F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > CIC navigation reboot
Studio RSR

12-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
messygarageBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i sport line

Garage List
CIC navigation reboot

2012 F30 335i with navigation. Until recently everything was fine but now I have a gremlin and I'm looking for any information anyone has so here is what it is doing.

GPS seems to work fine as the map view (when not doing navigating to an address) works. It is smooth and I can change map views and the zoom levels with no issues. Menus all work fine. Putting in an address works fine. There seems to be no lag in working through the prompts, etc. The problem is when I start the navigation to the address. It looks fine for a few seconds and then I notice that the map has frozen, the turn information in my heads up display is not updating anymore. After a short while of this being frozen, the entire system reboots. The music stops, I get the BMW logo on the screen and it tries to start navigation again. This will continue until I stop navigation. Again it is back to the maps working fine, music playing, and all is right with the world. This was all working fine until a few months ago and I can't seem to figure out what the issue is.

Any help is appreciated.
      12-19-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

Have you updated your maps recently?

If so that is most likely your problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 06:22 AM   #3
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Or the hard disk is on the way out? That's if your car has a hard disk based nav?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #4
messygarageBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmith2939 View Post
Have you updated your maps recently?

If so that is most likely your problem.
I have not updated maps in over a year so that doesn't seem to be it. I wish it were because it would be easier to just revert.
      12-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #5
messygarageBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Or the hard disk is on the way out? That's if your car has a hard disk based nav?
I do have the hard disk in that I can save music to the car. The music doesn't have any issues playing so I had not thought that was it but I could possibly be it. Do you have any information on how to diagnose this further?

It is driving me crazy.
      02-01-2019, 12:40 AM   #6
pcwong325
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 Sedan

I have the EXACT same problem.

I admit I did use Carly BMW app/module and changed a few settings, but I reverted them all back, including GPS time, true speed (that doesn't work in US models anyway).

I will add that on occasion the Nav does "work", subjectively, I'm guessing it's when the car is "warm" and been driving for 20+ minutes. I know that sounds absolutely insane, but I can repeat it. Every morning, enter destination, works a few seconds, freezes, reboots. By the time I almost reach my destination, I punch destination in again, no hang. When I return home, I purposely don't enter a destination, by the time i'm close to home, I enter a destination, again no hang.

Hopefully someone has some insights.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
messygarageBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwong325 View Post

I admit I did use Carly BMW app/module and changed a few settings, but I reverted them all back, including GPS time, true speed (that doesn't work in US models anyway).

I will add that on occasion the Nav does "work", subjectively, I'm guessing it's when the car is "warm" and been driving for 20+ minutes. I know that sounds absolutely insane, but I can repeat it. Every morning, enter destination, works a few seconds, freezes, reboots. By the time I almost reach my destination, I punch destination in again, no hang. When I return home, I purposely don't enter a destination, by the time i'm close to home, I enter a destination, again no hang.

Mine is working occasionally but I can't find a pattern like you have. The last time it wasn't working was on a 130 mile trip so my car was warmed up. I'm actually thinking I may have a hard drive starting to crap out. Considering changing it over to a SSD to see if that works. When/If I do that I will post back here how I did it and if it worked.
      02-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #8
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 330d SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwong325 View Post

I had a similar thing with NBT navigation. On winter mornings it would spontaneously reboot during driving, regardless of navigation or address entry. In my case it wasn't happening when the car was cold, but rather after about 20 minutes of driving. My theory is that it was during the rapid warming up due to cabin heating that would crash the system. In warmer days or during summer was always rock solid.

Never solved it as it super difficult to reproduce, could only be fixed by swapping the whole unit, and it's a lottery for how the new unit would behave anyway.
Appreciate 0