F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > so when did you get your first scratch/ding/chip
ARMA SPEED

12-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #67
mtbnole
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Msport

so, about 2 months in and I found the first chip today. two little ones about 1/16" apart right below the headlight. I'm going to try DR color chip...
      12-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #68
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

1 month and a week in

No scratches or dings
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 01:58 AM   #69
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL. View Post
Thread revived.

For those OCDers out there, how do you guys overcome small imperfections on your car, especially if it's something that you have caused?

dL
Blame wife/girlfriend anyway

So much easier to get fixed that way
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:05 AM   #70
plesg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallymore View Post
So I just took delivery of mein 335xi m sport earlier this week...

What a fantastic machine!

I love it so much that I'm so scared it may get a scratch/ding/chip soon.

so I had to go to the grocery store to pick up some groceries a few hours ago. When I was in the store, I got so worried cuz I was thinking what if some idiot hit it on the parking lot, or some kid is playing with the shopping carts around my car...I finished shopping in like 5 minutes...gosh waiting for the cashier to checkout took like forever! (there were 2 people in front of me, T.W.O!) Then I rushed out and I was so relieved when I saw it's still in perfect condition.

I'm in a dilemma. I find myself keep finding excuses to drive it more, but at the same time I'm also thinking that driving it more means higher risk of getting scratched/dinged/chipped...

I know, I know, the excitement of having a brand new car is gonna fade away. But I will try my best to keep it in perfect condition as much as I can. (I've been extremely careful with it, so far)

So...how's your bimmer doing so far? any scratch/ding/chip yet?
Hi from Australia, Was so funny to read your comment, I'm exactly the same re shopping centres or parking anywhere with my new F30 MSport 328i, scared as he'll leaving it, I go to great pains to park as safe and far away as I can, your not alone.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #71
pallymore
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi M Sport

Garage List
I accidentally scratched the trunk area yesterday when trying to load a really heavy box into the trunk

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #72
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

First ding after one week in, looks like a small pebble managed to find it's way to the rear bumper (guessing since it is too high to be from a collision).

Was thinking to get touch up paint to cover hit, then the day after i got it (4 weeks in) got rear ended by some chick driving while on the phone. Luckily it was stop and go traffic and just got another 2 small dings, plus a baseball sized slight deformation (barely visible, i also saw it with a torch and then feeling by touch).

Then 5 weeks in while washing the car, saw the wife made a 3 inches scratch on the front driver rim.

At this point i am not even bothering to repair that shit, just kept the money from the previous chick and plan to use that in a couple of months when, if all goes the same, the rear bumper will just be shredded and all the rims need replacements. Or who knows, by then i might just get TBoned and get a new car.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #73
endless402
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 EBII

6 months in, someone took a crowbar and pryed the gas door open and bashed my fender...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #74
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by endless402 View Post
6 months in, someone took a crowbar and pryed the gas door open and bashed my fender...
That is just evil. I park mine way away in parking lots and get the extra exercise. But targeted attacks and wayward shopping carts can happen anyway.
      01-23-2014, 11:55 AM   #75
endless402
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 EBII

yup was terrible. just got it back after a week and the fender is a totally different shade of blue and one of my exterior trim pieces has a few long/wide scratches prob cause the repair guy's glove was rough.

FYI I went to a BMW Canada approved repair shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #76
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

Angry Par for the course

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwickers View Post
First ding after one week in, looks like a small pebble managed to find it's way to the rear bumper (guessing since it is too high to be from a collision).

Was thinking to get touch up paint to cover hit, then the day after i got it (4 weeks in) got rear ended by some chick driving while on the phone. Luckily it was stop and go traffic and just got another 2 small dings, plus a baseball sized slight deformation (barely visible, i also saw it with a torch and then feeling by touch).

Then 5 weeks in while washing the car, saw the wife made a 3 inches scratch on the front driver rim.

At this point i am not even bothering to repair that shit, just kept the money from the previous chick and plan to use that in a couple of months when, if all goes the same, the rear bumper will just be shredded and all the rims need replacements. Or who knows, by then i might just get TBoned and get a new car.
Well i was almost correct, since then only got 3 more: rear right bumper, lear left wheel arch, and today someone apparently swiped their rear tire on my front left bumper.... all i guess happened while the car was park at various mall parking lots ...

I won't be able to hide that front bumper damage, it's got multiple lacerations some are straight some curved (guessing from the other car's rim) plus some black rubber marks from the tire (should have gone for a black car instead of AW ...)

In hindsight i should not have backed into that parking slot, have I parked the other way around i could have replaced the back and got rid of 90% of the previous damage

So the car had a great month
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #77
mr_g1ll
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

My 328i has this annoying little depression near the wheel arch towards the front passenger side. I wouldn't even deem it a dent, but its so annoying -_-. If you look REALLY close its noticeable and if you run your hand over it it can be felt. Any tips on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 01:31 AM   #78
TheBigDog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Sport

Garage List
2017 BMW 330  [10.00]
Got mine yesterday....just over a month old and 1,000 miles. Backing into the garage and in my attempt to keep the passenger side door as close to the wall so the wife's large SUV will fit on the other side and allow us to both fully open our doors. It rubber against the wall (short concrete stub wall with a rough texture) on the corner of the bumper. I think I can buff most of it out...so now it's time to buy a DA orbital polisher.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #79
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_g1ll View Post
My 328i has this annoying little depression near the wheel arch towards the front passenger side. I wouldn't even deem it a dent, but its so annoying -_-. If you look REALLY close its noticeable and if you run your hand over it it can be felt. Any tips on this?
I have a slight depression by the upper right corner of the right rear light where it wraps around the side. Very faint and it couldn't be from a car door or shopping cart. Probably on the boat of something.

I remembered I took some pictures the day I picked it up and it looks like it was there already. If I get any door dings, I'll see if that can be popped out as well by paintless removal.
      02-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #80
mr_g1ll
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I have a slight depression by the upper right corner of the right rear light where it wraps around the side. Very faint and it couldn't be from a car door or shopping cart. Probably on the boat of something.

I remembered I took some pictures the day I picked it up and it looks like it was there already. If I get any door dings, I'll see if that can be popped out as well by paintless removal.
Yup mine is more or less at that location. A PDR guy estimated $200 to get the job done. I'm however due for some other touchups at a body shop soon and will just toughen it out til then I guess. Annoying nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #81
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Just curious, does anyone actually care for their car a lot if it is leased and you do not plan to buy it out at the end?

Thread revived haha.

dL
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #82
335i_4D
Now in the dark side !
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 911S 997.2 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dL. View Post
Just curious, does anyone actually care for their car a lot if it is leased and you do not plan to buy it out at the end?
Exactly the case with my wife Mini Cooper.

I take good care of it, since I like to have a clean car, and I've been in both end of the spectrum (renting and returning, purchasing a previously rented car).

As for the purpose of the thread, 1st scratch made by opening the incredibly long Mini Cooper door on my front fender

Nothing a quick compound - sealant couldn't fix though.
2010 X5 35d Black fully loaded (Sold)
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #83
RicardoSwe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Mineral Grey

~5 days. I got front bumper chip while driving to detailer to have clear bra installed. (!!).

He touched it up as best he could before installing clear bra. Gotta know it's there to see it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #84
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

So what was your first INTERIOR scratch, chip or ding?

And let me venture to guess, it's most likely done by your wife or girlfriend or your friend. Haha!

And am I the only one that gets annoyed of people getting out of your car carelessly and kicking your lower door panel?

---

I'll start with mine. Being a dumbass, I didn't use a trim removal tool to take out the iDrive aluminum piece to add some foam tape underneath as it was rattling.

As a result, I made an ever-so-slight chip (aluminum bulged) where I made contact to lift up the trim piece. Thankfully it is hidden by the center console, but it still bugs me a bit too date. But then again, that piece gets scratched very easily and I found various chip and scratches already and have no idea how it happened. That piece is full of battle scars!

Speaking of aluminum piece, the door handle one also got a few and I have no idea how also. Thought aluminum would be stronger than plastic fake woods.

dL
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:30 AM   #85
Jera_Jakerz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i xDrive

Last Thursday. I had to skip my delivery briefing from the dealer due to work constraints and rescheduled the appointment 6 days later. When showing some people the car I found an imperfection with the paint that would not go away from washing and knew nothing about what to do, so I decided to show the dealer at my appointment.

He was unable to get a good look because the car was already dirty (pollen) so I grabbed some Windex and paper towel and cleaned the spot. In doing so I put about 6-9 tiny 3 inch scratches in and around the imperfection. I have since learned to not use paper towels on my Jet Black car.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 05:32 PM   #86
ASV731
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Sport Line

Unfortunately, I just received my first ding when some little kid opened the door of an old black accord and swung it right into my door. I tried polishing it with Meguier's Scratch X compound and claying it but it didn't work. There's no dent but the color is still there. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

black grills, Scorpian King 35%, Carbon fiber wrapped interior, Weisslicht LED turnsignals, Rocksford Fosgate 12" Powered Subwoofer, 19" AG M359 in Satin Black wrapped with 245/40R19 Hankook Ventus V12
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:30 PM   #87
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Noticed my first effing chip yesterday on the front seam of the hood.

So besides dr. Paint chip or whatever it's called, which touch up is best to get? Does the BMW brand allow the recommended toothpick application? I've seen the bmw brand, along with others that come as a "pen", in a jar etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #88
TractionControl=OFF
Banned
Rep
Drives: XP-38 (F30) Landspeeder

Mine came out of the delivery with a scratch that they didnt fix... and a punctured seat that they patched.... any advice how to handle this? they are so not eager to help me either
Appreciate 0