F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is this a good deal?
ARMA SPEED

12-07-2016, 07:13 AM   #45
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
The ride height looks too high, the suspension you get is the soft and can't be changed (if you pay for an M Sport car then why down grade back to soft suspension when the car was upgraded to M-sport suspension) The fuel economy is a lot lower (especially on a petrol car), the car was engineered to be rear wheel drive and handles better in that set up....and for 363 days per year you don't need it.

I was origionally going to go for an x-drive until I looked into it. Decided to go for rear wheel drive with adaptive M-Sport suspension. Not a decision I regret. Had the car for almost 12 months and never had a day when I couldn't use it. If it happens this year for the odd day or two I will use the wifes car.

Sorry to all those with X-drive cars who will do doubt disagree.
I will disagree.
Suspension is fine wouldn't say it's soft. Put it this way, on our roads I wouldn't want a stiffer ride, especially with 19" RFT. In any case, if you must, ACS springs.

Economy "a lot lower"?? May be a couple of mpg but if you have to save that you're buying the wrong car.

Handling is an interesting one. I'd wager xDrive can get the power down better hence the quicker 0-60 so drive out of corners is quicker. Given a typical greasy UK roundabout I'd happily test speed through it verse an sDrive and see who makes through in one piece.

As for the the snow days, I've caught out travelling from A-B when it started snowing mid journey, very happy to xDrive just for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #46
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
I cannot stand the height of x-drive cars. The F3X are such stunning cars ruined by the look of the ride height.
Appreciate 1
goodbyalfa1053.00
      12-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #47
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post

(only Sdrive I have had/driven was a 325i E46 and even with DSC on it would still let the back end go on a wet greasy roundabout)
I am being picky, both are great cars but I just prefer the S drive. The fact that the rear will give you a warning when you are pushing it is a plus point for me, and easy to correct. 4 wheel drives will hold on longer but then lose it big time and often there's no getting it back.

I was a Police officer for 30 years and spent 25 of those on Traffic and Motorway, and as a Forensic Collision Investigator that looked into handling issues in fatal crashes. Have driven lots of high powered cars of all types of drive dating back to the Ford Sierra Cosworth right up to modern day 335d's both in S and X-drive. Had one to one tuition at Mira test track on vehicle handling and pushing cars to their limits in the wet, dry and simulated snow and ice. One of the cars I used for that was a rear wheel drive M3.

All have their pro's and cons but I prefer the handling and predictability of the BMW S-drive.

Last edited by sensible; 12-07-2016 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #48
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CazuaLLUK View Post
I cannot stand the height of x-drive cars. The F3X are such stunning cars ruined by the look of the ride height.
      12-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #49
Notechy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530d xDrive SE

Quote:
I am being picky, both are great cars but I just prefer the S drive. The fact that the rear will give you a warning when you are pushing it is a plus point for me, and easy to correct. 4 wheel drives will hold on longer but then lose it big time and often there's no getting it back.

I was a Police officer for 30 years and spent 25 of those on Traffic and Motorway, and as a Forensic Collision Investigator that looked into handling issues in fatal crashes. Have driven lots of high powered cars of all types of drive dating back to the Ford Sierra Cosworth right up to modern day 335d's both in S and X-drive. Had one to one tuition at Mira test track on vehicle handling and pushing cars to their limits in the wet, dry and simulated snow and ice. One of the cars I used for that was a rear wheel drive M3.

All have their pro's and cons but I prefer the handling and predictability of the BMW S-drive.
Interesting
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #50
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
Ruined? Mmm.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #51
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
ETTO. They are hardly on stilts.

Quote:
Interesting. But you also have to look at the other side of the coin. I've had more low speed slides in my previous sDrive BMWs than my xDrive. You don't need to be pushing it to lose it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #52
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Quote:

I too am (was?) a RWD person. Just not long got rid of my MK1 Mexico that I had for nearly 30yr and bought a Focus RS because it was "almost" RWD.

Good point about the predictability of SDrive - haven't properly pushed the Xdrive to know. But people (can I generalise 4x4 owners?) do think that 4WD/AWD make them invincible.

We are all probably being picky - modern day cars are exceptional. A family car pushing out over 300hp in either 2or4wd status - even in estate form. Both cars handle exceptionally well.

Motorists have never had it so good!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #53
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

In the last week I've gone from a M Sport 320d F31 S-drive to a 335d F31 obviously with X-drive and I've got to say I'm preferring the softer suspension. I live in rural Cambridgeshire where the roads aren't great and I actually feel more secure with the softer suspension. For example as I come out of the village and put my foot down there's a slight bump that in the 320d with the stiffer suspension made the car feel skittish. The softer suspension seems to absorb it that much better without throwing the car off-line. There's other bumps and undulations where the softer suspension just seems to grip the road better than the M Sport suspension and I don't feel I'm fighting it to keep it from jumping about.

I've got the car on a cheap 11 month contract, ideally I would have specified adaptive suspension but I've kept it as is and I'm happy with it.

And I don't even notice the extra ride height. Even when I had both on my drive looking at them you couldn't see the difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #54
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

You have to ask why BMW have not produced an M3 in X-drive. Probably because it is a compromise too far.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:01 AM   #55
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You have to ask why BMW have not produced an M3 in X-drive. Probably because it is a compromise too far.
Lamborghini might disagree.
And you could also argue why haven't they produced an M4 GC? That would look amazing.

Anyway, I'll just leave this here for now:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1332342
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:07 AM   #56
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Quote:
And you could also argue why haven't they produced an M4 GC? That would look amazing.

That is an interesting point and I'd add Porsche into that mix with the Carrera 4.

I'm sure if other manufacturers could manage it, then the m division could come up with a decent 4wd/ AWD set up if they put their minds to it.

Perhaps it comes down to cost vs perceived demand.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:10 AM   #57
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Quote:

And the Audi Quattros 4 wheel drives which revolutionised rally driving some years ago.

For christs sake how much higher is the x drive suspension than S drive. 12 inches or 24 inches? My new 330d with xdrive and post LCI suspension tweeks drives as well and comfortably as any car I've travelled in.(MIND ON MICHELIN PILOT SS TYRES) .Also I see very little of the look of the exterior when I'm behind the wheel.

If the Op wants Xdrive let him have it, particularly if he's happy for the car to sort out his traction problems for him.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2016, 06:52 AM   #58
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tallon View Post
Quote:

And the Audi Quattros 4 wheel drives which revolutionised rally driving some years ago.

For christs sake how much higher is the x drive suspension than S drive. 12 inches or 24 inches? My new 330d with xdrive and post LCI suspension tweeks drives as well and comfortably as any car I've travelled in.(MIND ON MICHELIN PILOT SS TYRES) .Also I see very little of the look of the exterior when I'm behind the wheel.

If the Op wants Xdrive let him have it, particularly if he's happy for the car to sort out his traction problems for him.
In all honesty before I started reading threads on this subject I didn't really notice the height difference.

When my attention was drawn to it I can see the difference but for me it's minimal. Subjective I suppose but I'd guess that the majority outside of this forum may not notice either.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 06:53 AM   #59
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcooluz View Post
Hiya,

Thanks for your advice I would love to go for a bigger engine but at this stage I dont think I can afford to run such a big engine. I am looking for a decent engine like 420d which is not too slow and gives better mpg. Maybe one day i'll consider bigger engine but I not right now i guess.
Before you do this, I urge you to get yourself into a dealers and test drive the 420d and 430d back to back. The 3.0d engine makes the whole car for me full stop.
Once you really look into the finances (once all spec is compared as you get extra on the 3.0d like full parking sensors etc.) the prices just were not that different, including insurance. mpg diff will be ~ 5 mpg worse for the 3.0d.

After I had the two test drives there was NO WAY ON EARTH I was going to be running the 2.0d tractor. Pretty powerless and dreadful sounding IMHO.
The 3.0 is a completely different (and better) beast. 40-70mph makes me grin even now, 1.5 years down the line... Try them out!
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
rich100874.50
      12-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #60
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
After I had the two test drives there was NO WAY ON EARTH I was going to be running the 2.0d tractor. Pretty powerless and dreadful sounding IMHO.
190bhp is hardly powerless! I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of driving the 2.0d.

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #61
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPoisson View Post
190bhp is hardly powerless! I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of driving the 2.0d.
You cant win with some people man, they live in a world where only their opinion matters.
Appreciate 1
rich100874.50