F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What did you do to your F3X today?
proTUNING Freaks

11-24-2020, 01:55 AM   #9307
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340i9114s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Full waxing. Took just over 4 hours continuous work (with the car already thoroughly washed and prepped).

I enjoy car detailing but do not comprehend how some manage (and enjoy) to wax every couple of weeks or even couple of months!? They are either doing it sloppy or literally have nothing elso to do or enjoy...!?
Damn man - 4 hours?!?!

I can do a full exterior wash and wax in 90-105 mins. And if I do a spray wax more like 60-75 mins
That's exactly what I don't grasp. That's simply impossible if you are doing it right! Please elaborate?

- A normal wash - foaming, power washer, two bucket hand wash, power washer, drying (even if I use the quicker micro-fibre drying towels) takes me min an hour. Since I use hot-blower to dry contact-less, it's min of 90min altogether, without the prep and putting things back in place.

- If I am to wax however, there is an additional decontamination process - tar removal chemicals, ironX if required, clay bar if required, thorough inspection panel by panel during the wash. What is the point of "conserving" dirt and debris by putting wax on top!? A pre-wax wash is around 2,5 hours in total for me. Not counting the extra time for prep and putting back things in order.

- forget speed-wax / liquid-wax. That's just for water-droplets fetishists. I use hard wax. Even with the "quicker one", which is to be wiped off after 3min of application (the other one I use for my Audi should cure for 20min before wiping off), for example for my bonnet alone I need approx 15 min (7-8 min to apply, 7-8 to polish off evenly). Panel by panel, it takes about 2,5-3 h alone for that. But then come the plastic and rubber details, which are treated with another product, another 20-ish min. With some inspection time, etc - you easily get to 3,5-4h. That's without windshield/glass treatment, without rims and exhaust tips (separately ceramic coated), without tires (occasional tire-dressing, add at least another 30 min for all).

So please explain to me how you manage all of the above in 90min, instead of 6-8 hours!??

Last edited by Skyhigh; 11-24-2020 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 05:43 AM   #9308
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

90 mins for a wash?
Takes me 3 hours! Probably 40 mins for the wheels alone😩
I spent six hours to wash and wax yesterday. But I'm anal and have to get into every nook and cranny.
You guys must be a blur
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1889.50
      11-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #9309
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
90 mins for a wash?
Takes me 3 hours! Probably 40 mins for the wheels alone��
I spent six hours to wash and wax yesterday. But I'm anal and have to get into every nook and cranny.
You guys must be a blur
Exactly my point. It should either be done properly or no point of doing it at all

6-8 hours is what I need on avarage for wash and wax, depending on the condition and scope. That's without prep and putting things back, etc. That's why lately I started splitting it - e.g. do the washing on a Saturday, waxing on a Sunday or next weekend. This also gives it good time to dry completely. (waterdrops remain here and there even after blow-drying).

This is also why I am only interested in durable, long-lasting waxes. A wax that only lasts a couple of weeks is of absolutely no use to me. That also means the protection is minimal and unreliable.
      11-24-2020, 06:44 AM   #9310
340i9114s
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M sport, TH

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Full waxing. Took just over 4 hours continuous work (with the car already thoroughly washed and prepped).

I enjoy car detailing but do not comprehend how some manage (and enjoy) to wax every couple of weeks or even couple of months!? They are either doing it sloppy or literally have nothing elso to do or enjoy...!?
Damn man - 4 hours?!?!

I can do a full exterior wash and wax in 90-105 mins. And if I do a spray wax more like 60-75 mins
That's exactly what I don't grasp. That's simply impossible if you are doing it right! Please elaborate?

- A normal wash - foaming, power washer, two bucket hand wash, power washer, drying (even if I use the quicker micro-fibre drying towels) takes me min an hour. Since I use hot-blower to dry contact-less, it's min of 90min altogether, without the prep and putting things back in place.

- If I am to wax however, there is an additional decontamination process - tar removal chemicals, ironX if required, clay bar if required, thorough inspection panel by panel during the wash. What is the point of "conserving" dirt and debris by putting wax on top!? A pre-wax wash is around 2,5 hours in total for me. Not counting the extra time for prep and putting back things in order.

- forget speed-wax / liquid-wax. That's just for water-droplets fetishists. I use hard wax. Even with the "quicker one", which is to be wiped off after 3min of application (the other one I use for my Audi should cure for 20min before wiping off), for example for my bonnet alone I need approx 15 min (7-8 min to apply, 7-8 to polish off evenly). Panel by panel, it takes about 2,5-3 h alone for that. But then come the plastic and rubber details, which are treated with another product, another 20-ish min. With some inspection time, etc - you easily get to 3,5-4h. That's without windshield/glass treatment, without rims and exhaust tips (separately ceramic coated), without tires (occasional tire-dressing, add at least another 30 min for all).

So please explain to me how you manage all of the above in 90min, instead of 6-8 hours!??
To be far you never mentioned the tar, ironx and clay bar. You said wash - wax. I wash/wax the car once a week, I'll do a detail far less often. Maybe once every month or two. My rims (442) are fairly easy to clean (not many spokes). This does remind me though, to do a detailing soon, so thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #9311
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
To be far you never mentioned the tar, ironx and clay bar. You said wash - wax. I wash/wax the car once a week, I'll do a detail far less often. Maybe once every month or two. My rims (442) are fairly easy to clean (not many spokes). This does remind me though, to do a detailing soon, so thanks!
So you put wax on top of dirt (if you don't remove the small, sticky tar and metal elements from your clearcoat)? What is the point of that? You are actually conserving them this way, whilst adding new ones until the next wash...

Even without those steps, I don't get how you can even just wash the car properly, not to mention apply wax and buff it off, all within 90-100min? What wax do you use?
      11-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #9312
340i9114s
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i M sport, TH

Depending on time I have 3 diff options -

Full exterior wash (full rims/wheels, calipers, diffuser, muffler tips, door wells, engine bay), with chemical guys banana spray wax ~ 75mins

Full exterior wash, with mothers carnauba wax ~ 105 mins

Full exterior wash, swirl mark removal (black car), clay bar + carnauba wax ~ 160mins

The first two options are what I do the most, and the car comes out looking great.

I am now curious on what products you are using, do you mind posting them? Always looking for ways to improve and it sounds like i have some room to

Also want to add, I live in a highrise, so have to go to a self wash station. Annoying...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #9313
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

I definitely think there is "some" room for improvement in your process, based on the times you specify I am by no means competing for speed when I do that stuff, but not sitting drinking beer either

Here my different options:

Simple contact-less wash:
  • Spray foam, (wait 3-5min)
  • Power-wash thoroughly
  • Optionally blow-dry... fully or at least roughly, to avoid water spotting.
Duration: 20-30 min (with drying - ~45min)

Full routine wash:
  • Spray foam, (wait 3-5min)
  • Power-wash
  • 2-Bucket hand-wash. 2 Different mitts - one for the dirtier zones (lower parts + rear), one for the cleaner parts. Rinsed in clean water at least once for every detail.
  • Removal of obvious elements (tar/metal debris) stuck on the coat carefully with fingernail during the washing process.
  • Washing of rims - separate (rim-specific) small mitt
  • Power-wash
  • Drying with MF towels or blow-drying (prefer the latter, although much slower)
Duration: ~90 min

Pre-wax wash:
All of the above plus:
  • Tar-removal spray on the dirty zones + additional power wash (after the foaming)
  • Optionally IronX on the dirty Zones + additional power wash (after the tar-removal)
  • Optionally Clay bar - I avoid this at all cost. In most cases the chemistry above does its job and claying is not required
  • Anal inspection to ensure no particles stuck on clearcoat (during the hand wash)
  • More thorough drying
Duration: 1,5 - 2,5 h, depending on the contamination

Waxing
Pretty much according to wax application instructions. I only use waxes that last min 5-6 Months, so that I don't need to perform the job more than twice a year. I am quite happy with Soft 99 Fusso Coat, which I use for my Audi. Very hydrophobic and durable. It lasts for minimum 8 months without visible degradation on my vehicle (assuming it is applied on a decontaminated surface, which goes back to a proper wash)
If it is a first-time application of a particular wax - I do IPA wipe-down to ensure no old wax residuals. If I am re-applying the same product, I do it directly. Fusso Coat requires ~20 min cure time per panel, before you can buff it off. I use that wax also on headlights and taillights. Rubber details and matte plastic gets a treatment with Koch Chemie PSS.
(The BMW is "frozen", which requires a different set of products, so not going into that here.)
Duration, excluding rims and tires: 3,5 - 5 h, that is in addition to the "Pre-wax wash" above.

For the first time ever I applied ceramic-coating to my rims (both summer and winter) and exhaust tips beginning of this year. It should last for up to 2 years. So far I am very happy with it. Intending to do it in the future as well. This is best done whilst the wheels are off.

That's pretty much all of it. The exterior detailing, that is. I have a polishing machine too, which I apply as necessary, but that goes beyond routine detailing in my opinion. Belongs more in the category "repair" than "detailing".
      11-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #9314
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

Here are my breakdowns:

Usual go-to: Exterior hand wash (even in winter, just a giant bucket of hot water from the shower), clean/brush all four wheels, door jambs, exhaust tips, dry & detailer spray final wipe down = 60 - 90 mins

The above + an intermediate spray wax/sealant for the in-between periods = 2.5 hours

Full clay/macro-abrasives cleaner/fine-abrasives polish/sealant = A cumulative 4-6 hours usually spread out on a weekend with beer/whiskey & music jamming.

I've been interested in detailing since I was 13 years old (didn't have lot of friends growing up) and I can surely say that my energy levels are not what they used to be then. A full detail like the above was something I could bang out in an afternoon with energy to spare. But I also take my time now and enjoy it more as a therapeutic distraction from the world.

Last edited by jnj2455; 11-24-2020 at 08:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:43 AM   #9315
Commerce
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Instead of waxing, you should consider a ceramic coating. It'll make washing your car easier and more enjoyable. I wouldn't say it saves me any time, if anything it takes longer because I am being extra careful to avoid marring the paint.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #9316
first_f30
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E70 X5, '14 F30 328xi

Wireless Charging in the F30

I got tired of the phone cord so I permanently fixed the hassle and installed a wireless charger from AliExpress. Cost about $70, shipped. Took a couple weeks from China. It looks perfect. Still have function of the cigarette lighter while also having a 15W fast charger for my iPhone X, there's enough room for a slightly larger phone as well.

Install took about 35mins. I used the clips and cigarette lighter assembly from the OEM tray. Just need a torx wrench and that's about it.

Installed in a 2014 328i xDrive

This is the Title on AliExpress: 15W car wireless charger For BMWF30 F31 F32 F33 F34 F35 F36 M4 F82 fast charging plate panel watercup holder accessories 2014

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I couldn't find much on the topic when I first looked.
Attached Images

21" x 11.5"- 38mm Offset (R) (Black)
Appreciate 1
haagm58809.50
      11-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #9317
ggrcrash
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 x-drive

gained1hp, Not the real ones...Amazon specials
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Commerce278.00
      11-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #9318
Neil_p
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

Just got a muffler delete and sounds great
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 08:52 PM   #9319
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Lol.... Mine... 7 minutes and they vacuum inside too... $18...that includes WAX!... Never get any swirls... maybe a good detail in another year or two.. for the most part keep it clean/ parked in a garage and it will look good a long time..

Name:  20201110_145105_32.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  321.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #9320
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

For those who haven't messed with their auto stop/start function, does yours kick on normally in comfort mode? I think I turned it off by default accidentally via Bimmercode but then switched it back and since then, it only kicks on during Eco mode. In comfort mode, it doesn't have that graphic where it shows that auto stop/start is disabled but I can't get it to happen at stop lights even after a long drive with charging the battery.

Bear in mind I have a manual, so it only shuts off when the clutch is not depressed and the car is in neutral.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 11:08 PM   #9321
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
For those who haven't messed with their auto stop/start function, does yours kick on normally in comfort mode? I think I turned it off by default accidentally via Bimmercode but then switched it back and since then, it only kicks on during Eco mode. In comfort mode, it doesn't have that graphic where it shows that auto stop/start is disabled but I can't get it to happen at stop lights even after a long drive with charging the battery.

Bear in mind I have a manual, so it only shuts off when the clutch is not depressed and the car is in neutral.
I'm comfort it's supposed to remember last setting by default IIRC, in eco it's on unless you disable. I haven't messed with the settings and I have 6mt too.
#savethemanuals
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:17 AM   #9322
SSonics
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F32

Installed sequential turn signal
Before and after pics attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:22 AM   #9323
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Quote:
Lol.... Mine... 7 minutes and they vacuum inside too... $18...that includes WAX!... Never get any swirls... maybe a good detail in another year or two.. for the most part keep it clean/ parked in a garage and it will look good a long time..

Attachment 2468727
Yeah, keep dreaming of no swirls and no scratches
Just need a flashlight and your 18 dollars will turn into a nightmare.
Been there, done that.
And after 14 hours of machine polishing, I promised myself it will either be a hand wash from now on or no wash at all. That was in 2014.
      11-25-2020, 01:49 AM   #9324
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, keep dreaming of no swirls and no scratches
Just need a flashlight and your 18 dollars will turn into a nightmare.
Been there, done that.
And after 14 hours of machine polishing, I promised myself it will either be a hand wash from now on or no wash at all. That was in 2014.
I have to confess.. I probably wash mine to if I had the facilities to do it... But to combat the issue I only wash my car 3 times a year... dust mop and drive on only nice days...lol... car wash near me is good thou... pre-wash cars before going in...seriously, no swirls to speak of... figure in a year or 2 do a 1800 wet sand and wheel it out... just wish it would fix the rock chips off the front fascia... lol... bought some Dr Chip that I'd swear by just didn't have time this past summer to work on it the way I wanted.. Thumbs up to ya!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 02:18 AM   #9325
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Ironically I did more when I had absolutely no facilities. I would drive to the office garage during the weekend when there is no one there to do detailing or retrofits. Stay there for hours (sometimes more than 10) and come back home in the evening completely exhausted but happy. Now I can do it all right in front of my door... and I find it more exhausting and find time for it more rarely

But I often envy people who don't have my level of OCD and do not see what I see So try to take good care, to the extent possible and satisfactory to you!
      11-25-2020, 04:32 AM   #9326
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

20 minutes.

I've been detailing for years. Touchless carwash. Wipedown to make sure things are dry and clean.

I sprayed sonax and did the wipedown with that.

I have not washed the car for over 1 year. Still looks clean, drive it daily. Yeah, it's possible, maybe not in salt water, but it works here in the south.
Appreciate 2
      11-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #9327
Sigge
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d xDrive 2016

Hey,

First post here, been a lurker for quite some time. Brought this baby home today!

420d xDrive M-performance 2016 with only 24k miles on the meter.

Already planning my first mods!

Sorry for the lowres pictures, got them of the dealer website
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
eff32fl1051.50
MSCD3186.00
visionaut1307.00
haagm58809.50
FrankDK170.00
      11-25-2020, 11:57 PM   #9328
democratic_underground
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Full service today. Foam cannon, waxed, vacuumed, fluid topped off and tire pressure. Ready for the holiday weekend cruise!
Appreciate 0