F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Who declares modifications to insurance companies?
Studio RSR

08-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #23
RockBamson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post

One of my cars on Geico had a $25,000 rider added to it just 13 days ago.
Because you told them about a mod to your vehicle?

Maybe they aren't taking new customers with mods, but they made it seem like they just won't provide coverage to any vehicles with 'performance' mods.

I just can't imagine that the cost to them outweighs the margins they would achieve by insuring a customer base with these types of vehicles. And if the costs are higher (reasonable), well then factor that into the premium. I'm sure their stats and actuary departments are capable of running the numbers.

The most frustrating part was I asked what would happen if I ordered my car from the factory with the M Performance exhaust as an example (I listed a few other manufacturers' performance parts as well), and they just stonewalled with some cut and paste line they are given to recite (including the supervisor). Pulling the VIN on most cars now-a-days will show at least one 'performance' part. What a ridiculous blanket policy.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #24
RockBamson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
You got classified as an increased accident risk because of the performance muffler. Suggests to them STREET RACE potential.
That's a bold generalization to make for such a large industry. They would have to be turning away tons of people on a daily basis.

Last edited by RockBamson; 08-13-2018 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #25
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBamson View Post
Quote:

Maybe they aren't taking new customers with mods, but they made it seem like they just won't provide coverage to any vehicles with 'performance' mods.

I just can't imagine that the cost to them outweighs the margins they would achieve by insuring a customer base with these types of vehicles. And if the costs are higher (reasonable), well then factor that into the premium. I'm sure their stats and actuary departments are capable of running the numbers.

The most frustrating part was I asked what would happen if I ordered my car from the factory with the M Performance exhaust as an example (I listed a few other manufacturers' performance parts as well), and they just stonewalled with some cut and paste line they are given to recite (including the supervisor). Pulling the VIN on most cars now-a-days will show at least one 'performance' part. What a ridiculous blanket policy.
I added the car and mods to my policy on 8.01.2018

If you ordered from factory it would be on VIN.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 02:22 AM   #26
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBamson View Post
Quote:

If you had it port installed it is included in the purchase price and that is what it is insured for. It is like getting an HUD and should be covered as included optional equipment if damaged in an accident.
Appreciate 0