F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i b58 coolant loss
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: Does your b58 consume coolant?
Yes 141 62.67%
No 84 37.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

12-30-2020, 04:24 AM   #243
Cobra358
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCarCulture View Post
I doubt BMW would change the water pump without having any warranty since its their manufacture defect?

Im also experiencing that white saltine. Im assuming my coolant lose is not just from this issue around the cap but the actual water pump itself?

Also, should I change the cap as well? I heard that's something that is recommended.
My main tank has been low twice in the last 10k miles, 44k total miles. I have that white residue under the cap. I am wondering if the cap has a design defect and doesn't seal, this would explain why it will still lose water over time even with a replacement cap.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:19 AM   #244
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Not sure what age your car is (profile?) but BMW updatet their cap with a new number.
17117639020. Do you want to have a look if you still got the old one?
      01-07-2021, 08:46 PM   #245
calidude
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

42K miles and my water pump is leaking and the dealer wants $2,238.45 to replace it and my warranty just expired less than 30 days ago
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 02:02 AM   #246
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidude View Post
42K miles and my water pump is leaking and the dealer wants $2,238.45 to replace it and my warranty just expired less than 30 days ago
Are you talking about the mechanical one?

https://www.leebmann24.de/kuehlmitte...517643067.html

They must be having a laugh? Will they take the engine out?
      01-10-2021, 07:53 AM   #247
UrbanCarCulture
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by calidude View Post
Dude the pump is under $200 bucks. Plus another $200 for labor at a BMW indie shop, $60 for coolant. Way cheaper and just saved yourself a ton of money.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 08:04 AM   #248
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F36 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra358 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCarCulture View Post
I doubt BMW would change the water pump without having any warranty since its their manufacture defect?

Im also experiencing that white saltine. Im assuming my coolant lose is not just from this issue around the cap but the actual water pump itself?

Also, should I change the cap as well? I heard that's something that is recommended.
My main tank has been low twice in the last 10k miles, 44k total miles. I have that white residue under the cap. I am wondering if the cap has a design defect and doesn't seal, this would explain why it will still lose water over time even with a replacement cap.
I had the same issue.

Cleaned off all the white residue and applied some silicone grease to the threads.

Cap now screws on and off easily and no coolant loss for over a year - 5k miles.
      01-15-2021, 06:42 AM   #249
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

I'm 'sipping' very little coolant, but it is going somewhere. Not out the caps. Maybe an ounce every 1,000 miles. I'll get to looking better when it gets worse.

...and now I'm hearing b58s might be having oil pressure issues, though perhaps only in our tuned variants...idk. I'm keeping mine stock and praying!

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 05:38 PM   #250
Cozmo Kraemer
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2003 M3

I have a coolant issue as well. I had gotten the low coolant warning intermittantly every 6 months or so, for the last year. I just put more coolant in, fine. But this last month, I have gotten the warning 4 times. I always refill... comes back. The last little while I get a puddle under my car some mornings.

Took it to BMW. They pressure test. No issues they say. Send me the video of the inspection, say everything is dry. I see the white residue on parts under the car, but they wont listen to me. If the car leaks on heat soak after shut off... that would probably be cap related? I'm guessing? It's a weird issue no doubt.

2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, Swaintech coated SSV1 Headers/SS catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 06:38 PM   #251
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
If you've got to refill so often now, I would invest in a new lid
      02-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #252
Cozmo Kraemer
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2003 M3

My car is under the full extended warranty. They can deal with it.

2004 E46M3 - BBS RGR, BMW Motorsport 3.91, Eibach Pro Street S Coilovers (500/600), GC plates, Swaintech coated SSV1 Headers/SS catted/resonated section 1, Karbonious CSL intake, Shrick 280/272 cams, CSL DME Conversion, TTFS tune
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 11:53 AM   #253
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmo Kraemer View Post
even better
      03-20-2021, 12:21 PM   #254
blaxer007
Registered
Rep

I'm also having the coolant loss problem. Took a guess and replaced the main reservoir cap. That didn't help. Finally found that after the engine reaches operating temperature and while operating around 2500 rpm (in park) the coolant pump appears to be leaking. Ordered a new water pump last week. Hoping that once the old pump is off the failure mode will be obvious. What helped me get to this diagnosis was a very thorough investigation after driving the car and found some small pools of moisture on the plastic underbelly of the car.
Appreciate 1
BWbimmer276.50
      03-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #255
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmo Kraemer View Post
Was your problem resolved?
      03-21-2021, 12:24 AM   #256
ZoranTerzic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f32 435i

What year models is this happening to? Does anyone know if they've revised the system on a particular year model?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 09:28 AM   #257
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoranTerzic View Post
What year models is this happening to? Does anyone know if they've revised the system on a particular year model?
My car is a 2018 and had some loss. Also the cause of leaks are pretty widespread, so it could be anything. It's not limited to a specific model year.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 11:38 PM   #258
ZoranTerzic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoranTerzic View Post
My car is a 2018 and had some loss. Also the cause of leaks are pretty widespread, so it could be anything. It's not limited to a specific model year.
Thanks for the help mate!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 11:15 AM   #259
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Want to add my experience here, hopefully it will help others...

I too, am experiencing coolant loss. 2017 (07/17 SA build) 330i xDrive. Bought in January with 28k miles, now at 34k (REALLY need to stop taking joyrides).

At 31k, was having an issue that I thought had nothing to do with coolant. AC system was short cycling and therefore not working very well. After trying to figure it out myself (couldn't) I brought it to my dealer. They found the secondary coolant tank to be bone dry, the one for the AC and intercooler system. AC was short cycling to protect the engine and prevent overheating. No warning light, but it looks like the auxiliary tank does not have a sensor. Added coolant, pressure tested twice over two days, found no leaks and everying was working great again, so off home it goes.

Now at 34k, I found my AC short cycling again. Popped the cap, and while not bone dry, it was low again. Added coolant and everything is fine again for the time being. I didn't have to add very much, maybe a cup tops.

This thread has given a lot of helpful information, so I'm going to dig further into this on my own and post my results. I have not checked the main tank yet, or checked for evidence of coolant loss near the caps. Naturally, I spilled some filling it so I'm going to have to clean everything off and keep an eye on it.

My guess is, at least in my case, that the cap(s) are the main culprit here. With the small amount lost, regular 3k top off intervals, and two negative pressure tests, it would make the most sense given the consistency and lack of worsening progression.

I'm going to clean, inspect, and fully top off both tanks and caps. I'll monitor them, watch for any signs of leakage, replace one or both caps and return with my results. BTW, caps can be found for $10 each at RockAuto, so if this appears to be increasingly common, it would make a good first start to inexpensively try to correct the issue without a trip to the dealer.

Unless of course, the caps themselves are just a defective design and regular top offs are going to become necessary.

*EDIT* Sorry, didn't read closely enough...thread title clearly says B58 but my mind saw B48. I'll still follow up, might be useful information anyway.

Last edited by auburnf30x; 03-29-2021 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 08:19 PM   #260
auburnf30x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
Ok, so a few things...

Part numbers for the coolant caps appear to fit virtually all BMWs made for several model years, regardless of the platform or engine involved. I’d be curious to know if other platforms have the same issue.

I got a recent (last 1000 miles) oil analysis back from Blackstone, no antifreeze at all found in the oil.

I can’t find anything directly saying so, but I’ve gotten the impression that these things are regular wear maintenance items and must be periodically replaced. Given that they are simple mechanical devices with rubber seals working under pressure it would make sense.

Moving on to mine in particular, I found evidence that there is coolant escaping around the cap seals, from one side in particular.

One side shows both the threads and cap have recent residue all the way down to the base.

My main reservoir is full with no signs of recent leaking. Threads and cap are dry. It does, however, show the white dust that others have mentioned as a possible sign of past leaks, so I may replace it anyway.

I’ll report back after I’ve had the new one on for a while to see how it improves.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:58 AM   #261
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
Want to add my experience here, hopefully it will help others...

I too, am experiencing coolant loss. 2017 (07/17 SA build) 330i xDrive. Bought in January with 28k miles, now at 34k (REALLY need to stop taking joyrides).

At 31k, was having an issue that I thought had nothing to do with coolant. AC system was short cycling and therefore not working very well. After trying to figure it out myself (couldn't) I brought it to my dealer. They found the secondary coolant tank to be bone dry, the one for the AC and intercooler system. AC was short cycling to protect the engine and prevent overheating. No warning light, but it looks like the auxiliary tank does not have a sensor. Added coolant, pressure tested twice over two days, found no leaks and everying was working great again, so off home it goes.

Now at 34k, I found my AC short cycling again. Popped the cap, and while not bone dry, it was low again. Added coolant and everything is fine again for the time being. I didn't have to add very much, maybe a cup tops.

This thread has given a lot of helpful information, so I'm going to dig further into this on my own and post my results. I have not checked the main tank yet, or checked for evidence of coolant loss near the caps. Naturally, I spilled some filling it so I'm going to have to clean everything off and keep an eye on it.

My guess is, at least in my case, that the cap(s) are the main culprit here. With the small amount lost, regular 3k top off intervals, and two negative pressure tests, it would make the most sense given the consistency and lack of worsening progression.

I'm going to clean, inspect, and fully top off both tanks and caps. I'll monitor them, watch for any signs of leakage, replace one or both caps and return with my results. BTW, caps can be found for $10 each at RockAuto, so if this appears to be increasingly common, it would make a good first start to inexpensively try to correct the issue without a trip to the dealer.

Unless of course, the caps themselves are just a defective design and regular top offs are going to become necessary.

*EDIT* Sorry, didn't read closely enough...thread title clearly says B58 but my mind saw B48. I'll still follow up, might be useful information anyway.
It's fine, you sharing your findings, it doesn't really matter if it is the B58 or B48 since the cooling system is basically the same.

Thanks
      03-31-2021, 09:08 AM   #262
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnf30x View Post
Ok, so a few things...

Part numbers for the coolant caps appear to fit virtually all BMWs made for several model years, regardless of the platform or engine involved. I’d be curious to know if other platforms have the same issue.

I got a recent (last 1000 miles) oil analysis back from Blackstone, no antifreeze at all found in the oil.

I can’t find anything directly saying so, but I’ve gotten the impression that these things are regular wear maintenance items and must be periodically replaced. Given that they are simple mechanical devices with rubber seals working under pressure it would make sense.
It's not a wear item but it is something that can fail just like any other seal. But people like me that experienced coolant loss while my car was <10k miles indicates they had a bad batch of caps.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 03:40 PM   #263
JoHnMuir
Private First Class
Rep

I chased this issue around for a few months, today I discovered that my issue is a leaking water pump seal. So, anyone whose issue is not solved by cap replacement may want to check there.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #264
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoHnMuir View Post
I chased this issue around for a few months, today I discovered that my issue is a leaking water pump seal. So, anyone whose issue is not solved by cap replacement may want to check there.
How many miles are on your vehicle? Was the issue diagnosed by the dealer?
Appreciate 0