F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Akrapovic Downpipe B58
GetBMWParts

02-04-2020, 05:49 AM   #1
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Akrapovic Downpipe B58

I know there are a number of DP threads, but I am specifically interested in the user experience from the Akrapovic DP for B58

- Sound (Start-up; Comfort; Sport)
- Quality in general
- Performance benefits
      02-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
I know there are a number of DP threads, but I am specifically interested in the user experience from the Akrapovic DP for B58

- Sound (Start-up; Comfort; Sport)
- Quality in general
- Performance benefits
-Sound (Start-up; Comfort; Sport)
Similar to any other downpipe. Louder on cold start and sport mode.

- Quality in general
top quality

- Performance benefits
depends on your tune but anywhere from 10-30 HP
      02-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Performance benefits without extra tune or for example in combination with MPPSK...?
      02-04-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
fLatLinE-
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340xi

Are there any known issues with CEL popping on with this downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Cannot be. It is catted and conforming to Euro 6. Same HJS cat as in AC Schnitzer DP.
      02-13-2020, 06:42 AM   #6
Neil07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340

I have one installed on my car and I have never had a CEL light come on. The car is definitely louder in morning when I start it up, but during normal driving there is not much difference. I do not know how much horsepower it added by itself. When I installed it, I also added a tune to the car. I've been very happy with the quality of it and the fit was perfect.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:13 AM   #7
petripaa
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i xDrive (2017)

I have 440i with MPPSK and akrapovic downpipe. Sound check available here:

No CEL or other problems. Quality of the product is top notch, way better than OEM. Fits like a glove.

It is not much louder in comfort mode, but with flaps open (in sport mode) difference is very noticeable.

Performance benefits without other mods are not very noticeable.
Appreciate 2
Skyhigh779.50
cfm56d7b2653.50

02-14-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by petripaa View Post
I have 440i with MPPSK and akrapovic downpipe. Sound check available here:

No CEL or other problems. Quality of the product is top notch, way better than OEM. Fits like a glove.

It is not much louder in comfort mode, but with flaps open (in sport mode) difference is very noticeable.

Performance benefits without other mods are not very noticeable.
Great video. The equivalent of automotive acoustics opera ... that good.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #9
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I finally had my Akrapovic DP installed today!
I have done a lot of research before and after buying it, so here some info about it which may be of interest to some of you, together with my very first impressions from the very short (just over 10km) trip with it today. I will be updating this post as I gather more experience with it

Background data:
The Akrapovic DP features a HJS 300 cell catalytic converter (the same cat as in various reputable DPs, including HJS's own DP, AC Schnitzer, Wagner and others). The cat conforms fully with EURO 6 and is type-approved (ECE marking, no effect on the environmental rating).
What is different about the Akrapovic DP however is the high quality materials (cast iron!) and gas-flow optimised design.

Here another good thread with pictures, for reference: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23385281

My own questions from the first post in this thread answered by myself now:
Note that I have MPPSK exhaust system, so my experience would be certainly different from Akrapovic DP in combination with the stock exhaust.

Sound (Start-up; Comfort; Sport)

- Start-up out in the open - from inside the car
- absolutely no perceivable difference (I am happy about that)
- Start-up in a garage, door open - somewhat louder (less than feared!) but mainly deeper (lower frequency, higher bass) sound. A new, metallic noise/echo is added (as reported by a number of DP-users), which disappears after the cold-start phase / as the cat warms up. I believe it is no longer there even during a cold-start, whilst the DP is still warm/hot.
- Start-up in a garage, doors closed - not much perceived difference. Minimally louder. Metallic noise (see above) not audible from the inside.
- Cruising in Comfort (<3000 RPM) - zero perceivable difference. Ironically I even thought the car is now quiter (which cannot be true)
- I have not yet done more dynamic driving in Comfort
- Sport mode - definitely amplified sound, acoustically modified and more attractive, deeper ROAR, loud pops and bangs. If, with the MPPSK, the car already sounded like a hungry Tiger.... now it sounds like his very, very angry father and king of the jungle That good. I need to drive more to be able to say if and when it becomes annoying, but from the inside at least it is not as insanely louder as feared. And fortunately - there is Comfort mode!

Quality in general
As well known already, the Akrapovic downpipe quality is TOP NOTCH!! Design, materials, build - all impressive! Without a doubt better than the OEM.

Here a comparison between the OEM cat (this is the 1st pie, the second one is less restrictive, to be fair) and the HJS:

Performance benefits

According to Akrapovic - 18 PS and 17 Nm (without software). According to other sources and actual dyno measurements - between 15 and 25 PS and 20-30 Nm.
For the short ride at least - not perceivable, as expected. Curious if Dragy would disagree...

Other
I did catch Akrapovic in a lie!
Here is what they state about weight:

And reality...

Akrapovic is not 400g. lighter... it is 240g heavier

Can share more impressions once I collect more experience with the setup.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 11-04-2020 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Adding impressions
Appreciate 2
vcx24.00
IMS-340MP146.50

11-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts

11-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #11
Miaf30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Quote:
I finally had my Akrapovic DP installed today!
I have done a lot of research before and after buying it, so here some info about it which may be of interest to some of you, together with my very first impressions from the very short (just over 10km) trip with it today.

Background data:
The Akrapovic DP features a HJS 300 cell catalytic converter (the same cat as in various reputable DPs, including HJS's own DP, AC Schnitzer and others). The cat conforms fully with EURO 6 and is type-approved (ECE marking, no effect on the environmental rating).
What is different about the Akrapovic DP however is the high quality materials (cast iron!) and gas-flow optimised design.

Here another good thread with pictures, for reference: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23385281

My own questions from the first post in this thread answered by myself now:
Note that I have MPPSK exhaust system, so my experience would be certainly different from Akrapovic DP in combination with the stock exhaust.

Sound (Start-up; Comfort; Sport)

- Start-up out in the open - from inside the car
- absolutely no perceivable difference (I am happy about that)
- Start-up in a garage - slightly louder (less than feared!) but mainly deeper (lower frequency, higher bass) sound
- Cruising in Comfort (<3000 RPM) - zero perceivable difference. Ironically I even thought the car is now quiter (which cannot be true)
- I have not yet done more dynamic driving in Comfort
- Sport mode - definitely amplified sound, acoustically modified and more attractive, deeper ROAR, loud pops and bangs. If, with the MPPSK, the car already sounded like a hungry Tiger.... now it sounds like his very, very angry father and king of the jungle That good. I need to drive more to be able to say if and when it becomes annoying, but from the inside at least it is not as insanely louder as feared. And fortunately - there is Comfort mode!

Quality in general
As well known already, the Akrapovic downpipe quality is TOP NOTCH!! Design, materials, build - all impressive! Without a doubt better than the OEM.

Here a comparison between the OEM cat (this is the 1st pie, the second one is less restrictive, to be fair) and the HJS:

Performance benefits

According to Akrapovic - 18 PS and 17 Nm (without software). According to other sources and actual dyno measurements - between 15 and 25 PS and 20-30 Nm.
For the short ride at least - not perceivable, as expected. Curious if Dragy would disagree...

Other
I did catch Akrapovic in a lie!
Here is what they state about weight:

And reality...

Akrapovic is not 400g. lighter... it is 240g heavier

Can share more impressions once I collect more experience with the setup.
Great post! Can you post a clip of you driving in comfort? Just want to get an idea of how it sounds inside while cruising normally before I order one
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #12
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Can do, but as you know, video clips do no justice to sound...

What should guide you is that user opinions about sound/noise difference in Comfort vary between "none" and "very little".... and I am now confident and relieved that that is in fact true.

Where I may have noticed some noise increase is around 2000 rpm where there is (valid for MPPSK only) a certain drone by default. This may be slightly more pronounced now.

I have yet to collect more experience
      11-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #13
Miaf30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can do, but as you know, video clips do no justice to sound...

What should guide you is that user opinions about sound/noise difference in Comfort vary between "none" and "very little".... and I am now confident and relieved that that is in fact true.

Where I may have noticed some noise increase is around 2000 rpm where there is (valid for MPPSK only) a certain drone by default. This may be slightly more pronounced now.

I have yet to collect more experience
I appreciate it. I have mppsk as well so that 2000-3000 rpm range (when the valve opens) is what worries me
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The valves open at 4000
You are "safe" below it.
But that's something I haven't tested. Drove very civilised in Comfort and did not go over 4000. Then I switched to Sport and drove uncivilised 😄

11-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #15
jnj2455
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i 6MT

Perfect timing, I was just thinking to myself the other day what the car would sound like with a proper downpipe with the MPPSK.

But did I read that right? $2500 for this piece??

2008 Maxima 3.5 SE ('08 - '11)
2011 GTI, 2DR, 6MT ('11 - '20)
2019 440i F32, 6MT, MPPSK ('20-present)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #16
Miaf30
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post
Perfect timing, I was just thinking to myself the other day what the car would sound like with a proper downpipe with the MPPSK.

Yup... I am thinking of going with Active Autowerke highflow. Also has a no CEL Guarantee and it is half the price
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:12 PM   #17
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnj2455 View Post

It is probably the best quality DP on the market... and one of the most expensive.
2500 USD does sound a bit excessive though. The catalogue price in Europe is under €1800... and that is nowhere near $2500...

I wanted a quality product and after research I concluded I want a HJS cat-based DP. Narrowed down my choice to:
- HJS's own DP
- AC Schnitzer (who sell a rebranded HJS DP.... 1:1, just extra customer support and warranty in case BMW refuse a warranty case because of the DP, which at least in Europe they are less likely to do with AC Schnitzer)
- Akrapovic

You get best value for money with the HJS DP. I was leaning towards it, unless I find an AC Schnitzer one on discount, with a closer price to the HJS.

I eventually found the Akrapovic with a discount, for a price just under the price of AC Schnitzer .... Given the significantly better design and extra quality - it was a no-brainer, even if still more expensive than the HJS DP

There are many cheap(er) DPs out on the market. Some melt down, some through a CEL and some are simply ok. You need to decide what you are after and how much you want to spend. You get what you pay for

Last edited by Skyhigh; 11-03-2020 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
Miaf303.00

11-04-2020, 05:50 AM   #18
disintegrator66
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 340i M-Sport 6MT THP MPPSK

Quote:
It is probably the best quality DP on the market... and one of the most expensive.
2500 USD does sound a bit excessive though. The catalogue price in Europe is under 1800... and that is nowhere near $2500...

I wanted a quality product and after research I concluded I want a HJS cat-based DP. Narrowed down my choice to:
- HJS's own DP
- AC Schnitzer (who sell a rebranded HJS DP.... 1:1, just extra customer support and warranty in case BMW refuse a warranty case because of the DP, which at least in Europe they are less likely to do with AC Schnitzer)
- Akrapovic

You get best value for money with the HJS DP. I was leaning towards it, unless I find an AC Schnitzer one on discount, with a closer price to the HJS.

I eventually found the Akrapovic with a discount, for a price just under the price of AC Schnitzer .... Given the significantly better design and extra quality - it was a no-brainer, even if still more expensive than the HJS DP

There are many cheap(er) DPs out on the market. Some melt down, some through a CEL and some are simply ok. You need to decide what you are after and how much you want to spend. You get what you pay for
Hook us up with this "discount" bro!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:09 AM   #19
vcx
Private
Rep
Drives: 340 xdrive MPPSK 6-manual

Thank you OP!

I am very interested in reading your review once you will have put more miles with the new DP! Especially if the sound changes after some times.

Another question to the forum members: with a simple stage 1 tune, does that akra DP bring some benefits, performance wise, comparing with standard DP ?

I am aware that for most tuners, st. 1 doesn't require a sport DP, but I wonder if somehow the ECU will still adapts to it and be more performant.

Corvette C6 Z06 Z07
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 08:20 AM   #20
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

vcx
Happy to report.
Something from today to add to my review - I did a cold start in a garage, with the door open, to assess the difference.
Yes - it is a notch louder and there is that new metallic noise/echo, which I have seen people report about various DPs. It is only there when the cat is cold, then it disappears.
Here a video from another B58 user with a HJS downpipe, which gives an idea about that noise:

With door closed however, from the inside the noise level during cold start is to me subjectively the same as before. (Reminder - this is with the MPPSK exhaust system). I will update my review post accordingly.

To your question - what do you mean by "standard DP" - the stock one?
If so - a sport-cat DP (irrespective of whether it is Akrapovic or other) always brings performance benefits, even without any tune. Without a tune, you are looking at the numbers I quoted in my review/summary above. With a tune - the more aggressive - the higher the benefits. It is not required for Stage 1 tunes, but it is recommended for Stage 2, as the stock DP creates too much backpressure/resistance for the increased engine exhaust output.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 11-04-2020 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #21
Skyhigh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by disintegrator66 View Post

Hook us up with this "discount" bro!
It was an Easter discount.
That's right - that's how long I had to wait to have it installed, due to COVID! 🤦🏻*♂️
      11-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #22
340iNL
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 BMW 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaf30 View Post
Yup... I am thinking of going with Active Autowerke highflow. Also has a no CEL Guarantee and it is half the price
I went with the Active Autowerke too after debating Akrapovic, HJS, CSG1, AA
I did not want the cheaper ones like VRSF, CTS, etc.

AA and CSG1 are somewhere priced in the middle with no CEL and active autowerke showed some nice support on this forum so I went with them

Friday it will be installed I'll post some vids on the forum

BMW 330D F30 '15 (sold)
BMW 745D E65 '06 (sold)
Appreciate 1
Miaf303.00