F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW F30/F31 Xenon retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

10-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #265
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardillo View Post
ok
if you have any questions let me know
luck
I took the car and the xenon parts to an ex BMW mechanic who opened his own business and asked him to do the retrofit.
I told him about the headlight wiring changes as well as the FEM changes, as explained below:

Headlight wiring:
pin 1: remains the same
pin 2: remains the same (ground)
pin 3: remains the same
pin 4: connect wire to wire from pin 2 (ground)
pin 5: remains the same
pin 6: Remove it and connect it to pin 9
pin 7: connect wire to wire from pin 2 (ground)
pin 8: remains the same
pin 9: Connect wire from pin 6
pin 10: remains the same
pin 11: remains the same
pin 12: remains the same

FEM wiring:
Left headlight:
pin 6: remove from 50. A173. 4B, connect to 53. A173. 3B
pin 8: remove from 49. A173. 4B, connect to 53. A173. 4B
Right headlight:
pin 6: remove from 38. A173. 4B, connect to 41. A173. 3B
pin 8: remove from 37. A173, 4B, connect to 54. A173. 4B

He said it was OK to make the changes in the FEM and coding but he is not very comfortable to make the changes in the headlight wiring. He said that I should buy the headlight wiring from a car with xenons because by changing the current wiring we may burn some controller from headlight or FEM.

I went to BMW to buy the wiring from a car with xenons, but they don't sell the wiring separately, we need to buy the whole car wiring (61112338481) to get the headlight wiring And the price for this is around 3k euros!!

I really appreciate if you could help me with these questions:

1. Does anyone know if is true that a bad wiring configuration may burn anything? I believe that is not very likely because there are lots of people who did the retrofit with this config....

2. If the mechanic refuses to do the wiring, I'm thinking of trying this myself. I'm thinking of making the changes to the wiring, FEM and coding without removing the halogen headlights and then install the xenon headlights only if the test is successful (if something goes wrong I can revert the wiring and code and don't need to remove the headlights).
Does anyone know if is possible to remove the wiring to make the changes and if the length of the wire is enough to connect to the xenons headlights (outside of the car)?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #266
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by powershot View Post
I took the car and the xenon parts to an ex BMW mechanic who opened his own business and asked him to do the retrofit.
I told him about the headlight wiring changes as well as the FEM changes, as explained below:

Headlight wiring:

FEM wiring:
Left headlight:
Right headlight:

He said it was OK to make the changes in the FEM and coding but he is not very comfortable to make the changes in the headlight wiring. He said that I should buy the headlight wiring from a car with xenons because by changing the current wiring we may burn some controller from headlight or FEM.

I went to BMW to buy the wiring from a car with xenons, but they don't sell the wiring separately, we need to buy the whole car wiring (61112338481) to get the headlight wiring And the price for this is around 3k euros!!

1. Does anyone know if is true that a bad wiring configuration may burn anything? I believe that is not very likely because there are lots of people who did the retrofit with this config....

2. If the mechanic refuses to do the wiring, I'm thinking of trying this myself. I'm thinking of making the changes to the wiring, FEM and coding without removing the halogen headlights and then install the xenon headlights only if the test is successful (if something goes wrong I can revert the wiring and code and don't need to remove the headlights).
Does anyone know if is possible to remove the wiring to make the changes and if the length of the wire is enough to connect to the xenons headlights (outside of the car)?
I thought about this with question #1 before I did mine and this is the conclusion I came with.
1- Plenty of people have done this retrofit and didn't have any issues.
2- Halogen headlight housing uses standard bulb for DRL's, etc while the xenon housing uses LED. LED theoretically should draw less wattage than standard bulb so by retrofitting this, it should be fine. There was only 1 wire that was heavier gauge and reduced to a thinner gauge and I'm pretty sure that was for the DRLs (I forgot which wire it is in the FEM).

Honestly, the hardest part of this retrofit was getting the damn two lower bolts of the headlights. Everything else was smooth sailing if you follow the DIY.

To your second question, yes, there is some slack that you can swing and plug in the xenon headlights without having to remove the existing one.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #267
pardillo
Rep
Drives: f21

Quote:

Headlight wiring:

FEM wiring:
Left headlight:
Right headlight:

My installation has one year and 0 problems
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #268
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Many thanks everyone, my retrofit is now finished

@pardillo: The wiring changes in FEM worked perfectly, many thanks for that!

Next steps: collecting parts for headlight washer and auto level sensor
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 04:59 AM   #269
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
Many thanks everyone, my retrofit is now finished

@pardillo: The wiring changes in FEM worked perfectly, many thanks for that!

Next steps: collecting parts for headlight washer and auto level sensor
Congratulations
now enjoy
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #270
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

The retrofit is not perfect after all

I was in a hurry when I picked the car yesterday, during the day, and I didn't have the chance to drive the car at night. The angel eyes and the low beams were working perfectly and I went home.

Today I drove the car at night and I noticed that the high beams were not working Also I noticed the error symbol was visible (the danger icon in the board computer) and I went to the iDrive to see the error, which says: "There is a problem with the light level sensor".

The error is expected because the car doesn't have leveling sensor, but it shouldn't appear because I told the mechanic to code the following:

LWR_AHL_TYP =auto./dyn.LWR+AHL= 03
C_FLC_ENA = F030disable(LWR,Levelingsensor)
C_AFS_ENA = F030enable(LightDistribution)
C_BLC_ENA = F030enable(AHL)
C_CLC_ENA = F030enabl(Corneringlight)

I will call the mechanic tomorrow to know if he disabled the leveling sensor in the code.

In the meanwhile, does anyone know if the high beams problem may be related to the error? Or any clue to fix the issue?

I mean, could be a security mechanism which doesn't allow high beams with errors in the Leveling sensor, to avoid blinding the other drivers in the road...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #271
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
The retrofit is not perfect after all

I was in a hurry when I picked the car yesterday, during the day, and I didn't have the chance to drive the car at night. The angel eyes and the low beams were working perfectly and I went home.

Today I drove the car at night and I noticed that the high beams were not working Also I noticed the error symbol was visible (the danger icon in the board computer) and I went to the iDrive to see the error, which says: "There is a problem with the light level sensor".

The error is expected because the car doesn't have leveling sensor, but it shouldn't appear because I told the mechanic to code the following:

LWR_AHL_TYP =auto./dyn.LWR+AHL= 03
C_FLC_ENA = F030disable(LWR,Levelingsensor)
C_AFS_ENA = F030enable(LightDistribution)
C_BLC_ENA = F030enable(AHL)
C_CLC_ENA = F030enabl(Corneringlight)

I will call the mechanic tomorrow to know if he disabled the leveling sensor in the code.

In the meanwhile, does anyone know if the high beams problem may be related to the error? Or any clue to fix the issue?

I mean, could be a security mechanism which doesn't allow high beams with errors in the Leveling sensor, to avoid blinding the other drivers in the road...
your problem is your FEM
You do not have the necessary hardware
as I explain in my thread:

http://www.bmwfaq.com/threads/reequi...lluvia.865650/
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 06:04 AM   #272
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, it seems I need to spend a few more bucks to get this working properly

I understood that my FEM is not compatible, but I don't understand how can I see if the FEM is the MID or MAX version.

I thought it could be the in the middle of the name "FEM_LR01_ZB6_MID_BIX_IB", but that doesn't make sense because your FEM works and has the same name (according to the photo in your post).

I just would like to make sure that a FEM with HW version bigger than 7.1 would work, my concern is that those versions could have also a MAX and a MID version

I found the attached FEM on eBay, for 199euros, with HW 7.5, do you think it will work?

Regarding the replacement of the FEM, is it just plug & play?

Many thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #273
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well, I disabled the leveling sensor myself using E-sys, the error is no longer displayed, but high beams don't work anyway It should be for sure the FEM...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #274
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
Well, it seems I need to spend a few more bucks to get this working properly

I understood that my FEM is not compatible, but I don't understand how can I see if the FEM is the MID or MAX version.

I thought it could be the in the middle of the name "FEM_LR01_ZB6_MID_BIX_IB", but that doesn't make sense because your FEM works and has the same name (according to the photo in your post).

I just would like to make sure that a FEM with HW version bigger than 7.1 would work, my concern is that those versions could have also a MAX and a MID version

I found the attached FEM on eBay, for 199euros, with HW 7.5, do you think it will work?

Regarding the replacement of the FEM, is it just plug & play?

Many thanks

do not
It is associated to your car with the keys and K.M
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #275
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

do not
It is associated to your car with the keys and K.M
I don't speak very well spanish, but from my understanding of the following:
"IMPORTANTE: no todas las fem son compatibles lo que puedo aseguraros es que de la 7.1 hay dos versiones la MAX y la MID estas dos si que valen porque una es la mia y la otra es de uno del foro yanki que los monto y no le funcionaban las largas, le cambio la fem a la 7.1 MAX y todo ok, estoy casi seguro de que a partir de la versión 7.1 en adelante no tendríais problemas"

This means that an user from the other forum was able to replace the FEM with a "7.1 MAX FEM" and solved the issue? So he did it in the official dealer? (because of the keys coding...)

Many thanks and sorry for continue asking questions, but I'm kind of in a dead end
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #276
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
I don't speak very well spanish, but from my understanding of the following:
"IMPORTANTE: no todas las fem son compatibles lo que puedo aseguraros es que de la 7.1 hay dos versiones la MAX y la MID estas dos si que valen porque una es la mia y la otra es de uno del foro yanki que los monto y no le funcionaban las largas, le cambio la fem a la 7.1 MAX y todo ok, estoy casi seguro de que a partir de la versión 7.1 en adelante no tendríais problemas"

This means that an user from the other forum was able to replace the FEM with a "7.1 MAX FEM" and solved the issue? So he did it in the official dealer? (because of the keys coding...)

Many thanks and sorry for continue asking questions, but I'm kind of in a dead end
yes
this in this thread
You will have to go to your dealer

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...=808444&page=8
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 01:21 PM   #277
powershot
Enlisted Member
Rep

I tried all types of combination of coding, even tried to disable the AHL with hope to get high beams working:
1. removed 524 from FA
2. LWR_AHL_TYP = ohne
3. C_FLC_ENA = F030disable (LWR, Leveling sensor)
4. C_AFS_ENA = F030enable (Light Distribution)
5. C_BLC_ENA = F030disable (AHL)
6. C_CLC_ENA = F030disable (Cornering light)

Still no high beams
Seems I really need to replace the FEM.

But before doing it, I'm thinking of trying the Doni configuration:
headlight: add ground to 4 and 7
Move pin 26 from connector A173*2B to ---> pin 53 in connector A173*3B
Move pin 34 from connector A173*3B to ---> pin 41 in connector A173*3B
Move pin 49 from connector A173*4B to ---> pin 53 in connector A173*4B
Move pin 37 from connector A173*4B to ---> pin 54 in connector A173*4B

I did the following configuration (done by Pardillo and other users in the forum):
headlight: add ground to 4 and 7. Change pin 6 to 9

Do you think it worth a try Donni's configuration before going to the dealer and change the FEM?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #278
larry_bml
First Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Sport Line 320ded

I think you must try befoure changing FEM. I don't remember exactly what wires I changed but I made this retrofit some months ago and worked perfectly after wires changed in FEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 03:53 PM   #279
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
I tried all types of combination of coding, even tried to disable the AHL with hope to get high beams working:
1. removed 524 from FA
2. LWR_AHL_TYP = ohne

Still no high beams

I did the following configuration (done by Pardillo and other users in the forum):

Do you think it worth a try Donni's configuration before going to the dealer and change the FEM?
do not
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 01:04 PM   #280
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
1. removed 524 from FA
2. LWR_AHL_TYP = ohne

Still no high beams

try this... VO code 524 back on. everything should work except the issue you are having (high beam) at this point. On the FEM, go to pin 53 and 41 on A173*3b and use a multimeter and see if theres power (+) when you pull on the high beam stalker. You may need to strip the wire a little bit since you cannot unplug the harness from the FEM while testing.

Pin 6 (+) and pin 2 (ground)on your headlight harness is responsible for your high beams.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 03:52 AM   #281
risanta
Rep
Drives: 320d F30

Hi,

Just about to order parts for Bi-Xenons but wondering about FEM compatibility ?
Mine is MID and HW: D3. I understood that BIX code on FEM means BI-Xenon but not sure, same name found from Rheingold.

If I have to change FEM I'll pass Xenons on this car.

Br, Riku
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #282
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by risanta View Post
Hi,

Just about to order parts for Bi-Xenons but wondering about FEM compatibility ?
Mine is MID and HW: D3. I understood that BIX code on FEM means BI-Xenon but not sure, same name found from Rheingold.

If I have to change FEM I'll pass Xenons on this car.

Br, Riku
Hello
D3 is not valid you need to change your FEM your dealer
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 02:43 AM   #283
risanta
Rep

Quote:
Hello
D3 is not valid you need to change your FEM your dealer
Hi again, my friend has same version of FEM with Xenons. Could it be about software update or what?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 03:48 AM   #284
pardillo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by risanta View Post
Hi again, my friend has same version of FEM with Xenons. Could it be about software update or what?
yes
your friend has other installed hardware
You can not install this hardware, you must purchase and install fem.
only you can do from your dealer
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #285
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quick question. I'm still gathering parts for the retrofit, and pretty much the last things I need are the driver modules. I've managed to find a used set, but the part number is for a pre-2013 with Xenon's. My car, along with the car the lights came out of is a 2014. Realoem says they are interchangeable, but I wanted to ask before I bought them.

The part number of the modules I found are: 63117316143

But the superseded part number is: 63117316147.

Will these all be compatible if I purchase them?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #286
risanta
Rep

Quote:
yes
your friend has other installed hardware
You can not install this hardware, you must purchase and install fem.
only you can do from your dealer
Don't fully understood your answer why my friends car Xenons work with same model of FEM? Should I even try without changing FEM. My car software have been updated by local dealer month ago. I can send you photo of my FEM if needed.
Appreciate 0