F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW used approved 335d
proTUNING Freaks

06-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #1
JASB68
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

BMW used approved 335d

Hello all

Now my kids are at an age where they have no interest in outings with their parents I offloaded my trusty “family oriented” 535d SE.

Now its me time!!

I just put a deposit on a BMW used approved 335d 66 plate with 58k miles. (Vin spec below)

History – One owner bought new from the same BMW dealer – fully serviced by same dealer – owner px’d for a new 340i.

At the moment it’s in preparation. I have not viewed the car I have only seen a video taken by the salesman.
Looks lovely in the video – a light scratch on the front bumper and one alloy wheel needs a refurb which will be sorted in preparation.

Question I have.

Dealer is about 150 miles from my location. I am happy for them to deliver but would anyone recommend I should view, test drive, the vehicle before purchase?

I have already test driven the 335 so am happy with the model.

Any comments, advise on the spec and any other things I should note would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

It has the following spec.

Colour Black-sapphire metallic (475)
Upholstery Leather "Dakota"/schwarz (LCSW)

Editions And Packages
S715 M Aerodynamics Package
S337 M Sports Package
S710 M Leather Steering Wheel

Comfort And Interior Equipment
S420 Sun Protection Glazing
S481 Sports Seat
S4FT Alum. Brushed Lengthw. Acc. Black Hi-Gls
S488 Lumbar Support, Driver And Passenger
S465 Through-Loading System
S428 Warning Triangle And First Aid Kit
S496 Seat Heating, Rear
S430 Interior/Outside Mirror With Auto Dip
S431 Interior Mirror With Automatic-Dip
S423 Floor Mats Velours
S494 Seat Heating Driver/Passenger

Multimedia
S6WA Instrument Panel With Extended Scope
S610 Head-Up Display
S6AC Intelligent Emergency Call
S688 Harman/Kardon Surround Sound System
S6AE Teleservices
S654 DAB Tuner
S6AM Real-Time Traffic Information
S6NH Hands-Free System With USB Interface
S6AP Remote Services
S609 Navigation System Professional
S6AK Connected Drive Services
S698 Area-Code 2 For DVD
S6AN Concierge Services
- Bavsound Speaker Upgrade Available

Driver Assistance And Lightning
S5AC High-Beam Assistant
S575 Additional 12V Sockets
S5A1 LED Fog Lights
S508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
S5A2 LED Headlight
S5DA Passenger Airbag Deactivation
S5DF Active Cruise Control+Stop&Go Function
S521 Rain Sensor
S563 Light Package
S534 Automatic Air Conditioning

Wheels And Drive
S21C BMW LA Wheel, M Double Spoke Bicolor
S230 Extra Package, EU-Speciifc
S2VB Tyre Pressure Display
S2PA Locking Wheel Bolt
S2NH M Sport Brake
S258 Tyres With Runflat Properties
S2TB Sport Automatic Gearbox
S216 Hydro Steering-Servotronic

Environment And Safety
S8S2 Coding, Alarm Signal
S302 Alarm System
S8KA Oil Service Interval 24 Mths / 30,000 Km
S850 Dummy-SALAPA
S8SM Car Ident. Number Visible From Outside
S880 On-Board Literature, English
S8S3 Automatic Locking During Starting
S812 National Version England / Ireland
S8R9 Refrigerant R1234yf
S3AG Reversing Camera
S853 Language Version, English
S8TG Thiefproofing Device

Individual Equipment
S760 High Gloss Shadow Line
S775 Headlining Anthracite

Other Equipment
S1CA Selection Of COP-Relevant Vehicles
S9AA Outer Skin Protection
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
john lummis
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D Xdrive M Sport

I bought my BMW approved car in April this year from a dealer, I was able to actually see it before I paid for it, it was a lot closer to my home though ( about 20 ish miles) even though it was lockdown.

All that really matters is that YOU are happy with the spec of the car, I would suggest having a trawl through the posts in this forum to see if there are any problems specific to that model.

I'm sure you will get some opinions from members who actually own the same model you're considering buying, good luck
      06-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #3
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I've made the mistake twice of buying a car without seeing it. Never again. Try it. Drive it. Inspect it. Once you have it then it might be harder to get things rectified. Anything you are not happy with you can get them to address. As someone once said off here just because it has had 150 points checked doesn't necessarily mean you can trust them on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Agree with the above. I wouldn't buy something for that kind of money at a distance, on the chance that something is wrong. They can inspect it to death, but only you'll know if it feels right for you on a test drive.

I'd make a day of it, go drive it and if you can, drive it away. If you can't, ask for the issues to be rectified and then get it delivered.

You'll only know if that particular car is right for you when you drive it and inspect it in person. If you can , take someone with you as you go car buying blind and might miss something. Just my view.

Armaan
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

I have bought 3 motorbikes without seeing them and had them delivered......1 was a dog.

I would deffo go and see/collect the car.....never too late to walk away. I realise its approved used, so you should be fairly confident its a good 'un, but if nothing else, the drive home will be epic!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #6
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

bought mine remote without seeing it, approved user warranty and rebill to the supplying dealer on all the things I wasnt happy with.

All fine in the end, limited hassle...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 02:03 PM   #7
neilr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

I've bought two cars from Park Lane BMW London and I'm in Newcastle, absolutely no issues doing it again, I agreed via email if the car wasn't what I expected it would be collected at their cost and I'd get a full refund, any minor issues would be picked up by a local dealer.

In fairness the cars have been immaculate, maybe due to the distance they've paid more attention to prep, I'm sure you're covered by some kind of distance selling law
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
nascot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr View Post
I've bought two cars from Park Lane BMW London and I'm in Newcastle, absolutely no issues doing it again, I agreed via email if the car wasn't what I expected it would be collected at their cost and I'd get a full refund, any minor issues would be picked up by a local dealer.

In fairness the cars have been immaculate, maybe due to the distance they've paid more attention to prep, I'm sure you're covered by some kind of distance selling law
Isn't Park Lane the only dealership actually owned by BMW? Maybe that would have something to do with the good service.

For what it's worth I've bought one car without seeing it (many years ago) and had no problems. It was low mileage, bought/sold at the same dealer and serviced there. I've also test driven a car, found no issues so bought it only to find after a short while it had loads of minor problems that grew. It was an Alfa though so...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 02:53 PM   #9
neilr
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascot View Post
Isn't Park Lane the only dealership actually owned by BMW? Maybe that would have something to do with the good service.
I believe so
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #10
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

All of our last few cars have been distance purchases of circa 200-300 miles. However, I never agree to having a used car delivered. I will always go over the car upon collection on the proviso that the deposit is returned if car isn't to my liking.

However, I've always been thorough on the phone and asked them which areas I specifically want video footage of or photographed so they know how fastidious I am. A friend of mine has rejected a BMW AUC for poor paintwork repairs again at time of collection.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #11
dave550i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 640D Vert Melbourne Red

I bought a M135i from BMW approved last year only one oil change in 35K miles showing on i-drive when i check after getting the car home, then found out middle resonator removed from exhaust system and larger tips welded to tailpipes, also found out that the car had been returned only a week earlier by
another buyer because of these discrepancies! 120 point check baloney they never are, they would have found out the exhaust was butchered if it had been checked, anyway needless to say i took it back and got my money back but the dealership was no better than a back street arthur daley tried all sorts of excuses, just to had twenty years ago was sold a 325i sport and it still had the original fuel filter after 70K miles and 0.5 litres of gear oil in the box, i would now rather buy private from the likes of a forum member and the difference saved pay for any jobs that may crop up, only my opinion of course
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      06-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #12
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

The approved used warranty is great as it covers anything mechanical which can be sorted at a later date but it obviously won't cover anything cosmetic.

For that reason I'm not sure I would buy a car without seeing it first. Everybody's expectations and attention to detail are different.

The car must be in reasonable condition for the dealer to have it on their forecourt. However is it in a condition you would be happy with and that also reflects the price?

I understand the dilemma though, It saves on the cost and time driving there and back.

It will also depends on when would they want the money transferred. If you can transfer the money over the phone with the sales guy after inspection it then keeps the power in your hands for any issues to be rectified locally at there cost or for a renegotiation on the price.

I've found once the money has been transferred issues are harder to resolve. Just getting the sales guy back on the phone is hard enough.

Also it depends on how you're paying, if you're taking out finance with them or paying by credit card you'll get added protection.

You may be covered by distant selling regulations anyway if money is transferred before delivery in which case just tell the delivery driver to take it back and ask for a refund if you'renot happy.(not 100% sure).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #13
Chris335dF31
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F31

Live near Southampton and bought my 335d AUC from Sytner Sheffield unseen - based on a walkaround video. Car was as described when I drove up to collect it and inspected it in the handover bay. There was no quibble on the P/X value of my 330d either that they had also agreed unseen.

Car has been faultless. I know this is not everyone's experience but I'd happily do the same again for the right spec car.
335d F31 MSport 2017 - Sapphire Black
Appreciate 1
neilr45.50
      06-22-2020, 04:41 PM   #14
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Honestly, if you can collect then that would be my preferred option. I wouldn’t have them deliver it, although you will have some degree of protection if it is not to your standard it’s a shit load of hassle.

I bought my BMW from a dealer about 150 miles away - it had the spec I wanted & I negotiated a pretty good deal on it. I had the option of travelling to the dealer (around the M25) on a Saturday before a bank holiday or alternatively having them deliver it the Wednesday before. My Mrs twisted my arm & I elected to have it delivered, it was free of charge & would save us the hassle of driving to the dealership & back in what could have been a nightmare journey. This was against my better judgement however the contact at the dealership seemed to be held in high regard by many BMW folk from my research & I thought it was a sensible approach.

Car got delivered on the Wednesday as agreed. Driver had obviously hammered it as I’ve never seen such poor consumption since. Furthermore the front bumper was damaged from an impact of some sort - creased under headlights, paint missing between kidney grills & looked like it had either been driven into something or someone had reversed into it. After questioning the driver, it turned out he had taken car home from dealership the night before & it had apparently been parked on his drive for the night. Didn’t explain the dirty footwell in the back & one of the headrests being up.... My thoughts are he had taken my car out for the evening...

What resulted was a massive shitstorm of hassle where supplying dealer wanted to pick car up & do a smart repair (it needed a new front bumper which was done by local BMW dealer & billed to supplying dealer direct). I was treated appallingly by the supplying dealer & it was only my local dealer who really sorted the issue out. BMW compensated me with a service plan but this really ruined the ownership experience for me at the outset.

Makes me angry now just thinking about it!
I can guarantee that if something is wrong & you go & pick the car up, they’ll have more of an interest in putting it right than if you’ve paid the money...
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      06-23-2020, 01:15 AM   #15
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris335dF31 View Post
Live near Southampton and bought my 335d AUC from Sytner Sheffield unseen - based on a walkaround video. Car was as described when I drove up to collect it and inspected it in the handover bay. There was no quibble on the P/X value of my 330d either that they had also agreed unseen.

Car has been faultless. I know this is not everyone's experience but I'd happily do the same again for the right spec car.
Same experience there - last 2cars have been from Sheffield and i drove down from Aberdeen to collect each time.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:34 AM   #16
scoss
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW - F31 - 335D

I’d always test drive just to be sure. I drove from Bristol to Canterbury just to make sure my previous car was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:18 AM   #17
AlRex
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

I just bought mine from BMW Coventry and did the same as I live about 2 hours away, agreed everything without seeing the car. Checked car on handover and it was as described, they honoured the value they offered for my part ex and everything has gone really well.

It’s a chance that can go either way I guess, so far so good for me. It was the right car for me, they pulled it into the handover bay for me and left me to check the car over before I signed for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:53 AM   #18
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

I bought a 530d Touring from a used car dealer (not BMW but a decent size franchise with a few sites) back in December without seeing it. It was only 2 years old with 27k on the clock. Sold as in showroom condition and unmarked. Drove 200 miles to collect it on Xmas Eve having arranged my own finance and them having already been paid the full amount for the car to find it had a dent in the rear bumper and a deep wide scratch on the front. I wasn't happy at all, my 100k 330d that I was part exing was in better condition! Needless to say I wasn't happy and although they offered to come and fetch it and bring a courtesy car whilst it was being repaired, it put me off and took the shine off the whole experience so I walked away.

I say walked away.... but it was a right PITA cancelling the finance, it affected my credit history and I went to buy another car at the end of January and couldn't because the finance was still active on the 530d!

In all honesty it was a blessing in disguise though as I'm now paying £150 less a month for a brand new car and about to move in to a 4 bed detached new build that would have probably not been possible paying so much out on my car.

I'll be much more careful buying at distance next time though and I wouldn't arrange for it to be paid for again until I'd seen it and was happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #19
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

The amount of time I've heard a car sales man describe a car as excellent condition to only find out it's far from it. I just don't trust them and would rather travel to find the right car before handing over any money.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:18 AM   #20
JASB68
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Before posting I was quite relaxed about the delivery.

Now I am 50/50.

When the car is ready for collection I will decide then.

Will update.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #21
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

I've bought both my last BMW from BMW AUC without seeing...
F31 328i from Sytner High Wycombe and my current F31 340i from Sytner Sheffield.

I'm not saying BMW are perfect and wont pull a fast one but I'm sure they value the custom and reputation a fair bit.
If it was private or a dealer other than BMW (or other high end car) I would never do that though.

Both were easy, video walk arounds and lengthy chats on the phone was enough..
You know the spec and as long as you are sure the sales guy has disclosed everything then not alot can go wrong.
I'm sure if I turned up and there was something wrong, they would sort it.
They want their money and the customer happy at the end of the day but it would be an annoyance.
It will have 12months of BMW insured warranty on it so anything mechanical can be sorted, they wont mess you about.

I actually prefer doing the deal at distance, rather than dealing with Mr Salesguy face to face over £200 or a tank of fuel..
I spoke at length with both sales guys and there was no doubt given to them that i'd kick off if it was not as it was described. He knew that from the get go. I kept reminding him that I'm drivng over 100miles, if something is not as described I'll not be happy.

You'll be fine. I would collect the car in person though, then you dont feel pressured to continue (if something is wrong) which i'm sure would be harder if it was already parked on your drive.
They will collect you from the train station, I'm sure.?
But COVID could put a spanner in that plan.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #22
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASB68 View Post
Any comments, advise on the spec and any other things I should note would be appreciated.
I think its been pretty much covered on if you should get it delivered or not ... so with regards to your above question....

You are aware that being an xdrive even the M Sport model comes fitted with SE springs/suspension (hence they sit quite high)?
Most folks on here have swapped out the springs for eg ACS springs that lower the car slightly and make it handle less wallowly.

i think the suspension is better on the LCI model, but you are still essentially driving a SE chassis as opposed to an M Sport chassis.

Loads of info on here with regards xdrive and sorting the springs.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0