F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F32 bumper paint peeling off around parking sensors
ARMA SPEED

10-20-2020, 09:34 PM   #1
ViCosPhi
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Coupe F32

Question F32 bumper paint peeling off around parking sensors

Hello,

I have a 2014 F32 I got a few years ago directly from BMW as CPO. I am seeing severe instance of paint peeling off around rear parking sensors. It seems like the clear coat peeling off to me. Never had an accident, never repainted bumper either. Car still has a year of BMW platinum warranty left.

I understand platinum warranty does not cover wear and tear items, but wanted to see if this can be considered as a factory paintjob defect and covered under BMW platinum warranty?

Seems like it was repainted by the original BMW dealer I purchased it from and it was a bad paintjob?

Does the insurance company cover it if you have comprehensive insurance?

I am guessing I will have to pay out of pocket for this one and that it would be $1.5K to remove the bumper and sensors and then repaint the whole thing?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:24 AM   #2
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Doubt it's a defect, I bet it was repainted, does Carfax show anything?

Not worth going through insurance as they will report it to Carfax as damage, not to mention you'll have a claim on your file and who knows how it will affect rates.

Repainting should be sub 1k cash.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:05 AM   #3
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328iX View Post

Not worth going through insurance as they will report it to Carfax as damage, not to mention you'll have a claim on your file and who knows how it will affect rates.

Repainting should be sub 1k cash.
If he files as a comp claim, it wouldn't affect his rates but comprehensive doesn't cover just peeling clear coat. I'd take it back to the dealer and complain.
      10-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

You should be able to find a good job for $750-ish.

Problem is "most" shops dont want to touch something they visibly can see another shop has worked on. No clue what products and processes they used so many will tell you they need to replace the bumper for simplicity.

Try the dealer, see if they even have a bodyshop. They may have used a "lot lizard" if they dont have their own shop. If they do have a shop, call first and ask what their guarantee is then ask if it was painted there.

If the dealers shop or their "lot lizard" did the work theres a record of someone getting paid. If it was done prior to being on their lot, you are likely out of luck
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCosPhi View Post
Seems like it was repainted by the original BMW dealer I purchased it from and it was a bad paintjob?
Bingo. It's reminiscent of first generation factory clear coat that would peel like mad after ten years or so. The factories figured out the cause and fixed it, so that's not a factory paint job. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's a replacement bumper.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 02:30 PM   #6
ViCosPhi
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Coupe F32

Quote:
Thanks. Nothing in Carfax, sounds like dealer repainted it in house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435i_Phil View Post
If he files as a comp claim, it wouldn't affect his rates but comprehensive doesn't cover just peeling clear coat. I'd take it back to the dealer and complain.
Thanks. Will try that, but the original dealer I got it from was from a different state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
If the dealers shop or their "lot lizard" did the work theres a record of someone getting paid. If it was done prior to being on their lot, you are likely out of luck
Thanks. Dealer has a collision center where they do repainting, will check it out with them. Replacement bumpers are still unpainted from factory though right? So wouldn't it be cheaper to repaint the existing one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Bingo. It's reminiscent of first generation factory clear coat that would peel like mad after ten years or so. The factories figured out the cause and fixed it, so that's not a factory paint job. I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's a replacement bumper.
Thanks. I hate it when dealers do this work and do not declare it and it doesn't show up in Carfax and the likes..
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Carfax is by no means infallible. If someone has an accident that doesn't get reported to the police or insurance company it's not going to be reported to Carfax. OTOH Carfax will turn up a lot of useless information. I was selling a car and a potential buyer decided to check it on Carfax. The initial free report had fourteen unidentified items, convincing him to pay up for the full report. Those items turned out to be the initial registration and six renewals, and seven yearly state inspections.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #8
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCosPhi View Post
Thanks. Nothing in Carfax, sounds like dealer repainted it in house.

Thanks. Will try that, but the original dealer I got it from was from a different state.

Thanks. Dealer has a collision center where they do repainting, will check it out with them. Replacement bumpers are still unpainted from factory though right? So wouldn't it be cheaper to repaint the existing one?

Thanks. I hate it when dealers do this work and do not declare it and it doesn't show up in Carfax and the likes..
The problem is body shop will not do good prep work before they paint it... hence was suggested to get a new bumper and paint. You might save money if you do the work yourself.... i.e. sanding the old paint.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

There's no need to replace the bumper, a good paint man knows how to prep that by sanding off the clear coat before re-painting it.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #10
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435i_Phil View Post
Don't think you get to choose whether you file a comp claim or collision claim.

In my experience if you cannot find anyone to blame essentially insurance will use your collision deductible.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #11
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Don't think you get to choose whether you file a comp claim or collision claim.

In my experience if you cannot find anyone to blame essentially insurance will use your collision deductible.
The type of claim is based on the nature of the damage-as decided by your insurance company.

In general- damage caused to your car while driving (exception would be animals)= collision. Damage caused to your car while parked (including theft)=comprehensive. Damage to other people's property=liability
some minor exceptions exist

But I doubt insurance would cover paint deterioration unless you can blame the damage on something- getting egged or something.
      10-21-2020, 08:18 PM   #12
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Just a FYI OP, it's possible that it as damage done during initial delivery to the dealership. Before it's registered, the dealer does not have to declare any repairs to entities like Carfax.

When I was thinking of turning my 2008 lease back, the guy they sent to check the car over when over every panel with a paint thickness meter to catch "damage" that was repaired and not reported. He mentioned a panel that had thicker paint, and when I said "Never was in an accident, never had it at a body shop", his response was "no need to worry. It happens VERY often that a car receives damage coming from port and gets repaired prior to customer delivery without notification."
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Nobody has to declare anything to Carfax. Reports that are made to Carfax are done voluntarily. Most of what Carfax provides to consumers is information gleaned from public databases.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #14
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Billfitz is 100% correct about Carfax....its a tool, not the bible

Also, dealers are legally not required to declare any body repairs unless its over 3-5% of the retail value of the vehicle. This number varies by state.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #15
boafriend
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Carfax is by no means infallible. If someone has an accident that doesn't get reported to the police or insurance company it's not going to be reported to Carfax. OTOH Carfax will turn up a lot of useless information. I was selling a car and a potential buyer decided to check it on Carfax. The initial free report had fourteen unidentified items, convincing him to pay up for the full report. Those items turned out to be the initial registration and six renewals, and seven yearly state inspections.
Yeah. I have a CPO 2012 F30 that had nothing bad in its CarFax but around this time last year, I started noticing chunks of my paint coming off in the front bumper on the passenger-side. It would chronically get worse as I would get my car washed.

I went to a family friend specializing in body work and paint and they immediately said it was a sign of shoddy paint work. Likely the previous owner, who was a leasee, had damage and got bad work done before turning in his car. I was told it wasn't worth going through the trouble of getting the entire bumper checked out, as it would cost thousands. Sucks.

My CPO warranty is pretty much useless now, the original factory warranty is long expired, and this paint issue would be considered cosmetic work, so I figured contacting a dealer would be pointless too.
Appreciate 0