F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Yet another Apple CarPlay question
Studio RSR

01-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #1
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

Yet another Apple CarPlay question

What are the downsides of something like this? It's half the price of the one from Bimmertech, but I guess like everything in life, buy cheap, buy twice!

https://bavarian-automotive.co.uk/pr...rplay-retrofit
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      01-22-2021, 03:27 PM   #2
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

What year is your car and does it have pro-nav?
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      01-26-2021, 04:50 AM   #3
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry for the delay Wibbles - its a 2015, I got the NBT 8.8" screen with Pro Nav
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      01-28-2021, 03:03 AM   #4
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscoobs View Post
Sorry for the delay Wibbles - its a 2015, I got the NBT 8.8" screen with Pro Nav
Ok - then it will need one of the MMI or Android screen units.

There is a big thread about the Andream units, which are the same as the Bimmertech units but a third of the price.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      01-28-2021, 04:42 AM   #5
SantaEugence
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 330d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbles View Post
Quote:
Ok - then it will need one of the MMI or Android screen units.

There is a big thread about the Andream units, which are the same as the Bimmertech units but a third of the price.
I think you can select NBT from the drop down.
£199 is a good price from an online supplier. I paid £190 but that was from a chap selling them on Facebook.

It's not perfect, occasionally it plays up but still one of the best mods I've done if not the best. I've got a 10.25" screen from an X5 so combined with car play it really updates the interior and experience. I use Waze as well (or could use google maps) so no need to pay for BMW traffic updates either.

Fitting wise if you have pro nav I think you'll have the larger HU to include the hard drive so you'll need to go down the route of fitting the box near your glovebox which is a bit more time consuming but not technically difficult.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #6
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Even with pro nav there’s loads of room and places for it to go. I have a unit for reverse cam and mmi for CarPlay and there’s room for both.....
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      01-28-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Even with pro nav there’s loads of room and places for it to go. I have a unit for reverse cam and mmi for CarPlay and there’s room for both.....
Which MMI unit do you have?
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      01-28-2021, 08:54 AM   #8
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

I’ve got the Integrated Automotive Wireless one...

https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/p...-retrofit-kit/

Bought 2nd hand on here for 175
Appreciate 4
mcscoobs169.00
muniz_ri447.50
LobB5109.00
SirMoo3.00
      01-28-2021, 09:59 AM   #9
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Just had a very helpful call with Andy at TA Auto Upgrades and have placed an order for a CarPlay MMI unit :

https://www.taautoupgrades.com/produ...ay-carplay-box

and reversing camera :

https://www.taautoupgrades.com/produ...versing-camera

£224 all-in, inc VAT and delivery.

Full CarPlay functionality, full use of OEM controls (i.e. steering wheel buttons; iDrive controller; voice command / Siri) Bluetooth enabled so no need for an additional wireless dongle.

CarPlay MMI can be set to display dynamic reversing lines and PDC on the screen at the same time.

Seems to be a genuine 'full' CarPlay system, and pretty good value. If it gives me Waze, Spotify and a decent reversing camera image then I'll be happy.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      01-28-2021, 12:32 PM   #10
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
I've got the Integrated Automotive Wireless one...

Just saw their demo video. They did a great job on their UI and AA implementation.

Do you happen to any of their software updates so we can have a look in there?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:18 PM   #11
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Just had a very helpful call with Andy at TA Auto Upgrades and have placed an order for a CarPlay MMI unit :

and reversing camera :

Full CarPlay functionality, full use of OEM controls (i.e. steering wheel buttons; iDrive controller; voice command / Siri) Bluetooth enabled so no need for an additional wireless dongle.

CarPlay MMI can be set to display dynamic reversing lines and PDC on the screen at the same time.

Seems to be a genuine 'full' CarPlay system, and pretty good value. If it gives me Waze, Spotify and a decent reversing camera image then I'll be happy.
Only issue I had with the MMI box was the hands free calling. Just could not get it to route through the box without an echo to whoever calls me, no matter what settings I used. Eventually figured out I could still connect Bluetooth to the BMW car hands free system and using the Andream wired/WiFi. Perfect
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:19 PM   #12
SantaEugence
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Quote:
I've got the Integrated Automotive Wireless one...

Just saw their demo video. They did a great job on their UI and AA implementation.

Seems extremely expensive compared to the usual. Is there anything different to justify the double-and-some price tag
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #13
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaEugence View Post
Seems extremely expensive compared to the usual. Is there anything different to justify the double-and-some price tag
That’s the price they all were until recently when a new spate of the 200 quid ones came out. I’d have never paid that new, CarPlay not worth that much to me....
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      01-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #14
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post

Pretty sure the last owner did but I haven’t as yet....
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      02-02-2021, 07:27 AM   #15
mcscoobs
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

and reversing camera :

Let us know how you get on and if everything works. You installing it yourself? I'd need someone to install all this for me once ordered, but these chaps are miles away...
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      02-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #16
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Let us know how you get on and if everything works. You installing it yourself? I'd need someone to install all this for me once ordered, but these chaps are miles away...
Everything was delivered promptly and I'll be installing it myself when I can make a clear day - hopefully within the next week or so.

I've also ordered a USB socket (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which I'll install in the centre armrest storage cubby to provide a wired/charging connection to the MMI and also as a means of updating the software/firmware if/as needs be.

Will update once it's done.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 2
mcscoobs169.00
LobB5109.00
      02-06-2021, 06:48 AM   #17
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Quote:
Everything was delivered promptly and I'll be installing it myself when I can make a clear day - hopefully within the next week or so.

I've also ordered a USB socket (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which I'll install in the centre armrest storage cubby to provide a wired/charging connection to the MMI and also as a means of updating the software/firmware if/as needs be.

Tuned in - unfortunately there aren’t so many sources to get an MMI box within the UK, and after brexit resulting in the extra import charges from places like Andream direct who ship from Spain/Czech or any other AliExpress alternative holding stock in the EU, it will cost quite a bit more by the time it’s delivered.

Also thinking if there are any faults, it’s a kick in the teeth to then pay import charges again. Not sure how it would work on an item being sent for repairs/swap then back over to you.

The MMI thread is convoluted, with different versions of hardware, but it would be good to know all the software level/hw version incase of wanting to upgrade the software/firmware down the line.

Waiting on confirmation of days I’m to be in the office in a new role, which will decide how quickly I am to pick one of these up.

If all is in good working order I’ll likely follow with these guys.

Are you planning on entirely disassembling the centre console? It will be difficult squeezing that fat usb enclosure through many plastic clips and pieces of trim. This was based on me taking apart the snap in adapter and replacing with the rubber mat.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #18
Al335d
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335dx msport

Quote:

Hi Watsey. How have you got on with the install?
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      02-18-2021, 12:05 PM   #19
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al335d View Post
Hi Watsey. How have you got on with the install?
I haven't done it yet - no way I was going to spend hours working on the car in those freezing temperatures !

Hopefully have time for it during the next week or so.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      03-07-2021, 09:07 AM   #20
MrTMrT
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 320D X-Drive Touring

Quote:
I haven't done it yet - no way I was going to spend hours working on the car in those freezing temperatures !

Hopefully have time for it during the next week or so.
Hi, have you had any joy yet? I’ve just been looking at your link and it’s a lot more reasonable than the £500 odd previous prices. I’m thinking £60 for fitting and an hour each way to Bradford is my best option. I’d spend a full day on it and it still probably wouldn’t work 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 01:20 PM   #21
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTMrT View Post
Hi, have you had any joy yet? I’ve just been looking at your link and it’s a lot more reasonable than the £500 odd previous prices. I’m thinking £60 for fitting and an hour each way to Bradford is my best option. I’d spend a full day on it and it still probably wouldn’t work ��
I installed it this afternoon and will finish it in the morning.

Everything generally went well. The MMI box is configured ready for use (the jumper pins were set according to the screen size in my car); almost all of the connections and wiring looms are plug-n-play; clear instructions; CarPlay activated first time and seems pretty intuitive; audio quality is absolutely fine (only checked using Spotify with streaming bit rate set to max, and that sounds fine to my ears).

I always leave the head unit etc 'disembowelled' until everything is checked, and I'm glad I did the same this time as I'm also installing a reversing camera (which the TA Automotive Upgrades also supplied) but I can't get an image to display on the iDrive screen despite checking the settings several times.

I'll have a chat with the contact there (Andy - very helpful chap) - I expect it's something simple and easily resolved.

At this stage, yes I'm happy with it and for the money would recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 03:24 PM   #22
MrTMrT
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 320D X-Drive Touring

Quote:
I installed it this afternoon and will finish it in the morning.

Everything generally went well. The MMI box is configured ready for use (the jumper pins were set according to the screen size in my car); almost all of the connections and wiring looms are plug-n-play; clear instructions; CarPlay activated first time and seems pretty intuitive; audio quality is absolutely fine (only checked using Spotify with streaming bit rate set to max, and that sounds fine to my ears).

I always leave the head unit etc 'disembowelled' until everything is checked, and I'm glad I did the same this time as I'm also installing a reversing camera (which the TA Automotive Upgrades also supplied) but I can't get an image to display on the iDrive screen despite checking the settings several times.

I'll have a chat with the contact there (Andy - very helpful chap) - I expect it's something simple and easily resolved.

At this stage, yes I'm happy with it and for the money would recommend it.
That’s great news for you, at least on the car play side of it. Thanks for the update, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0