F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Council nonsense
GetBMWParts

08-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Council nonsense

Or time for a new government?

My authority, 7% increase in tax, we now pay separately for recycling, bin collections went from weekly to every 2 weeks now every 3.

Roads are fucked, I’ve complained and been told they don’t have the funds to resurface the ones that are like something from Eastern bloc in the 80’s.

Something has to give?

Civil war or strongly worded letters?

Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

We already spend more than we earn, where does the extra money come from?

http://www.nationaldebtclock.co.uk/

Jeremy has a magic money tree though so we don't have to worry, unfortunately it doesn't exist but perhaps it would be good to go back to a 3 day week, rationing and streets full of litter and needing to call the IMF for a bailout so we can buy medicine. I'm sure Greece could give us a few pointers of how to negotiate the U bend as we fly down the shitter.

Last edited by Wills2; 08-13-2018 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post

Our council has has a very healthy surplus, however regardless of that do we just keep scrimping until we live in a fucking shit hole?

I’m in Spain still and they went through their rough patch but fuck me even the worst roads are better than an awful lot of ours, bin collections every night, new infrastructure everywhere.

We have big problems.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #4
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Our council has has a very healthy surplus, however regardless of that do we just keep scrimping until we live in a fucking shit hole?

I’m in Spain still and they went through their rough patch but fuck me even the worst roads are better than an awful lot of ours, bin collections every night, new infrastructure everywhere.

We have big problems.
Best stay out there then.
      08-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #5
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

We have big problems.
Best stay out there then.
If it wasn't for the pesky kids...

Seriously I haven't moved to Spain because I love the UK, especially England and my children go to school there and are settled.

It's getting harder and harder to stay though.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:

Jeremy has a magic money tree though so we don't have to worry, unfortunately it doesn't exist but perhaps it would be good to go back to a 3 day week, rationing and streets full of litter and needing to call the IMF for a bailout so we can buy medicine. I'm sure Greece could give us a few pointers of how to negotiate the U bend as we fly down the shitter.
I really want Jezza to become lord of the house and solve all our problems.

Ok, I won't have a house or a business at the end of it, but it would be fun to watch him attempt to solve all our problems with his bunch of bumbling idiots.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:

My authority, 7% increase in tax, we now pay separately for recycling, bin collections went from weekly to every 2 weeks now every 3.

Roads are fucked, I’ve complained and been told they don’t have the funds to resurface the ones that are like something from Eastern bloc in the 80’s.

Something has to give?
Have you considered moving away from Merseyside?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I live in leafy Surrey. Roads are shit. schools have no money. Tories and Labour bunch of useless fuckwits.

Need to accept we need to pay a bit more tax to get what we want, but would be nice if Amazon / Facebook etc etc paid their fair share.

Roll on the Centralist party that everyone keeps talking about, but doesn't seem to be appearing
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #9
Alice Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430dX M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post

Need to accept we need to pay a bit more tax to get what we want, but would be nice if Amazon / Facebook etc etc paid their fair share.
Feck that. Why should we pay even more?
Strip benefits from those that don’t want work or contribute to society. Get the prison population working to repay their debt and learn a trade. Tax the obease.
Close tax avoidance loop holes.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #10
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
No need, from my experience everywhere else is the same or worse but nice try
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 05:07 AM   #11
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

Local government have so many statutory obligations eg social housing, care services etc that they have to provide whilst getting less and less money from central government so its things like roads that suffer.

The roads where I live and work (Herts / Beds) are slowly getting repaired (it was a bad winter for roads) but could be better - however I dont think it's any particular part of the country that has it worse than others

Unfortunately we can either cut back or spend more - and if spending more doesnt come from increased taxes then its going to be borrowing that increases - and all that does is shift the problem further down the line.

And a lot of Spain's pristine roads were paid for by the EU and they dont have the winters that we do.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #12
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Coupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post

Feck that. Why should we pay even more?
Strip benefits from those that don’t want work or contribute to society. Get the prison population working to repay their debt and learn a trade. Tax the obease.
Close tax avoidance loop holes.
You forgot to mention taxing the illiterate
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #13
XK140
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SEAT Leon Cupra Carbon/GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
You forgot to mention taxing the illiterate
I think we have almost seen the invention of a new word:

"OBEARSE"

Def: An over weight lazy person...
( A fat,idle bastard who sits on his arse all day.)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
Edinburra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A5

Quote:

Something has to give?

Civil war or strongly worded letters?

You’re not alone. The same things are impacting on me. We have a SNP/LAB Council, loonies every one of them.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 09:52 PM   #15
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

We have to pay to park on our street. An annual permit cost £80 for one car but £120 for a second. The roads are in a state. The council has decided to implement a new system for permit costs based on emissions. It follows CO2 for petrol engines but Euro Classification for Diesel. Our 320d being Euro 5 will cost £140 for a permit.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 10:27 PM   #16
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
My mum and sisters council paid £1m to put up 20 mph signs that no one pays attention to and the police said they won't monitor due to available staff etc.. nuts.