F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > CTS chatted downpipe arrived!
ARMA SPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #1
les anderson
Private First Class
119
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Not a ton posted on this piece so here we go!

Over the last several months I have gone back and forth between catless, catted, bracket, no bracket, etc.

Finally decided that I did not want to risk the smell of catless, and also didn't love the idea of being environmentally unfriendedly- 19 mpg city is enough for me! Found this CTS Turbo 200 cell catted unit for $329 from MAPerformance. It took a couple of weeks to ship (they stated 3-4) and finally arrived today.$329 is as cheap as I have found for a catted pipe from reputable brand, let us know if you have done better!

Looks great so far and the flex joint has some give. Am excited to get it installed!


[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images
     
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
Alan340
Private First Class
43
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 340i
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Panama

iTrader: (0)

CTS is a great brand in my opinion. I got their catless downpipe and charge pipe. Fit and finish are spot on, and great pricing too.
__________________
340i RWD (IG @340i_pa)
AFE Drop in Filter
CTS Catless DP, Chargepipe & Heat Exchanger
PTP Turbo Blanket: AEM Meth Kit: Custom Exhaust
BM3 + XHP
Appreciate 2
      09-02-2020, 12:13 AM   #3
G.Newt
Captain
302
Rep
661
Posts

Drives: 340i xDrive 6-Speed
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by les anderson View Post
Not a ton posted on this piece so here we go!

Over the last several months I have gone back and forth between catless, catted, bracket, no bracket, etc.

Finally decided that I did not want to risk the smell of catless, and also didn't love the idea of being environmentally unfriendedly- 19 mpg city is enough for me! Found this CTS Turbo 200 cell catted unit for $329 from MAPerformance. It took a couple of weeks to ship (they stated 3-4) and finally arrived today.$329 is as cheap as I have found for a catted pipe from reputable brand, let us know if you have done better!

Looks great so far and the flex joint has some give. Am excited to get it installed!


[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
How strict is Miami emissions? It looks like this will throw a CEL according to CTS.
__________________
2016 340i xDrive 6-speed.
FBO. Stage 2 E30 BM3. 440hp / 515lb-ft (Mustang Dyno)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #4
les anderson
Private First Class
119
Rep
180
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
How strict is Miami emissions? It looks like this will throw a CEL according to CTS.
There is no emissions testing in FL, my concern with catless was the smell. I got behind an s4 that was catless a few weeks ago and that sealed the deal for me!

I will see how long I can go before I get a CEL, but I run bm3 anyway.
Appreciate 1
G.Newt301.50

      09-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
13151
Rep
141,627
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Congrats
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
henry_z4
New Member
0
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 320d e92 performance
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Italy - Bologna

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by les anderson View Post
There is no emissions testing in FL, my concern with catless was the smell. I got behind an s4 that was catless a few weeks ago and that sealed the deal for me!

I will see how long I can go before I get a CEL, but I run bm3 anyway.
Hi, Just got same DP from CTS turbo.
Have you installed it? Any CEL so far?
I was thinking about adding a Wagner O2 sensor eliminator but I don't know if it could keep me clear from CEL.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #7
PeterWT
Lieutenant
PeterWT's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

For anyone that has actually installed this DP:
How was the fit? Plug & play?
How is the sound? Deep & throaty, or tin can full of nails?
Thanks!
__________________
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, CTS Turbo 200 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #8
PeterWT
Lieutenant
PeterWT's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

Well, I hope it sounds good, 'cause I just bought it. LOL!
__________________
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, CTS Turbo 200 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
13151
Rep
141,627
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Well, I hope it sounds good, 'cause I just bought it. LOL!
plug and play sound really nice and you get the same power increase as the catless. Unless you have a flash tune, you will get a CEL
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:48 PM   #10
PeterWT
Lieutenant
PeterWT's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
plug and play sound really nice and you get the same power increase as the catless. Unless you have a flash tune, you will get a CEL
Thanks Mike. I won't be installing the DP until after my factory warranty expires in December. And I also plan to do an MHD stage 2, 93 octane flash and an xHP stage 2 flash at the same time.
I'm still debating whether or not to use an elbow on the 2nd O2 sensor to avoid the CEL, because I'm concerned that using an elbow might mess up AFR. I haven't seen any definitive answer regarding that.
__________________
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, CTS Turbo 200 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #11
pauli18c
First Lieutenant
pauli18c's Avatar
United_States
95
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 340i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Thanks Mike. I won't be installing the DP until after my factory warranty expires in December. And I also plan to do an MHD stage 2, 93 octane flash and an xHP stage 2 flash at the same time.
I'm still debating whether or not to use an elbow on the 2nd O2 sensor to avoid the CEL, because I'm concerned that using an elbow might mess up AFR. I haven't seen any definitive answer regarding that.
If you're getting tuned you wont need the elbow as the tune will shut the check engine light off
__________________
2017 340i M Sport Alpine white / Coral
Dorch Stg2, CTS catless, xHP, Custom MHD
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #12
PeterWT
Lieutenant
PeterWT's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli18c View Post
If you're getting tuned you wont need the elbow as the tune will shut the check engine light off
It's my understanding that the O2 sensor CEL (fault code) can be cleared, but will come back.
Are you saying that a flash tune would prevent or suppress it? That was not my understanding.
__________________
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, CTS Turbo 200 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #13
pauli18c
First Lieutenant
pauli18c's Avatar
United_States
95
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 340i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
It's my understanding that the O2 sensor CEL (fault code) can be cleared, but will come back.
Are you saying that a flash tune would prevent or suppress it? That was not my understanding.
yes the flash tune will keep it off for good, you wont need to clear it or anything
__________________
2017 340i M Sport Alpine white / Coral
Dorch Stg2, CTS catless, xHP, Custom MHD
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:14 AM   #14
PeterWT
Lieutenant
PeterWT's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli18c View Post
yes the flash tune will keep it off for good, you wont need to clear it or anything
Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for sharing that info. Is there anything I'll need to do in the MHD OTS map settings to achieve this, or does the software just ignore this code and not throw a CEL?
__________________
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, CTS Turbo 200 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:25 AM   #15
pauli18c
First Lieutenant
pauli18c's Avatar
United_States
95
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 340i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Ah, I did not know that. Thanks for sharing that info. Is there anything I'll need to do in the MHD OTS map settings to achieve this, or does the software just ignore this code and not throw a CEL?
Just click the catless option when flashing, dont need to do anything else
__________________
2017 340i M Sport Alpine white / Coral
Dorch Stg2, CTS catless, xHP, Custom MHD
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:56 AM   #16
PeterWT
Lieutenant
PeterWT's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli18c View Post
Just click the catless option when flashing, dont need to do anything else
Cool, thanks. No issues with that setting if using a catted (200 cel) downpipe, like the CTS Turbo?
__________________
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, CTS Turbo 200 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #17
pauli18c
First Lieutenant
pauli18c's Avatar
United_States
95
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 340i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Cool, thanks. No issues with that setting if using a catted (200 cel) downpipe, like the CTS Turbo?
I would suggest buying a higher end catted one (like AA, fabspeed, HJS) if that's the route you're going for as there's a reason they're priced higher. They use higher end metals that actually do their job and wont prematurely fail
__________________
2017 340i M Sport Alpine white / Coral
Dorch Stg2, CTS catless, xHP, Custom MHD
Appreciate 2
eluded2450.00
Skyhigh779.50

      09-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #18
PeterWT
Lieutenant
PeterWT's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli18c View Post
I would suggest buying a higher end catted one (like AA, fabspeed, HJS) if that's the route you're going for as there's a reason they're priced higher. They use higher end metals that actually do their job and wont prematurely fail
Thanks for the info. But, too late now because I already bought the CTS DP. So, fingers crossed that it works out OK...
__________________
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, CTS Turbo 200 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #19
PeterWT
Lieutenant
PeterWT's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

So, since my plan is to use the CTS Turbo 200 cell 'sport' cat downpipe with the MHD stage 2, 93 octane map, I emailed MHD.

My questions and their answers are below:
Q: Would that "catless" setting in the flash tune suppress the CEL?
A: that setting will suppress catalytic convertor effectiveness codes
Q: Would the AFR be correctly maintained?
A: AFR will be maintained correctly
Q: Would that setting cause any problems with, or damage to, the 200 cell sport cat in the CTS Turbo downpipe?
A: no it will not, it only affects codes

I hope this helps anyone considering using a 200 cell 'sport' cat and an MHD flash tune.
__________________
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, CTS Turbo 200 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 09:49 PM   #20
orangepeelforest
First Lieutenant
orangepeelforest's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
300
Posts

Drives: '16 340i F30
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dallas TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2016 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
So, since my plan is to use the CTS Turbo 200 cell 'sport' cat downpipe with the MHD stage 2, 93 octane map, I emailed MHD.

My questions and their answers are below:
Q: Would that "catless" setting in the flash tune suppress the CEL?
A: that setting will suppress catalytic convertor effectiveness codes
Q: Would the AFR be correctly maintained?
A: AFR will be maintained correctly
Q: Would that setting cause any problems with, or damage to, the 200 cell sport cat in the CTS Turbo downpipe?
A: no it will not, it only affects codes

I hope this helps anyone considering using a 200 cell 'sport' cat and an MHD flash tune.
I ordered the same downpipe yesterday and it is already showing up tomorrow. Ill be doing Bootmod3 not MHD but thanks for asking these questions.
__________________
'16 340i M-Sport F30 Estoril blue, Oyster
Sold:'07 335i E90 Montego Blue on black leather, Navi, premium, sirius, sport pkg, CA, logic7
Sold: '07 328i E92, SG, Saddle Brown, Gray Poplar, ZSP, CA, Heated Seats, BMW Performance Exhaust, BMW performance SSK, Valentine1, european delivery - Military Sales
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #21
pauli18c
First Lieutenant
pauli18c's Avatar
United_States
95
Rep
328
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW 340i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
So, since my plan is to use the CTS Turbo 200 cell 'sport' cat downpipe with the MHD stage 2, 93 octane map, I emailed MHD.

My questions and their answers are below:
Q: Would that "catless" setting in the flash tune suppress the CEL?
A: that setting will suppress catalytic convertor effectiveness codes
Q: Would the AFR be correctly maintained?
A: AFR will be maintained correctly
Q: Would that setting cause any problems with, or damage to, the 200 cell sport cat in the CTS Turbo downpipe?
A: no it will not, it only affects codes

I hope this helps anyone considering using a 200 cell 'sport' cat and an MHD flash tune.
This has been well documented if you search. Just don't use the burble settings or you run the risk of blowing the entire cat section out
__________________
2017 340i M Sport Alpine white / Coral
Dorch Stg2, CTS catless, xHP, Custom MHD
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #22
PeterWT
Lieutenant
PeterWT's Avatar
United_States
147
Rep
400
Posts

Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Florida, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli18c View Post
This has been well documented if you search. Just don't use the burble settings or you run the risk of blowing the entire cat section out
I searched, but did not find definitive answers. So, I asked MHD and posted the responses because it may be helpful to others.
I plan to leave the burble settings the same as stock. I figured that should be ok. Are you recommending that, or turning off burbles completely?
__________________
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, CTS Turbo 200 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST