F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DINANTRONICS tune now available for 335i, 435i, 535i Electronic Wastegate
ARMA SPEED

09-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #111
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post

All numbers given for dinan tronics are based on the difference in measured stock to what our tune did on our test vehicle. We provide a graph showing exactly what we measured for both stock and with tune on each product page. The hp and torque rating given earlier in the thread is a real number not derived by including the under rated factory rating but the delta we measured from stock to tune.

Not sure why we got away from these graphs the last generation of cars but I am glad that we are back to providing this data like we did in the distant past.
Well, let's be honest here...the charts posted aren't the actual "graph showing exactly what we measured for both stock and with tune." You guys dyno the car on a DynaPack, add an arbitrary percentage you feel appropriate to make up for drivetrain loss to estimate crank HP, plug the numbers into Excel and have it spit out a chart. Actual dyno charts would be nice, but of course that doesn't speak to your demographic.

According to a Dinan rep, the M235i with the D-Tronics made 315 RWHP on Dinan's dyno, up from their 295 RWHP it did stock. A 20 RWHP gain is exactly what we've seen on the dyno as well from the 2-Series forum. That's not to say that the crank HP figures reported are wrong, but it's easy to paint a different picture depending on how you report results.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #112
BMWnStuff
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnStuff View Post
Do they have this... But for x28i series? Would love to look more into this for my 328i
Answered earlier in the thread. After m3/m4 the x28 (4 cylinder) will be the next applications out. They are targeted as an October release but that is just the target date. A lot can happen good or bad in that amount of time to push the release forward or backward.
If/when this becomes available I would be very interested in it should similar gains be achieved! Wondering how this relates to the BMW warranty and if it voids it or not. I like not paying for oil changes.

Most importantly though... Is there a Dinan anywhere in Houston, TX?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #113
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

360hp & 392tq @ cranck or wheels?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #114
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnStuff
Quote:
Quote:
Do they have this... But for x28i series? Would love to look more into this for my 328i
Answered earlier in the thread. After m3/m4 the x28 (4 cylinder) will be the next applications out. They are targeted as an October release but that is just the target date. A lot can happen good or bad in that amount of time to push the release forward or backward.
If/when this becomes available I would be very interested in it should similar gains be achieved! Wondering how this relates to the BMW warranty and if it voids it or not. I like not paying for oil changes.

Momentum BMW is a dealer. Dinan provides you with a warranty that matches a stock one for any items that are related to your upgrades. The rest of your warranty is still covered by BMW. It's makes it a lot easier if your BMW dealer is also the Dinan rep. You will not loose your free oil changes. My Dinan S1 M5 is getting it's free oil change as I type.
      09-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #115
energyIB
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22 View Post
360hp & 392tq @ cranck or wheels?
Crank
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #116
dznutz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M550i

Still nothing for the X3 35i???
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 10:51 PM   #117
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

You had me until you said you have to go to a Dinan dealership to get installed. It's a shame you can't purchase the tune and self install, then the user have a Dinan account where they could plug in the module and load and activate the software to the VIN. I'm sure Dinan does this so someone can't transfer to another car. I had Dinan on my 08 335 and was a pain to drive 5 hours to get it re flashed.
      09-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #118
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
You had me until you said you have to go to a Dinan dealership to get installed. It's a shame you can't purchase the tune and self install, then the user have a Dinan account where they could plug in the module and load and activate the software to the VIN. I'm sure Dinan does this so someone can't transfer to another car. I had Dinan on my 08 335 and was a pain to drive 5 hours to get it re flashed.
You can self install.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #119
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
You can self install.
Not according to their info page:

"Plug-and-Play installation in two hours or less at any of the 180+ Dinan® Dealers. While firmware is loaded directly on the ECU the model specific software will need to be downloaded into the ECU by an authorized Dinan dealer after installation. Log on to www.dinancars.com to find your nearest dealer or contact Dinan to make an appointment."
      09-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #120
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:
. Or you could install it yourself if you are feeling up to it. We supply detailed instructions on how to install the unit/harness so as long as you are comfortable with doing that, that is also a solution. Installation mostly requires simple hand tools but you will also need to have the ability to clear codes during one phase of installation in order for the unit to run correctly. Please feel free to call one of our sales reps for any further information if this is something you wish to pursue.
Self-install.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #121
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnStuff
Quote:
Quote:

See spinny's response above for the warranty aspect.

Houston dealers include bmw of Houston north, momentum bmw, and momentum bmw west. I am pretty sure there is an independent non-dealership as well but I can't think of a name off hand. You can easily get a listing on our website though.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:51 PM   #122
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti
See above for previous response. You can self install. We would prefer you go through a dealer just in case something goes wrong but we realize that's not always a realistic option.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:54 PM   #123
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznutz
Still nothing for the X3 35i???
Already been answered previously. Get enough people requesting the thing and make it evident it's a viable product and it will become one.

I did share this sudden outpouring of requests for that vehicle and it appears that it is now on the radar and being looked at. No idea when a solution may come out but it appears the response caught an ear.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 01:04 AM   #124
ma3loom
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT 2014

I just ordered stage 1 for my F30. Probably have it installed next week when the piece gets in.

Agreed it is pricey, here is some rationale unless you're out of warranty. Car is 8 months old. No other tuner offers that and to me that's a huge point because IF something goes wrong it damn going to cost me more than the difference between a JBL and a Dinan. Additionally its completely tuned for BMW and doesn't over reach the power. If Dinan wasn't going to offer the warranty I'd never tune my car. Piece of mind that if &**# hits the fan, I won't be out of pocket. You pay that just for extended warranty from BMW post factory. This isn't like flashing your phone. I replace that like I do my underwear.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 04:17 AM   #125
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Speaking of warranty. At least here in Canada, the dealer makes you sign a document where you give up the option to buy extended warranty past 4y/50k mls. from BMW.

This particular issue doesn't give a lot of confidence past the regular warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 03:17 PM   #126
ualdrivr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
We are working on it. Slowly but surely. We have had a 328i that we have been working on and off again for awhile. Just so happens we keep loaning it out as a loaner vehicle while we work on development on the bigger cars (8 and 6 cylinder). Luckily we are nearing the end on quite a bit of development on the aforementioned vehicles so the N20 should become more of a priority. The end goal, and we are well on pace to accomplish it, is to have a tune for nearly all the BMW product line (minus diesel) before years end.
Anything like that for a 2011 e92 335xi?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #127
spitcool
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

hey dinan! thanks for having a presence in the forums

i have MPPK and MPE on an otherwise stock 2014 F30 335i. i'm happy to drop it off for testing (i'm over in the east bay, union city) if you need one. pending development of an MPPK-friendly tune, i'll be salivating at the idea
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #128
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

IF you have a sort of Stage 2 for MPPK folks (if you're able to stack).....when you mention that intake and exhaust might be needed....they wouldn't have to be Dinan products, would they? I have a Borla full catback and an AFE Magnum intake on order....I hope those would do the job. I sure hope you guys figure a way to stack as that will certainly open up Dinantronics sales to more people.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #129
iceman335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 xDrive35i M-Sport

You need to make sure that your 2015 model has the oil cooler, please refer to the below post. I guess BMW start using something like an oil/water heat exchanger on the oil filter housing, instead of oil cooler on newly made 2014+ X3 35i.

The above 2 pics are older(11-13?) X3 35i, the bottom one is the 2014 model, you can clearly see the difference.

At least my 2012 has the separate oil cooler behind the passenger side intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
I can't tell you how much goodwill you create by interacting with enthusiasts.

I hadn't been in the market for one, but I would now purchase a Dinan tune for my 2015 X3 xDrive35i- if you'd make one (and I don't think I'm alone).
Attached Images

Last edited by Moderator; 09-13-2014 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:06 AM   #130
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdrivr
Quote:
We are working on it. Slowly but surely. We have had a 328i that we have been working on and off again for awhile. Just so happens we keep loaning it out as a loaner vehicle while we work on development on the bigger cars (8 and 6 cylinder). Luckily we are nearing the end on quite a bit of development on the aforementioned vehicles so the N20 should become more of a priority. The end goal, and we are well on pace to accomplish it, is to have a tune for nearly all the BMW product line (minus diesel) before years end.
Anything like that for a 2011 e92 335xi?
I believe all development on all e9x vehicles has ceased. There may be some 'racing' type items in the pipeline, in the same vein as larger turbos or stroker motors but the typical upgrades for that generation I beLieve are all completed.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:07 AM   #131
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitcool
hey dinan! thanks for having a presence in the forums

i have MPPK and MPE on an otherwise stock 2014 F30 335i. i'm happy to drop it off for testing (i'm over in the east bay, union city) if you need one. pending development of an MPPK-friendly tune, i'll be salivating at the idea
We own our own 335i with MPPK but thank you for the offer. 😊
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:16 AM   #132
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd
IF you have a sort of Stage 2 for MPPK folks (if you're able to stack).....when you mention that intake and exhaust might be needed....they wouldn't have to be Dinan products, would they? I have a Borla full catback and an AFE Magnum intake on order....I hope those would do the job. I sure hope you guys figure a way to stack as that will certainly open up Dinantronics sales to more people.
Stage 2 and beyond always recommend or require additional hardware. While we obviously recommend our own stuff this is mainly because we have tested it that way. Another manufacturer's part may not provide the same result or perhaps yield some unintended byproduct. Given, this may not be very likely but we just don't know since if was not tested.

Bottom line is you certainly can have other branded performance mods to go with the higher stages but we just can't guarantee the results will be the same as what may have been claimed.
Appreciate 0