F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > So how do I use these jack adaptors with this fancy jack?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #1
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

So how do I use these jack adaptors with this fancy jack?

Bought myself a nice Halfords advanced 3 ton low jack (very impressed with this for the price) I have the puck sized rubber adaptors with the ridge that slot into the sills, however the pad on the jack is at least triple the side of the adaptor. YouTube seems to show people just placing the adaptor on the pad and just jacking. Does the force keep it in place? Bit nervous it's just sat on the bad without anything securing or clipping it in.

Other option is to jack on the rear diff (seems to be safe?) and then just placing on axle stands somehow

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

The weight of the car and the friction between the jack pad and the puck will keep everything in place.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #3
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Don't worry, it'll sit there absolutely fine. My jacking pad on the jack itself is a bit deformed (years of jacking it on the Impreza diff and sump guard) so I sometimes have to hold the adaptor in place until it's located in the sill slot but you shouldn't have that issue with a new jack. It'll sit there fine and it'll hold everything solid.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Perfect cheers guys. Where can I place the rear axle stands, they aren't the type I can fit an adaptor on they're the usual claw type so guessing sills are out the question.
Also is the rear diff ok to jack on? told to avoid the side/cover with the oil drain plug
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 04:36 AM   #5
James-335dx
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Performance

This might be helpful. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISHpkxt4cEw

Looks like the best way is to secure at the jacking points so you might need to upgrade your axel stands and get a few more pad adaptors. I don't think one axel stand in the centre would be that safe if you're going to be working underneath. Remember these F30's are heavy brutes.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:59 AM   #6
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

The cup on my jack comes off with a split pin underneath so that the pad sits nicely on the jack. I find it best to hold the jack pad in the rectangular hole on the car and raise the jack to meet it, adjusting slightly so the meet centrally.

Just to point out that the rectangular section goes into the jacking points on the car and the round section sits on the jack, so it is the same way up as your photo. Your description sounds like you are using it the other way up.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 08:21 AM   #7
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-335dx View Post

Looks like the best way is to secure at the jacking points so you might need to upgrade your axel stands and get a few more pad adaptors. I don't think one axel stand in the centre would be that safe if you're going to be working underneath. Remember these F30's are heavy brutes.
deffo a top tip to get those ESCO jack stands with the flat circular head.
much easier to accommodate the adapter pucks.

not worth saving money buying the usual type from SG engineering/halfords, as the jack points sit awkwardly on them even with the jack pad pucks in between.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:

Yeah I've seen a few where people have fitted a snug piece of wood into the jack point and used a stand with that. Others have simply cradled the jack point with the axel stand so I'll try those. Definitely wouldn't just use a single stand on the diff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
The cup on my jack comes off with a split pin underneath so that the pad sits nicely on the jack. I find it best to hold the jack pad in the rectangular hole on the car and raise the jack to meet it, adjusting slightly so the meet centrally.

Just to point out that the rectangular section goes into the jacking points on the car and the round section sits on the jack, so it is the same way up as your photo. Your description sounds like you are using it the other way up.
Haha thanks yes I did figure out which way round it went at least!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
Quote:

deffo a top tip to get those ESCO jack stands with the flat circular head.
much easier to accommodate the adapter pucks.

not worth saving money buying the usual type from SG engineering/halfords, as the jack points sit awkwardly on them even with the jack pad pucks in between.
Will see how I get on, have a pair of high quality really sturdy decent stands with little use so ideally don't want to buy replacements. Although of course if they don't secure the car then I'll have to...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #9
BigBanana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beemer F30 335D

Depending on what the jackpad material is, you could use a long woodscrew, screwed up from the bottom centre. (Not long enough to go straight through).

Leave 10mm or so, of the screw head protruding which fits into the jack slot.

I did something similar but drilled a hole and put a long bolt straight through, which does a similar job.

It does give a feeling of some stability.