F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Mini JCW hatch v JCW Clubman
GetBMWParts

10-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #67
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Has there ever been times with the Cooper S for example going for an overtake where it's felt a bit gutless or is it fast enough day to day?
No i've never found it not to have enough power, it's more than fast enough. Got no problems overtaking etc.

Like I said we were considering the JCW at the time, glad we didn't now tbh. The S is more than enough (For us anyway )
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #68
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
No i've never found it not to have enough power, it's more than fast enough. Got no problems overtaking etc.

Like I said we were considering the JCW at the time, glad we didn't now tbh. The S is more than enough (For us anyway )
Just for the OP, if you go for standard car then S is a good buy on the forces scheme, £90 cheaper a month.

The JCW gets more as standard though, engine obviously, all wheel drive and comfort plus which gives:

Park Assist
Seat heating, front
Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle
Extended storage
Reversing Assist camera
Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear

At £90 a month I might be happy without some of those, but when I ordered it was only £55 a month different so JCW seemed sensible.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #69
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Just for the OP, if you go for standard car then S is a good buy on the forces scheme, £90 cheaper a month.

The JCW gets more as standard though, engine obviously, all wheel drive and comfort plus which gives:

Park Assist
Seat heating, front
Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle
Extended storage
Reversing Assist camera
Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear

At £90 a month I might be happy without some of those, but when I ordered it was only £55 a month different so JCW seemed sensible.
Ours is the Hatch not the Clubman, so not sure how that compares on spec...Don't get All Wheel Drive on the Hatch though when JCW.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #70
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
Ours is the Hatch not the Clubman, so not sure how that compares on spec...Don't get All Wheel Drive on the Hatch though when JCW.
Ah, ok, I’d got it in my head the OP was looking at the Clubman, but I can see from the title now he’s thinking of both.

In the hatch I’d have probably gone S as well, not enough difference in power between the 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 03:19 AM   #71
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Love the look of the TCR, that could well be on my radar as a daily in 2 years time.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #72
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Love the look of the TCR, that could well be on my radar as a daily in 2 years time.
My Mrs got one ..
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1705077

Given our reduced usage of the cars I’m half tempted to sell the M3 and just use this as our car. I think it’s great.
      10-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #73
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwils View Post
My Mrs got one ..

Given our reduced usage of the cars I’m half tempted to sell the M3 and just use this as our car. I think it’s great.
I saw that when you posted up recently, fabulous car, it would be a no brainer for me over any Mini product.

I think the one linked yesterday is the MK8 and that looks great too
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 03:42 PM   #74
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I saw that when you posted up recently, fabulous car, it would be a no brainer for me over any Mini product.

Ah I missed that post, just saw it now. Looks good too. I’ll tell the mrs her car is old hat now
      10-16-2020, 04:25 AM   #75
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ah I missed that post, just saw it now. Looks good too. I’ll tell the mrs her car is old hat now
I think the 7 looks great too, it is refreshing to here of a lady driving something apart from the ubiquitous 4x4
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:57 AM   #76
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

My GLW seems to already be eying up the new Clubsport, despite advocating we should try seeing how we cope with one car whilst Covid persists. Go figure...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:57 AM   #77
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:
My Mrs got one ..

Horses for courses.. to me that grey Golf is unimaginably dull. The dullest shade of the dullest colour. To others it's perfect.

I read some reviews of the TCR last night and looked on Autotrader. Reviews weren't as overwhelmingly positive as you'd think.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 05:28 AM   #78
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Horses for courses.. to me that grey Golf is unimaginably dull. The dullest shade of the dullest colour. To others it's perfect.

I read some reviews of the TCR last night and looked on Autotrader. Reviews weren't as overwhelmingly positive as you'd think.
I think they are available in other colours Touring Pleb,

I suspect the Golf is not the sharpest Hot Hatch on the market for that you would be better looking at the Civic Type R or Megane 300 but it imo strikes a very good compromise between Enjoyment, Build Quality, Reliability, Cost and Practicality.

It of course doesnt look as chintzy as a Mini, but I think you have made your mind up already
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 06:21 AM   #79
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Quote:

I think they are available in other colours Touring Pleb,

I suspect the Golf is not the sharpest Hot Hatch on the market for that you would be better looking at the Civic Type R or Megane 300 but it imo strikes a very good compromise between Enjoyment, Build Quality, Reliability, Cost and Practicality.

It of course doesnt look as chintzy as a Mini, but I think you have made your mind up already
I do like the Golf 7.5 and there's some very nice red ones on Autotrader but out of my budget on the monthlies.

I like the R as well but would need one with 15-20k miles to be affordable and I'd be nervous about how it's been treated for that time.
Appreciate 1
Sennen1733.50
      10-16-2020, 03:20 PM   #80
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Each to there own obviously - Within our driving abilities it’s a fab car, not likely to go on track or anything, sporty and ok to live with day to day, all round decent car, dull grey is the balance to my yellow speed banana