F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Ceramic coating vs Wax & Sealant?
proTUNING Freaks

10-05-2018, 10:27 AM   #23
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Out of curiosity, is there a specific reason you chose Adam's over CarPro for the SiO2 sealant in conjunction with the coating?
I haven't done a ceramic coating before, but i was concerned with both installation and correction for ceramic coatings. so i went with adams polishes sealant based on one of the videos from the guy i posted showing that their sealant lasted the longest out of the ones he tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAK92 View Post
I’m a sealant and wax person as well. I used Meguiars polish and then Adam’s sealant and wax and mine has lasted a decent amount of time. I do park my car in the garage and use a good soap and detail spray after washing. Outside of the car is still smooth as butter.
This is my exact process as well. When I do park outside in the rain it beads nicely. But after a wash, the rinse water does not sheet like it used to. It sloooowly comes off of the sides/rear and it completely sticks to the hood. I just applied it back in May. the sheeting was noticeably degraded after about 3 washes. I also try to do the "flooding" technique to get most water off my car before drying with a towel, and it is less and less effective every time.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 12:00 PM   #24
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
I haven't done a ceramic coating before, but i was concerned with both installation and correction for ceramic coatings. so i went with adams polishes sealant based on one of the videos from the guy i posted showing that their sealant lasted the longest out of the ones he tested.

This is my exact process as well. When I do park outside in the rain it beads nicely. But after a wash, the rinse water does not sheet like it used to. It sloooowly comes off of the sides/rear and it completely sticks to the hood. I just applied it back in May. the sheeting was noticeably degraded after about 3 washes. I also try to do the "flooding" technique to get most water off my car before drying with a towel, and it is less and less effective every time.
Ceramic coatings will wick away wax for sure - if you wax a car over your coating, it'll soon start to haze. The degradation could be because Adam's Sealant isn't silica based, and can't properly bond to the paint.

Sealant aside, your coating should still be sheeting the water. Do you have proper ceramic coating shampoo you're refreshing it with?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #25
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Ceramic coatings will wick away wax for sure - if you wax a car over your coating, it'll soon start to haze. The degradation could be because Adam's Sealant isn't silica based, and can't properly bond to the paint.

Sealant aside, your coating should still be sheeting the water. Do you have proper ceramic coating shampoo you're refreshing it with?
No. I just use meguiars car wash and detailing products. It just seems silly to me that a coating requires such a specialized process for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 12:40 AM   #26
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
No. I just use meguiars car wash and detailing products. It just seems silly to me that a coating requires such a specialized process for it to work.
I guess I have drank the kool aid on all that, but I haven't had issues with my sealants. Just something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #27
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
I guess I have drank the kool aid on all that, but I haven't had issues with my sealants. Just something to consider.
No i completely understand where you're coming from. It's just silly to me that's the way it is.

As it stands, I need a special sealant/ceramic coating-compatible car wash to use on the rear 2/3 of my car, plus a special xpel-compatible wash and sealant for my front end since i have PPF on the front. And then a coating/boost product to support repelling water.

I guess I'm one of those guys that likes having a clean car more than actually cleaning his car. Hopefully the ceramic coating meets my expectations.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #28
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

The Sunset color is almost pearlescent and it almost changes color in different light, so I was thinking of the ceramic coating.

But I just can't drink from the glass of kool aid on this stuff yet either.

I just use good old fashion zymol carbon wax, maybe a couple times a year. I use the HD-Cleanse maybe once a year, and wash with a good quality car wash that doesn't strip the wax.

After a wash, and in between zymol hand waxing, I use their Field Glaze, or Pinnacle Carnauba detail spray.

Name:  100_1995.JPG
Views: 586
Size:  539.6 KB

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0