F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 CATsim simulator?
GetBMWParts

07-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #89
maxio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

UPDATE: Drive cycled twice today, P2271 CEL comes on as soon as the IM Readiness/monitors showing Ready.

Not sure what to do now - checked install to make sure it was correct, blue LED light is there...

Emailed Tiago at VRSF - hopefully he'll have a solution. Will update then.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 08:22 AM   #90
maxio
Private
Rep

Update: Tiago from VRSF was nice enough to send a 2nd unit for me to try again, to eliminate the possibility of a faulty first unit.

Unfortunately it was the same issue - blue LED stays lit, does not blink.

Cleared codes and proceeded to drive cycle the car - in both cycles the car threw a P013B and P2271 fault error code.

I think the downpipe fix has a high probability of working for N54 engines, but with N55 it's definitely a gamble. Based on my research through forums, it seems like most other F30 N55 owners are unable to make the fix work too.

Oh well - guess it's putting the factory catalytic back in to keep my off road drive CEL free then.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 12:47 PM   #91
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

The CAT Sim isn't designed to be run all the time. It's supposed to be temporary for passing emissions. IF you are just trying to remove the CEL due to catless DP then get a tune like MHD or bm3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxio View Post
Update: Tiago from VRSF was nice enough to send a 2nd unit for me to try again, to eliminate the possibility of a faulty first unit.

Unfortunately it was the same issue - blue LED stays lit, does not blink.

Cleared codes and proceeded to drive cycle the car - in both cycles the car threw a P013B and P2271 fault error code.

I think the downpipe fix has a high probability of working for N54 engines, but with N55 it's definitely a gamble. Based on my research through forums, it seems like most other F30 N55 owners are unable to make the fix work too.

Oh well - guess it's putting the factory catalytic back in to keep my off road drive CEL free then.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #92
maxio
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
The CAT Sim isn't designed to be run all the time. It's supposed to be temporary for passing emissions. IF you are just trying to remove the CEL due to catless DP then get a tune like MHD or bm3.
Oh for sure - I've been running JB4 for awhile, until the need to "go offroad" came up and I had to set JB4 to Map 0, hence the search for temporary solutions.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #93
Chef Blake
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i MT

I'm using the Area 74 catsim. I had success with it last year, but now my CEL is still on after disconnecting my JB4, and connecting the catsim.

QUESTION: Is it possible there could be a loose/bad connection on one of the wires prohibiting the unit from functioning properly, but the light continue to come on and off like normal?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #94
maxio
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Blake View Post
I'm using the Area 74 catsim. I had success with it last year, but now my CEL is still on after disconnecting my JB4, and connecting the catsim.

QUESTION: Is it possible there could be a loose/bad connection on one of the wires prohibiting the unit from functioning properly, but the light continue to come on and off like normal?
The catsim, being a literal black box, is anyone's guess. I think you might want to reach out to ****** to see what they say.

What fault / error codes are you now getting from the CEL?
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #95
Chef Blake
Private
Rep

Quote:
The catsim, being a literal black box, is anyone's guess. I think you might want to reach out to ****** to see what they say.

What fault / error codes are you now getting from the CEL?
The JB4 code is 139001, so I'm not sure what that translates to, but I'm assuming it's related to a failed cat in my downpipe since it's exactly what happened last year.

ALSO: I had the i02 catsim wired backwards earlier, so I wonder if that damaged it. I have a new VRSF catsim arriving in the mail today, so I'll hook it up and see if it works, and will post an update later.
Appreciate 3
      08-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #96
FVierra27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's been awhile for me but I wanted to report back. After fiddling for a long time trying to get it to work consistently, I gave up and threw it away. It doesn't work well on EWG cars for whatever reason..

Need a tune and intercooler
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2018, 09:08 AM   #97
Chef Blake
Private
Rep

Quote:
The JB4 code is 139001, so I'm not sure what that translates to, but I'm assuming it's related to a failed cat in my downpipe since it's exactly what happened last year.

ALSO: I had the i02 catsim wired backwards earlier, so I wonder if that damaged it. I have a new VRSF catsim arriving in the mail today, so I'll hook it up and see if it works, and will post an update later.
After driving with the VRSF catsim for about 60 miles, my CEL is still on. I'm probably going to go back to the stock DP and be done with this madness. What a drag.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 02:10 PM   #98
maxio
Private
Rep

Quote:
After driving with the VRSF catsim for about 60 miles, my CEL is still on. I'm probably going to go back to the stock DP and be done with this madness. What a drag.
For those who are drive cycling the car - it's not about the distance, but about the proper drive cycling steps.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How...or-Smog-Check/

The way I saved time drive cycling the catsim (or any other device/hardware) is to:

1) Start the car, let warm up.

2) Immediately get on a highway, in D gear, accelerate with 3/4 pedal to 55mph.

3) Set cruise control on and let cruise for 5 minutes.

It definitely helps if you have an OBDII scanner - you can monitor the monitors and see.

If your scanner doesn't throw any codes after 5 minutes of 55mph, you should be on your way to clearing other monitors.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 09:40 PM   #99
paolotonzini
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
I have a n55 with jb4 and mhd backend flash and I still get catless downpipe installed code I have to ear the code manually every day a cuple times depending on how much i drive, should I be able to keep the code cleared with mhd or jb4?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #100
maxio
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paolotonzini View Post
I have a n55 with jb4 and mhd backend flash and I still get catless downpipe installed code I have to ear the code manually every day a cuple times depending on how much i drive, should I be able to keep the code cleared with mhd or jb4?
JB4 has a CEL delete on option #4 I believe, that should automatically clear the code for you. Not sure how MHD affects that option, let's wait for others to chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #101
Chef Blake
Private
Rep

Quote:
For those who are drive cycling the car - it's not about the distance, but about the proper drive cycling steps.

The way I saved time drive cycling the catsim (or any other device/hardware) is to:

It definitely helps if you have an OBDII scanner - you can monitor the monitors and see.

If your scanner doesn't throw any codes after 5 minutes of 55mph, you should be on your way to clearing other monitors.
So, I was just driving around waiting for the code to clear itself. But after reading a couple other comments/threads, I decided to plug my JB4 back in and clear the code (since I already had the O2 sim connected). I had been driving my car to and from work in such a way as to drive cycle my car.

I bought a $17 code reader on eBay, plugged it in, and scanned the car. No codes, and my emissions modules were all in ready status.

Passed my inspection, removed the 02 sim, and reconnected my JB4 and all is well again.

The best advice I could offer anyone who is currently running, or is thinking of running a catless DP (or potentially catless DP like mine), is buy a cheap code reader. And once you have an 02 simulator connected, with the light on intermittently, clear your CEL code and try to drive cycle the car.
Appreciate 1
E90705127.00
      08-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #102
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F25 M-sport

Quote:
Quote:

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Do-BMW-OBDII-Drive-Cycle-For-Smog-Check/

So, I was just driving around waiting for the code to clear itself. But after reading a couple other comments/threads, I decided to plug my JB4 back in and clear the code (since I already had the O2 sim connected). I had been driving my car to and from work in such a way as to drive cycle my car.

I bought a $17 code reader on eBay, plugged it in, and scanned the car. No codes, and my emissions modules were all in ready status.

Passed my inspection, removed the 02 sim, and reconnected my JB4 and all is well again.

The best advice I could offer anyone who is currently running, or is thinking of running a catless DP (or potentially catless DP like mine), is buy a cheap code reader. And once you have an 02 simulator connected, with the light on intermittently, clear your CEL code and try to drive cycle the car.
Quote:
Quote:

Perfect solution for pwg
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #103
maxio
Private
Rep

So I guess the Catsim only works for PWG cars... Good for you! 0
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #104
TerryGTX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bmw 435xi M-sport

PWG -confirmed to be working
EWG- won't work whatever you do

To pass with catless, you have to drive it in a specific way for all monitor coming up and just before o2 sends CEL
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #105
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryGTX View Post
PWG -confirmed to be working
EWG- won't work whatever you do

To pass with catless, you have to drive it in a specific way for all monitor coming up and just before o2 sends CEL
Anyone know the time in between from when monitors turn to "ready" until a CEL is triggered ?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #106
maxio
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90705 View Post
Anyone know the time in between from when monitors turn to "ready" until a CEL is triggered ?
Hard to pinpoint, since there are a number of factors (depending on the monitor).

For me the CEL popped up as soon as the monitors turned "Ready".
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 12:28 AM   #107
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE: Drive cycled twice today, P2271 CEL comes on as soon as the IM Readiness/monitors showing Ready.

Not sure what to do now - checked install to make sure it was correct, blue LED light is there...

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Emailed Tiago at VRSF - hopefully he'll have a solution. Will update then.
My PWG gets cat monitor "ready" but I get CEL "oxygen sensor after catalytic converter slow response and delayed response code after. :
The blue led light blinks or is on so it seems to be working.

Have mhd uninstalled, stock tune. Kitty less dp.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #108
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
From my understanding a cycle is a cold start and run until warmed up... repeat process total of 3 times...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:08 PM   #109
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
From my understanding a cycle is a cold start and run until warmed up... repeat process total of 3 times...
I get the CEL the first drive cycle. Should I not clear the CEL? And give it a couple more drive cycles with the CEL?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #110
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90705 View Post
I get the CEL the first drive cycle. Should I not clear the CEL? And give it a couple more drive cycles with the CEL?
I haven't been personally thru this experience... just from reading about it... unfortunately I can only say try it both ways if one doesn't work...
Appreciate 0