F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW / Dinan Warranty Catch 22 By Adding Downpipe?
GetBMWParts

03-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

BMW / Dinan Warranty Catch 22 By Adding Downpipe?

Hi Everyone,

Recently acquired a CPO 2014 435i all M-options and as part of the trade deal they included the Dinan COI and Stage 2. Alas, the top end is a bit 'flat' (imho) and so we're going full Stage 4 with Dinan IC and Big Turbo. Already ordered the ER CP and that's fine, yet if i go with EP's DP would that cause a problem with warranty? Obviously i value the existing warranty, and further CPO coverage.

Please let's avoid the costs, JB4, etc comments. As simply asking about if i add the EP DP what that might do to warranty coverage as the EP CP seems fine for warranty yet the DP might be a sticking point. Perhaps someone from Dinan can chime in here?

Many thanks.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 03-15-2017 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Good luck wth that. Dinan may be a great supplier, but they don't reply to customer service emails. I wrote them last week with a simple question about the S1 for the B58.

Still waiting for a response. I don't patronize companies like that.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
BlueCrabMafia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

The DINAN warranty does not extend into CPO to my understanding. It only covers factory warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Dinan is not a charity and neither is BMW
I also thought Dinan only matched original factory warranty period
bottom line is if your engine needs work I wouldnt be surprised if an attempt is made to pin in on your catless
it IS illegal anyway
BTW I had an email into Dinan a month ago.. still looking for a reply lol
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i; Looking for F80

Both the dealer/BMW and Dinan will tell you the same thing - it's only a sticking point if the part in question (DP) is found to be the cause of the issue. This is of course hypothetical. It's a risk. It's only going to become a real issue if you have a claim on the powertrain. Nothing will "void" your warranty, but they can of course deny the claim.

In your case, BMW will deny it regardless since you have the Dinan stuff installed, and you will have to go through Dinan to get reimbursed. If you want to maintain some peace of mind just enjoy the Stage 4 and leave the DP alone.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

I guess i learned something new today. I knew that Dinan's basic boltons/tune will not void the warranty. I am surprised that even with the Stage 4: Intercooler and a bigger turbo, they will still provide you warranty...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i; Looking for F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
I guess i learned something new today. I knew that Dinan's basic boltons/tune will not void the warranty. I am surprised that even with the Stage 4: Intercooler and a bigger turbo, they will still provide you warranty...
Dinan is offering the warranty. BMW will NOT cover you in case of a powertrain claim with Dinan stuff installed. You have to go through Dinan to get reimbursed - it's a 3rd party warranty.
Appreciate 2
jmg18663.00
      03-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Yes, i understand the warranty is only good for the balance of original BMW warranty (not including CPO extension), with Dinan parts being 2 years from date of install. So for now she has about 16 months of original warranty remaining and am figuring if nothing 'happens' within the first year i should be good, with a nice 4 month 'extra' cushion.

The DP would be catted, sorry i should have been a bit more specific.

Agree TheEZV, for peace of mind just enjoy the Stage 4 and leave the DP alone. That's where the Catch 22 comes in and may leave DP out for now as can always add it later. Many thanks.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2017, 02:08 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e
Good luck wth that. Dinan may be a great supplier, but they don't reply to customer service emails. I wrote them last week with a simple question about the S1 for the B58.

You're better off getting parts from a BMW dealer with Dinan in-house. If anything goes wrong and the work was done there they can fight it out with Dinan for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #10
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

BEM-S4, that is EXACTLY my thought. Want to keep the warranty as much intact as possible.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with the Dinan guy at the BMW dealership and he said the 4" DP on the April build 435i should be ok and he was thinking more the resonator. Have a feeling for now it is best to leave it all alone as it'll all be covered under warranty. Perhaps revisit this if for some reason once they add the Dinan bits i think there's something 'amiss'.

Huge thanks everyone!

Steven

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 03-15-2017 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
GB///M161.50
      03-15-2017, 04:26 PM   #11
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
Any Dinan part will void the warranty for the specific piece that it might have contributed to the malfunction of. An authorized Dinan supplier will repair the damage for you as part of Dinan's warranty, but unless you bought and installed the part at a BMW dealership, no BMW dealership will honor a warranty for a Dinan part or the effects of those parts on the vehicle.

Basically, the BMW warranty, new or CPO will NOT cover Dinan parts nor the parts the effect. That is a separate warranty provided by Dinan and serviced by the shop that you purchased and had the part installed at.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
      03-16-2017, 08:08 AM   #12
madmortar
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Any Dinan part will void the warranty for the specific piece that it might have contributed to the malfunction of. An authorized Dinan supplier will repair the damage for you as part of Dinan's warranty, but unless you bought and installed the part at a BMW dealership, no BMW dealership will honor a warranty for a Dinan part or the effects of those parts on the vehicle.

Basically, the BMW warranty, new or CPO will NOT cover Dinan parts nor the parts the effect. That is a separate warranty provided by Dinan and serviced by the shop that you purchased and had the part installed at.
Really depends on your dealership.
Mine doesn't sell DINAN parts but they have confirmed in writing to me that the tune would not void the warranty. Some dealerships are very familiar with DINAN and don't really care if you have it installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:14 AM   #13
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I had Dinan S3 on my 2007 E92 335i, and I did not use Dinan's intercooler or oil cooler that was required by the S3 software. Instead, I used an ETS intercooler and an ER oil cooler - Dinan had no issue with using those parts. Guess things have changed since Steve left the company.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #14
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post

they responded to my web contact form submission within a day
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #15
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLNLQIm View Post
When was that? Submitted Q a couple weeks ago on their website. Still waiting, haha, I can just imagine if I had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #16
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep

Have had great response from my local BMW Dinan contact at the dealership in Florida. Very helpful and informative.

BTW that's the other reason I'm playing this upgrade (relatively) conservative as it gets very hot and humid in FL. So not looking for that last N'th degree plus want to be headache free and let someone else handle any problems. Years ago tweaked / tracked a Ferrari and raced in SCCA Formula 2000, so have 'done my time' with engine, brake, suspension, shock, etc engineers. Owned a weight bridge and pro-grade alignment tools, used a friend from Hendrick race team to service my shocks, spent days on the dyno.... Have turned wrenches and dealt with hiccups, hey i was tight on cash back then and so.... In the end the BMW 435i will have more power than a stock M4 with a nice comparable power delivery through the rpms yet in a chassis and power delivery configuration i prefer. Got her stock for a week or so, then we did Stage 2 and COI and was testing to see how she delivered and if that was in a way i enjoyed. Stage 2 gives you virtually the exact same performance below ~4500 rpm as Stage 4. So was 'feeling out' if the Dinan delivery of power was to my liking. The way you drive a big Porsche on a track is different than, say, a Ferrari. Performance numbers might look the same, yet the delivery, chassis dynamics, etc means driving style to get the best is a bit different.

Anywho, above 4500 rpm is where Dinan Stage 4 really shines, yet is still conservative to what is possible given the supporting hardware. Again, this is FL so heat and humidity factors in my descision. Of course if you don't care about the lifespan of the engine/trans then boost away until the bleeding edge. I get it. Been there, done that. Sure it's fun, yet sometimes saving now costs more in the long run. It is also how power is delivered.... So am just throwing a tried and true bolt-on with support from the dealer where i can drop her off and let someone else handle it.

Phew, sorry, just wanted to give more background on my plan and why.

Steven

Last edited by enjoythemusic; 03-16-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #17
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmortar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post

Really depends on your dealership.
Mine doesn't sell DINAN parts but they have confirmed in writing to me that the tune would not void the warranty. Some dealerships are very familiar with DINAN and don't really care if you have it installed.
Be careful how you interpret that. Voiding your entire warranty is NOT the same thing as charging you for a repair that is the result of aftermarket modifications. Also, if they are a DINAN dealer, then they will charge DINAN for the repairs. So to you, the warranty is not voided, the question is, who is paying for the work, DINAN, or BMW.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #18
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLNLQIm View Post
When was that? Submitted Q a couple weeks ago on their website. Still waiting, haha, I can just imagine if I had an issue.
march 1st. they were super helpful identifying a part number for me and giving me the docs
Appreciate 0