F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Service indicator counting down too fast?
Extreme Powerhouse

07-26-2018, 01:24 AM   #1
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: -18 i3S, -10 E90 320ed

Service indicator counting down too fast?

Hi,

3 weeks ago i drove my -14 318d down to Italy from Sweden.

when i came to austria the service light and ABS light came on saying that my front brakepads were done. i knew they were not because i changed both them and the rotors in november and has since only put on like 8000KMs.
i did the job myself as i have plenty of mechanical experience and it is quite an easy job. should not that i also have ISTA on my laptop so i did the proper reset using the computer aswell.

when i came home to Sweden in took the front wheels off and checked the pads which were fine.

so i plugged the car into ista and did a correction on the service distance for the front brakes, that was like 2 weeks ago, has since put on like 1000KMs and now it says that my front pads are soon worn down again. in like 100KMS.

Anyone had this issue before?

will try to see if i can reset some kinf of adaption for the brakes.

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Supersprint Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

You know I am coming from an E90. and I have only done my Brakes, Rotors, Pads, and Sensors only once by myself without power tools.....(never again)

my Pads were not worn, but they were OEM Pads, and a lot of brake Dust.
so I changed them to Akebono Brand Pads and no more brake dust.

Interestingly enough, my old sensors were perfectly fine.
yet, they threw a code that my Brakes were low and I was NOT ABLE to reset them at all.

The ONLY way to reset them was to buy a New Sensor, and it worked perfect from there.

So why not just change the sensor to be sure you are not getting a False Positive.
they are cheap.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 02:21 AM   #3
Atiqofsweden
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: -18 i3S, -10 E90 320ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashShah View Post
You know I am coming from an E90. and I have only done my Brakes, Rotors, Pads, and Sensors only once by myself without power tools.....(never again)

yet, they threw a code that my Brakes were low and I was NOT ABLE to reset them at all.

The ONLY way to reset them was to buy a New Sensor, and it worked perfect from there.

So why not just change the sensor to be sure you are not getting a False Positive.
they are cheap.
Hm, my sensors are changed, they were included in the rotor kit!

|| BMW F31 Mineral Grey || JOM Coilovers || Supersprint Axleback || BM3 Stage 1 || GFB DV || Old cars: E46 320i, F30 318d celtic tuning stage 1 ||
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
loggin
Private
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atiqofsweden View Post
Hm, my sensors are changed, they were included in the rotor kit!
I have heard of some people having problems with new sensors not working properly.. Might not hurt to try some other new ones to see if that really is the problem.. Also would be good to make sure the connections to the sensors are in good condition.. Also make sure the new sensors are positioned properly.. If they make contact with the rotor they will start to wear through and show a false reading..

I hope you find the cause!!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #5
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Quote:

they are cheap.
How do you like the Akebono pads? Did you notice any performance difference or louder braking with them. The reason I ask, is in the past I tried NAPA branded premium and the stopping power was definitely not the same and the noise was a horrible humming drone when braking. It didn't sound like metal grinding metal but it sounded terrible. I thought maybe they needed the break in period but after 8,000 miles still exactly the same so I went OEM and braking was dead silent again.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #6
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Was it the ABS light or the Brake pad sensor light? When you pulled the front wheels to check the pads, did you check the pad sensor to see if it was still correctly seated?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:38 AM   #7
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelified View Post
How do you like the Akebono pads? Did you notice any performance difference or louder braking with them. The reason I ask, is in the past I tried NAPA branded premium and the stopping power was definitely not the same and the noise was a horrible humming drone when braking. It didn't sound like metal grinding metal but it sounded terrible. I thought maybe they needed the break in period but after 8,000 miles still exactly the same so I went OEM and braking was dead silent again.
With Akebono Pads,
I felt further pedal travel for about 1 to 2 tanks.
probably cause manufacturer states that you do not need to bed these pads.
then it was OEM stopping power. NO Noise. and no pedal travel.
and 0 brake dust.
and after 6 years did not eat the rotors and still had plenty of life left in them. best guess 60% remaining and about 100K km. or 63k miles.
paid 146 all the way around.

after 4 to 5 months of no washing my 162 style wheels showed slight brake dust on my e90.

placeforbrakes.com
Appreciate 1
Noelified228.00
      11-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Quote:
With Akebono Pads,
I felt further pedal travel for about 1 to 2 tanks.
probably cause manufacturer states that you do not need to bed these pads.
then it was OEM stopping power. NO Noise. and no pedal travel.
and 0 brake dust.
and after 6 years did not eat the rotors and still had plenty of life left in them. best guess 60% remaining and about 100K km. or 63k miles.
paid 146 all the way around.

after 4 to 5 months of no washing my 162 style wheels showed slight brake dust on my e90.

placeforbrakes.com
Awesome to hear, thanks for the detail. I just bought the rear set with sensor cable for $60. The rear factory originals lasted 52k. I still have a reported 25k on the front OEM pads, for $70 more would you do the front same time regardless of whats left.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 01:55 AM   #9
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelified View Post
Awesome to hear, thanks for the detail. I just bought the rear set with sensor cable for $60. The rear factory originals lasted 52k. I still have a reported 25k on the front OEM pads, for $70 more would you do the front same time regardless of whats left.
Hell yes.

My Main reason for switching was Brake Dust and Squealing at low speeds.
Even on my F30 I get Low Speed squealing for the first 30 sec to a min of driving.
Bad grinding noise and then all fine. This is a known issue and all dealer does is shave the pad at a 45% angle on the top and bottom.
and 20K later you have to do it again.

OEM is not what it used to be.

On my e90 335i I did exactly that all Pads, Sensors and New Rotors.
I gota hell of a price on the rotors and could not say no.

I still have my Original rotors from my e90....LOL and they are still good to go.
Appreciate 1
Noelified228.00