F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Brake disc wiping/drying?
Studio RSR

12-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Brake disc wiping/drying?

Do any BMWs have this feature? Is this something that can be enabled via coding?

If you aren't familiar, this is a feature common on VAG cars, where any time the windshield wipers are active, the brakes are automatically applied very gently (you'd never know it was happening) to keep water from building up on the disks and causing poor initial bite.

I got so used to this feature with my last car, I've been surprised how bad the initial bite is in the rain on my F30. I can retrain myself to apply the brakes now and then in the rain, but I'd rather enable the feature if it is built into the control modules and simply disabled.

Does anyone know if BMW offers this feature on any cars (if not, it's not likely supported by the control modules at all).

I did search this forum, but saw no references to it that I could find.

Edit: Hmm, did searching elsewhere.. I've found claims that all BMWs have brake disc wiping, I wonder if it isn't working right on mine?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

I'm not sure if it's standard.
But my F30 from 2014 had this feature and my current F30 LCI from 2015 has this feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #3
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, I started poking through my NCDs.. found the feature, and it is enabled:
DSC_CT01:
3000 DSC Coding general
C function dry brake active
Aktiv = 01

Does it actually work well for you? The initial brake bite when it's been raining hard is disturbingly poor.. which makes sense if that feature doesn't work/isn't enabled, but I never had that problem in my previous car.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:35 AM   #4
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

In my current F30 i didn't drive much in the rain.
In my old F30 i felt the dry braking function and braking in the rain was ok with only a little braking delay.
My older E90 had there bigger problems. Sometimes by driving in the rain the brakes had a very big delay.

If i remember correctly somewhere there is a coding value for changing the brake pressure at the dry braking.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
stevej1976
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Yeah, I started poking through my NCDs.. found the feature, and it is enabled:
DSC_CT01:
3000 DSC Coding general
C function dry brake active
Aktiv = 01

Does it actually work well for you? The initial brake bite when it's been raining hard is disturbingly poor.. which makes sense if that feature doesn't work/isn't enabled, but I never had that problem in my previous car.
Sorry to drag up an old post, what software/cable do you use to check the coding? Thanks Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej1976 View Post
Sorry to drag up an old post, what software/cable do you use to check the coding? Thanks Steve
There's a whole forum section dedicated to this, with howtos:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=429

Basically, you need an enet cable (easily available on ebay or amazon - I think I paid around $20), and you need e-sys (Look at the sticky threads in the forum section above).
Appreciate 0