire which would be the xi3. I put them on my F31 (xDrive) and with my limited experience so far they are great.
The xi3 is listed as recommended for coupes, small SUVs and vans.........
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #93
sydande
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and Google "speed rating". Its not about compound. As speed rating goes up so does ability to withstand increased lateral pressure.....sidewalls are stiffer. Entire tire is firmer so car isnt wobbly when you change lanes at highway speeds.
do yourself a favor and try to listen to others, does a minivan weight more or our cars? what makes our car create more lateral pressure if ur changing lane at the same speed? Dr. Speed rating?
current:jb4 stage2/bms intake/glossblack roof/carbon fiber rear splitter/performance spoiler/25%tint/ac roof spoiler/1m bumper with custom lip/forcewerkz carbon fiber side splitter/gloss black grill/H&R sport springs/challenge hfc dp/AG 310 19x8.5 et20/19x9.5et33
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #94
lordg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I have winter tires with rims on it already. When I go to get my winter tires installed, do I need to get it balanced again or is a swap good enough?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #95
OEMconcept
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
H.....LOL think about it with common sense bro....same H rated tires if ur cruising at a 100km/h, no matter on a rwd/fwd or awd car its the same. yes rubber compound is different, obviously the h rated tires will have a softer compound therefore it drives worse on dry roads. but wat im saying is if ur crusiing at a normal speed there arent much of a difference.
I don't quite understand your logic. I mean, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but there are times when some people are more educated on a certain topic. The forums are here for everyone to share their KNOWLEDGE amongst enthusiasts.

With your logic, what's even the point of buying WS70's. You can buy cheap Chinese winter tires that will probably be just as stable driving in a straight line on the highway as your WS70's.

The reason why it is recommended to install an H-rated or above winter tire on a BMW is because whether you have a RWD or X-drive, the car(especially on dry roads), is propelled by the rear wheels. Anyone that's owned BMW's in the past know that the rear tires always wear out much quicker than the front tires. This is why you need the extra stability in a tire. A winter tire that is too soft will make the car less stable and you will definitely wear them out much quicker. It's for that reason that a tire with a rating lower than H is ideal for front wheel drive cars, where all the weight is lifted off the propelling front tires and put on to the "trailing" rear tires.

Now I'm not saying that it is unsafe running a tire with a speed rating lower than H on a BMW. It is safe, and it is fine, but it is not recommended.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #96
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
do yourself a favor and try to listen to others, does a minivan weight more or our cars? what makes our car create more lateral pressure if ur changing lane at the same speed? Dr. Speed rating?
I think YOU should buy ws70 or the van tire. Would look good on you. You are either arguing for the sake of arguing or you have absolutely no clue about what you are speaking. I'm assuming the latter. I bet I have been driving on snow/winter conditions longer than you have been alive...just a hunch.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #97
sydande
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I think YOU should buy ws70 or the van tire. Would look good on you. You are either arguing for the sake of arguing or you have absolutely no clue about what you are speaking. I'm assuming the latter. I bet I have been driving on snow/winter conditions longer than you have been alive...just a hunch.
in fact i do have the ws70 on my car at this moment. and i wonder whos arguing for the sake of arguing....how does a winter tire look good on you? does that even make sense? LOL i do have a clue on wat im speaking, as im just trying to explain to u my logic, but i guess ur just a close minded person .......well ive driven on both LM60s and WS70s on the same car and same size, so im just trying to share my experience?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #98
sydande
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMconcept View Post
I don't quite understand your logic. I mean, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but there are times when some people are more educated on a certain topic. The forums are here for everyone to share their KNOWLEDGE amongst enthusiasts.

With your logic, what's even the point of buying WS70's. You can buy cheap Chinese winter tires that will probably be just as stable driving in a straight line on the highway as your WS70's.

The reason why it is recommended to install an H-rated or above winter tire on a BMW is because whether you have a RWD or X-drive, the car(especially on dry roads), is propelled by the rear wheels. Anyone that's owned BMW's in the past know that the rear tires always wear out much quicker than the front tires. This is why you need the extra stability in a tire. A winter tire that is too soft will make the car less stable and you will definitely wear them out much quicker. It's for that reason that a tire with a rating lower than H is ideal for front wheel drive cars, where all the weight is lifted off the propelling front tires and put on to the "trailing" rear tires.

Now I'm not saying that it is unsafe running a tire with a speed rating lower than H on a BMW. It is safe, and it is fine, but it is not recommended.
i do know wat u mean, as i have tried driving fast on both the lm60s and ws70s....as well as the pa2. the lm60s was the most stable then followed by pa2 but wat i was trying to say is, if you drive at normal speed, you cant really tell a difference obviously if u drive aggreesively even during winter then lm60s would be ur choice. but if u want the best winter performance i would go with ws70.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #99
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
i do know wat u mean, as i have tried driving fast on both the lm60s and ws70s....as well as the pa2. the lm60s was the most stable then followed by pa2 but wat i was trying to say is, if you drive at normal speed, you cant really tell a difference obviously if u drive aggreesively even during winter then lm60s would be ur choice. but if u want the best winter performance i would go with ws70.
Oh really? No kidding. That didnt take long,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #100
sydande
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Oh really? No kidding. That didnt take long,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
by driving fast i mean...i was going 180km/h....it didnt feel different at all under 120 km/h
Appreciate 0