F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Coilovers Dillema
Extreme Powerhouse

11-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #23
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport, X1, 525d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fre2bpowerless View Post
What are they quoting you for the m-sport suspension?

The drop isn't as dramatic as the M-perf which lowers 20mm to the M-sports 10mm IIRC
They say that the M-Performance won't be covered under warranty as the car would get 'too low'. That's what the Bird Automotive parts manager told me. They said that the M-Sport suspension can be arranged and will cost around INR 185,000 + Labour.

& Shouldn't the drop be more because the dampers and the springs of our Indian F30 is different from the EU/US version as our car comes equipped with the 'poor road package' ? I have no clue on this because as I said before I haven't lowered my rides before this one... Shed some lightt ?

On the other hand, I'm getting a good deal on the coilovers and even after these I'd be able to raise the car back to the stock height and adjust the damping as they have fully threaded design. if I'm not wrong only the suspension warranty would be voided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmaleke View Post
Good luck bro! and share us on the reviews
Thanks bro!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #24
AMJAM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport

Go with the BC Racing they have 32 levels of adjustment very comfortable you won't be sorry
      11-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
fre2bpowerless
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: Yes. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
They say that the M-Performance won't be covered under warranty as the car would get 'too low'. That's what the Bird Automotive parts manager told me. They said that the M-Sport suspension can be arranged and will cost around INR 185,000 + Labour.

& Shouldn't the drop be more because the dampers and the springs of our Indian F30 is different from the EU/US version as our car comes equipped with the 'poor road package' ? I have no clue on this because as I said before I haven't lowered my rides before this one... Shed some lightt ?

On the other hand, I'm getting a good deal on the coilovers and even after these I'd be able to raise the car back to the stock height and adjust the damping as they have fully threaded design. if I'm not wrong only the suspension warranty would be voided.
All M-performance accessories are covered by warranty as confirmed by my dealer in Mumbai, including brakes, power kit (320d) and suspension.

F30s that I've seen seems to have pretty much the same fender-wheel gap as the EU/US spec cars. I haven't come across any info on what BMW means by poor road package on the F30 but the part number on the suspension components are the same.

If you do go for the coilovers, make sure you have a good garage to install and tweak them for you. It took us a while to achieve a balance that made the ride bearable over the bumps & speed-breakers but was still sharp and low enough.

Don't assume that the warranty will only be void on the suspension, confirm it with the dealer, get it in writing.

Current: BMW F13D, E38 735IL
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #26
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
All M-performance accessories are covered by warranty as confirmed by my dealer in Mumbai, including brakes, power kit (320d) and suspension.
Yeah but if you see the accessories list you won't find any M-Suspension on offer. If I order the M-Sport or M-Perf, it'd be a one-off import and since they would be importing it officially they will be bound to replace/repair the kits hence they are against the M-Perf suspension.

Quote:
F30s that I've seen seems to have pretty much the same fender-wheel gap as the EU/US spec cars. I haven't come across any info on what BMW means by poor road package on the F30 but the part number on the suspension components are the same.

If you do go for the coilovers, make sure you have a good garage to install and tweak them for you. It took us a while to achieve a balance that made the ride bearable over the bumps & speed-breakers but was still sharp and low enough.

Don't assume that the warranty will only be void on the suspension, confirm it with the dealer, get it in writing.
Will surely confirm before ordering. I don't have much option anyway. If I get them installed in Bombay it'd be viper performance (if there's a better option do let me know).

PS : Can you PM me how did you place the order for the F30 with NBT? I'm trying to get one but no availability.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 9.41.33 pm.png
Views: 1310
Size:  384.6 KB

This is what I was talking about
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
fre2bpowerless
Private First Class
India
Rep
Drives: Yes. :D

Quote:
Yeah but if you see the accessories list you won't find any M-Suspension on offer. If I order the M-Sport or M-Perf, it'd be a one-off import and since they would be importing it officially they will be bound to replace/repair the kits hence they are against the M-Perf suspension.

Will surely confirm before ordering. I don't have much option anyway. If I get them installed in Bombay it'd be viper performance (if there's a better option do let me know).

PS : Can you PM me how did you place the order for the F30 with NBT? I'm trying to get one but no availability.
A.R Motorsport in Mumbai has recently done a suspension upgrade on a BMW, have a chat with them. PM me if you need the number.

I've mentioned it on my thread, they are to give me a replacement car of the same spec, color, interior.

Current: BMW F13D, E38 735IL
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #29
UB
Private
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
After an extensive research, I have finalised on the BC Racing BR Series coilovers. My other considerations were the KW V2 and the Bilstein B14 but finalised on the BC Racing because it's the only one out of the three which can go the highest and the lowest because of its fully threaded design and also has 30 point adjustable dampers. The B14 doesn't even offer adjustable dampers for 1.8L and the KW V2 has less scope for height adjustment hence considering everything I have chosen the BC Racing BR Series. Will place the order in a week.
Do you know how much the BC Racing coilover will lower the car on it's highest setting?

I'd be careful if you want minimal lowering, many coilovers out there are quite low even on the highest setting.

The only one I hear that maintains a somewhat factory height is the Bilstein PSS10 Komfort

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...25&postcount=6
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB
Quote:
After an extensive research, I have finalised on the BC Racing BR Series coilovers. My other considerations were the KW V2 and the Bilstein B14 but finalised on the BC Racing because it's the only one out of the three which can go the highest and the lowest because of its fully threaded design and also has 30 point adjustable dampers. The B14 doesn't even offer adjustable dampers for 1.8L and the KW V2 has less scope for height adjustment hence considering everything I have chosen the BC Racing BR Series. Will place the order in a week.
Do you know how much the BC Racing coilover will lower the car on it's highest setting?

I'd be careful if you want minimal lowering, many coilovers out there are quite low even on the highest setting.

The only one I hear that maintains a somewhat factory height is the Bilstein PSS10 Komfort

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...25&postcount=6" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.f30post.c...ostcount=6</a>
We've tried to tell him, but he has his mind made up. I actually think the MPS might be his best option for a minimal drop.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #31
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We've tried to tell him, but he has his mind made up. I actually think the MPS might be his best option for a minimal drop.
but the MPS will break his back and probably the car when it encounters 4" craters in the road. The MPS is pretty stiff even on smooth Phoenix roads especially compared to the stock "US" suspension. I can imagine the "shock" he will get if he goes from the "Poor Road suspension" directly to the MPS.

In terms of offerings from BMW, I guess this is how it would go in terms of height+comfort:

Poor Road Suspension (India) > Stock suspension (US,Europe,etc) > Sport Suspension/ M-Sport suspension (US,Europe,etc) > M Performance Suspension
+? mm.................................,+20mm ................................... +10mm .................................................. .................. +0mm

OP ... one thing you can definitely do is to get rid of the RFTs and get some non-RFT tire with a softer sidewall (Conti DWS ?)

Last edited by rallybull; 11-29-2013 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #32
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB View Post

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...25&postcount=6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
From the feedback I got from this forum and going by the words of some vendors and some real life users (ANJAM from AUS is one of them) the car can be raised to the 'near stock height' as it has fully threaded adjustable design. Since this issue still isn't very clear I'd want some more reports before ordering because some people here has rightly pointed that the car can be 'too high at the lowest' and that would be a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
but the MPS will break his back and probably the car when it encounters 4" craters in the road. The MPS is pretty stiff even on smooth Phoenix roads especially compared to the stock "US" suspension. I can imagine the "shock" he will get if he goes from the "Poor Road suspension" directly to the MPS.

In terms of offerings from BMW, I guess this is how it would go in terms of height+comfort:

Poor Road Suspension (India) > Stock suspension (US,Europe,etc) > Sport Suspension/ M-Sport suspension (US,Europe,etc) > M Performance Suspension
+? mm.................................,+20mm ................................... +10mm .................................................. .................. +0mm

OP ... one thing you can definitely do is to get rid of the RFTs and get some non-RFT tire with a softer sidewall (Conti DWS ?)
The stock suspension of Indian spec F30s has 158mm of ground clearance. How bout ditching the performance and getting the US/EU spec M-Sport suspension?? The catlogue says that it will lower the car 10mm compared to the standard suspension but considering the INDIAN suspension, can anyone shed some light how much mm's would I lose ? The stock once again is 158mm. This might just be the best option if the height is lowered by around 30-35mm in comparison to the 158mm.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 02:38 AM   #33
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

Now let me put my dilemma / scenario more clearly.

The F30 that I'll be getting has a stock ground clearance of 158mm. The suspension that our Indian spec F30s get is the base suspension with the 'poor road package'. This, is much higher than EU/US spec base/standard suspension F30s which I reckon has a height of 140mm.

The M-Sport suspension according to the catalogue gives a 10mm drop over the 'standard suspension'.

The main question is if I get the M-Sport suspension, will it be 158mm minus 10mm for me or will the drop be according to the standard height of the EU/US spec suspension (140mm-10mm) ?

How exactly will my car change? 158mm minus 10mm OR 140mm minus 10mm?

Last edited by AdiSinghV12; 11-30-2013 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 05:21 AM   #34
lmaleke
Second Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: shifting priorities for now...

Quote:
Now let me put my dilemma / scenario more clearly.

The F30 that I'll be getting has a stock ground clearance of 158mm. The suspension that our Indian spec F30s get is the base suspension with the 'poor road package'. This, is much higher than EU/US spec base/standard suspension F30s which I reckon has a height of 140mm.

The M-Sport suspension according to the catalogue gives a 10mm drop over the 'standard suspension'.

The main question is if I get the M-Sport suspension, will it be 158mm minus 10mm for me or will the drop be according to the standard height of the EU/US spec suspension (140mm-10mm) ?

How exactly will my car change? 158mm minus 10mm OR 140mm minus 10mm?
yaar, no offense but you seems to over analyzing things . There's a thread somewhere in here measuring the fender gap and height between stock sport suspension and the MPS as the owner went to ahead with the MPS springs. I remember that the F30 color is dark gray and has the Msport packagace. Now, you could use that measurement to picture in your head on how your car will look like after the MPS..
Just like what Sedan_Clan, I and others have been saying: you'd better off with the MPS from reading your predicament and requirement...

Last edited by lmaleke; 11-30-2013 at 05:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #35
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep

fre2bpowerless pointed out that there's an 'adapter' whose length is around 18mm between the spring pad upper (11) and the spring pocket (13). Do you think this is solely responsible for the 18mm gain over the standard EU/US suspension? Is this the only component that makes the bad road package? If yes, can anyone suggest how can I get this removed? Removing this and opting for the M-Sport suspension will completely solve my problem. 158mm - 18mm (adapter delete) - 10mm M-Sport suspension = 130mm. This would be perfect for our roads!

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-11-30 at 8.03.51 pm.png
Views: 2109
Size:  400.2 KB
Appreciate 0