F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Exhaust Help 2014 F30
ARMA SPEED

12-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
PayamSh
1/176 F30 335i MPerformance Edition
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Perf

Exhaust Help 2014 F30

Recently I decided to get the vrsf catless downpipe, after the installation I loved how my car sounded, at the time I had no resonator with the MPE. After a couple weeks I couldn't handle the noise at all, as I got higher into the rpms the car just got insanely loud and raspy. As of yesterday I decided to go back to my exhaust shop and get the resonator welded back in, initially I liked it but to put it simply it leaves me wanting a little bit more. Any suggestions on what I should do? I would like to keep the MPE because I love how it sounds, I'm open to suggestions! Side note my exhaust piping is 4 inches.

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Your only other option would be an aftermarket midpipe such as Dinan although I can't speak about fitment.
Appreciate 1
PayamSh10.50
      12-05-2018, 09:08 PM   #3
PayamSh
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Your only other option would be an aftermarket midpipe such as Dinan although I can't speak about fitment.
I just took a look, it looks like the only mid pipe dinan offers for my car would be their resonator delete kit which is essentially what I had before but it costs $400. I was possibly thinking of removing my resonator for an after market one? Ideas about that?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

So catless, resonator and MPE? What is it that you don't like about it?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
PayamSh
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
So catless, resonator and MPE? What is it that you don't like about it?
Yeah currently I have a 4 inch vrsf catless dp, stock resonator and MPE. I love how the car sounds with the resonator in, I find that that tone is perfect now but what I'm looking for is for it to be just a bit louder.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #6
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Yeah the only thing you can do is swap out for a full cat back or just switch the MPE. Unless you are willing to hack the MPE to make it louder.

Try a remus axleback. I hear it sounds a bit louder than mpe, and even better with a catless downpipe, which you already have.

You can resell the MPE easy.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
PayamSh
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the only thing you can do is swap out for a full cat back or just switch the MPE. Unless you are willing to hack the MPE to make it louder.

Try a remus axleback. I hear it sounds a bit louder than mpe, and even better with a catless downpipe, which you already have.

What is the mpe mod?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #8
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayamSh View Post
Quote:

What is the mpe mod?
It's not a mod in that sense. But it's possible to alter the innards of any muffler to make it louder. The closer you can get it to be straight pipe, inside of it, the louder it will be.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #9
PayamSh
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What is the mpe mod?
It's not a mod in that sense. But it's possible to alter the innards of any muffler to make it louder. The closer you can get it to be straight pipe, inside of it, the louder it will be.
Ah I see, would you suggest any other resonator replacements? Such as a vibrant or something like that?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #10
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah I see, would you suggest any other resonator replacements? Such as a vibrant or something like that?
You can unplug the valve controller when the driver side exhaust is open. This would give you a louder exhaust.

It's possibly similar to my setup as I mounted a modified B58 MPE instead the N55's. I found a good deal, and I really like having the logo on it but I lost the valve which stays closed under 2-3K RPM with the N55 MPE. Because of this, I have some drone between 1500-2K RPM. It's subtle and bothered me at first as I didn't want any drone at all but I've gotten used to it.

I've read posts here about the N55 MPE having a bit of drone below that rev range but since you'd be keeping the valve open, the car would also be louder.

It also is free and would be easy to revert if you didn't like it. Something to consider.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #11
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I agree that the MPE should be swapped. There are definitely better sounding systems, but I feel that the resonator is necessary.
      12-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #12
PayamSh
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You can unplug the valve controller when the driver side exhaust is open. This would give you a louder exhaust.

It's possibly similar to my setup as I mounted a modified B58 MPE instead the N55's. I found a good deal, and I really like having the logo on it but I lost the valve which stays closed under 2-3K RPM with the N55 MPE. Because of this, I have some drone between 1500-2K RPM. It's subtle and bothered me at first as I didn't want any drone at all but I've gotten used to it.

I've read posts here about the N55 MPE having a bit of drone below that rev range but since you'd be keeping the valve open, the car would also be louder.

It also is free and would be easy to revert if you didn't like it. Something to consider.
This is definitely a great idea, I'll take a look at that. At one point I had the resonator off with the mpe flap open, and I found the drone to be absolutely crazy did you find it to be much better with the resonator in? And how much louder did it get for you?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #13
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is definitely a great idea, I'll take a look at that. At one point I had the resonator off with the mpe flap open, and I found the drone to be absolutely crazy did you find it to be much better with the resonator in? And how much louder did it get for you?
I don't have a comparison with the N55 MPE or the resonator removed. I didn't want drone at all, but I've learned the live with the bit the car has now.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #14
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It won't be any louder than when you are in sport and the valve is open. Unplugging the controller will just give you the same loudness you get in sport, no matter what mode you are in.
Appreciate 0