F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > MOT failed at BMW garage
GetBMWParts

01-24-2019, 11:23 AM   #23
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D M Sport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossi1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Do you get an MoT reminder in the mail these days? Don't remember that from when I was a lad in the UK. Remembering your MoT was on you.
No you don't. We have six cars in our household and yesterday I booked one in for an MOT that wasn't due until next June...doh
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVX View Post
No notification of any. First time I've ever had to MOT a car and expected to get something in the post as much
Do you get an MoT reminder in the mail these days? Don't remember that from when I was a lad in the UK. Remembering your MoT was on you.
This was my point. I expected to receive some notification that it was coming up similar to car tax. Seems like a gap, might be a business opportunity there 😂
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #24
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
I would not go near Kwik Fit! So many horror stories! Do a search on here!
What's the bias against Kwik fit?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:41 AM   #25
Cobstar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d

You can set up MOT reminders at https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder
Appreciate 1
willjames709.00
      01-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #26
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Need for MOT reports on your service indicator (or at least mine does). It just looks like any other service but if you go further into the onboard computer it tells you there
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 12:36 PM   #27
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Quote:
This was my point. I expected to receive some notification that it was coming up similar to car tax. Seems like a gap, might be a business opportunity there 😂
As others have said the DLVA have a reminder service that you can sign up for. AutoTrader also have the facility to do so (they can also remind you of insurance renewals etc too).
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #28
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
What's the bias against Kwik fit?
Bunch of con artist rip off merchants like a load of those autocentre type places.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...light=Kwik+fit

http://bfy.tw/LxR4

Last edited by SkyJawa; 01-24-2019 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 01:49 PM   #29
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C320 View Post
Quote:
As others have said the DLVA have a reminder service that you can sign up for. AutoTrader also have the facility to do so (they can also remind you of insurance renewals etc too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobstar View Post
You can set up MOT reminders at https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
Need for MOT reports on your service indicator (or at least mine does). It just looks like any other service but if you go further into the onboard computer it tells you there
Thanks guys. Was completely unaware. I'll set them up now!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #30
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

New thread title and description :

Muppet drives around illegally for months because he doesn't have a fucking clue, whines when a garage points it out and finds the ILLEGAL tyre tread depth he's been running around on - because he can't even be bothered doing some basic occasional check on his tyres, etc.
Appreciate 1
dizzy619446.50
      01-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #31
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
New thread title and description :

Muppet drives around illegally for months because he doesn't have a fucking clue, whines when a garage points it out and finds the ILLEGAL tyre tread depth he's been running around on - because he can't even be bothered doing some basic occasional check on his tyres, etc.
Cheers Robbie. Great feedback & value 👍🏻

Wasn't months, still had a few days but now it's got no MOT as it's failed until the retest on Monday.

And wasn't moaning at the garage for pointing out something pretty obvious, was moaning at the cost they quoted.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #32
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

This has to be a wind up - the OP didn't notice their tyres were down to the thread and wasn't aware their car needed an MOT. At least I hope this is a wind up as this lack of competence suggests this person should not be owning/driving a car.
Appreciate 1
dizzy619446.50
      01-25-2019, 01:31 AM   #33
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

A quick visual check is all that's needed to determine if your tyres are legal or not. They should make this part of a driving test
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:30 AM   #34
Lagemba
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 420d 2015 M Performance

I had a similar issue with a couple of tyres. I got run-flats they had starting at 140 pounds. 250 pounds sounds a bit overpriced in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 03:36 AM   #35
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
This has to be a wind up - the OP didn't notice their tyres were down to the thread and wasn't aware their car needed an MOT. At least I hope this is a wind up as this lack of competence suggests this person should not be owning/driving a car.
He's certainly a lucky guy because it appears from his OP that he has been driving since Sept past with no MOT and never pulled over.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 04:11 AM   #36
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
I was trying to offer advice where it isn't so convenient for others, just happened to use your example

I'd rather drink my own piss than go to any of those sort of places so I'd happily spend £50 quid to avoid them let alone 5

BTW - your petrol/diesel isn't free
Unless the BMW dealer is at his house surely the fuel comment is irrelevant?

The Kwik Fit near me is great. Good manager and quite a few experienced fitters. Never had a single problem there and really good value for swaps.

I even met a forum member there who bought my winter wheels off me last year and they swapped them off mine onto his. An easy pain free process.

Plus, you can usually see what they're doing to the car.

Not sure why people prefer taking their cars to BMW for this sort of stuff. Do you honestly believe that their fitters will be more experienced, or somehow have some love for your car?

Sounds like snobbery to me. Sure there are occasions where fitters damage things, but that happens everywhere, BMW fitters certainly aren't immune to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 04:37 AM   #37
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I think you missed the point
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 04:45 AM   #38
ossi1
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M Sport 340i

Its Kwik Fit story time haha

My lad took his car to KWIK FIT in Exeter for an MOT last Aug as they were doing an offer....he lives away from home (student) and I would have warned him if I''d known.

The car failed on 12 faults, suspension bushes, shocks and loads of other stuff and they told him the whole sub frame had to to come out and quoted him over a grand (it was 15 year old car). They also said that he couldn't drive it away despite none of the alleged faults being listed as dangerous.

I got it back home and let my trusted local garage have a look . One shock replaced and it passed. I was advised to report them to the DVSA and that the examiner should have his licence revoked.

I wouldn't go within a mile of the robbing bastards since they tried to tell me all my pads and discs were worn when I went in for a simple tyre change years ago - joke.

Avoid.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 04:57 AM   #39
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

Just replaced my front tyres at ATS - 245/40YR19 Dunlop Sportmaxx RFT @£238 each.
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 05:22 AM   #40
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheSea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
He's certainly a lucky guy because it appears from his OP that he has been driving since Sept past with no MOT and never pulled over.
Wasn't quite the case. BMW MOTed my car when I first picked it up however it wasn't past the three years point which threw me out and they never told me that they had done it. So I expected when I took it in in Sept that they'd MOT at the same time as doing the end of warranty check, when I picked it up it didn't cross my mind and haven't had to MOT a car previously wasn't sure of the process/documents I'd receive. I managed to tax my car last year therefore it had MOT but in my head I thought it was going to be from when I last took my car in (Sept)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 05:32 AM   #41
L9JVV
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

My lad took his car to KWIK FIT in Exeter for an MOT last Aug as they were doing an offer....he lives away from home (student) and I would have warned him if I''d known.

The car failed on 12 faults, suspension bushes, shocks and loads of other stuff and they told him the whole sub frame had to to come out and quoted him over a grand (it was 15 year old car). They also said that he couldn't drive it away despite none of the alleged faults being listed as dangerous.

I got it back home and let my trusted local garage have a look . One shock replaced and it passed. I was advised to report them to the DVSA and that the examiner should have his licence revoked.

I wouldn't go within a mile of the robbing bastards since they tried to tell me all my pads and discs were worn when I went in for a simple tyre change years ago - joke.

Avoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
I was trying to offer advice where it isn't so convenient for others, just happened to use your example

I'd rather drink my own piss than go to any of those sort of places so I'd happily spend £50 quid to avoid them let alone 5

BTW - your petrol/diesel isn't free

The Kwik Fit near me is great. Good manager and quite a few experienced fitters. Never had a single problem there and really good value for swaps.

I even met a forum member there who bought my winter wheels off me last year and they swapped them off mine onto his. An easy pain free process.

Plus, you can usually see what they're doing to the car.

Not sure why people prefer taking their cars to BMW for this sort of stuff. Do you honestly believe that their fitters will be more experienced, or somehow have some love for your car?

Sounds like snobbery to me. Sure there are occasions where fitters damage things, but that happens everywhere, BMW fitters certainly aren't immune to it.
I ended up going to Kwik Fit in the end and everything was fine, paid £360 for two Goodyears runflats for the rears.

Like SkyJawa said you can actually see what they are doing. I was at the window the whole time making sure they actually take care of it and only do what I asked.

Once all the tyres were done he came in and said do I want the tracking/alignment looked at, this is where I thought here we go. I said crack on with the free check but let me know the results, luckily they have a screen in the waiting room which is hooked up to the tracking/alignment machine which I observed as I was generally curious but I made sure he saw that I was looking at it so he couldn't come in a bulls*** me. Everything was fine with it.

He pulled my car out, I checked over the tyres and car to make sure everything was grand then off I went.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #42
spansar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M320d, CANCELLED G42 M240i

All sorted then :-)

Here is a useful link to check when MOT is due:-

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status

also to check previous mot history of the car:-

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Last edited by spansar; 01-25-2019 at 06:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #43
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spansar View Post
Here is a useful link to check when MOT is due:-

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status]
Link does not tell you anything about the MOT if the car has not yet had its first MOT.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:29 AM   #44
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Avoid.
Stopped off today and asked them to check my tyres. Pleasant service and advised that tyres were fully legal and sufficient tread to carry it thru MOT in march. Used them many times and no problems.
Appreciate 0