F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Upgrade HU_CHAMP2 to HU NBT, everything works except one little thing
Studio RSR

08-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
trdiablo
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30

Upgrade HU_CHAMP2 to HU NBT, everything works except one little thing

Long time lurker here, learned a lot, thought I shared something back.
I bought a BMW F30 2012 that came with the HU_CHAMP2 system. When I initially bought it I thought I can always switch to widescreen later so didnt care it was the 6.5" screen. Later I learned it is impossible as the CHAMP2 system only supports 6.5 screen and not the 8.8" screen. So I decided to switch to HU NBT.

I bought a NBT kit from Ebay for a total of €560 from a guy in UK.
It came with the following:

NBT screen 8.8" (pay attention there is difference with LCI screens, different voltage)
NBT headunit (I specifically looked for one with Hardware ID 08 or less as those have internal gyroscope which is needed for navigation. Newer BMW (2013+ dont need this but if your car is 2012 like mine it is needed)
Touch controller
Video cable from HU to screen
GPS with cable
PNP Emulator harness

The installation if you come from CHAMP2 is plug and play. I took me most time figuring out how to disconnect some connectors from the back (for the AC and the hazard lights). Coming from CHAMP2 you also do NOT need to modify the USB port connector and turn it 180 degrees. Not needed at all.

Steps:
1. Remove dash trim
2. Unscrew 2 torx screws of screen (dont drop it)
3. Remove AC panel
4. Unscrew 4 torx screws of Champ2 unit
5. Take out Champ2 unit and disconnect all cables
6. Remove screen together with the Video cable (cant reuse the cable)

7. Place new screen 8.8 inch and drop the cable below to the area where the NBT unit will come
8. Connect all cables plug and play to the NBT unit
9. reattach everything in reverse order and start it up

I didnt disconnect the battery while doing any of this.

When your first start up NBT it will show all options of the car of the previous owner. Mine came from a F31 and had certain options in the menu that dont exist in my car (like setting the angle of power trunk) etc. What you will also immediately notice is that your audio improved by a factor 10. Everything sounds much better.

All you need to do now is use ESYS to VO code and change 606 to 609 in the SALAPA elements. That will make sure you get all the options of Navi professional system.

After I had done the above I had these new features:
Audio got much better
Widescreen view
I could import music to HDD
Voice control worked
Album Art with music
Play DVDs

In the next days I will code the following:

Play video from USB
Video in motion allowed
Sports display

What is not working:

Navigation first didn't seem to work, it was thinking I was still in Germany somewhere. While thinking about what the issue might be I thought I go get some gas. On the way to gas station it started working! And it now accepts voice commands. So if you have the same, just drive a little and it will update itself with the correct location. I will update it now to 2018 version, trying to find the software.

FM/AM radio not working. This seems to be related to a different way between CIC and NBT to instruct the amplifier to turn on. There are 2 ways to fix this:
1. Replace amplifier and pull a cable from the trunk to your new NBT
2. Connect pin 13 and 15 from the cable harness
I can not find a single video or pictures that show what they mean with connect pin 13 and 15. Can anyone please confirm me how I do that??

Should I strip the cable that goes to pin 13 and then strip the cable that goes to 15 (12v) and then use something to connect these 2 cables? Soldering it?

And some pictures (it looks so much better now) -->
View post on imgur.com

Appreciate 1
      11-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
minimega
Rep
Drives: 320d e91

Hi, congratulations for this great work.
I'm preparing to do the same on my 12/2013 F31, CHAMP2 to NBT.
I would ask you some informations, before I start.

When you say "PNP Emulator harness" what do you mean? The CIC/NBT Emulator? That box wich costs ~150$ and must be registered with your real car VIN?

If the only code you made was change 606->609 I think you're really using the CIC/NBT Emulator, because you never spoked about overwrite new FSC codes that match your real car's VIN..

I would try to walk the road to code NBT VIN with my real car's VIN, wich is a more "clean" way. Obviusly I've to buy new FSC codes that reflects my real VIN, but this costs me half than the CIC/NBT Emulator.

Last, did you resolved the amplifier power on problem? Do you understand how connect pin 13 and 15? And what about FM radio antenna reception? CHAMP2 has a single antenna connector, BNT has two connectors (diversity antenna).. did you used a Y split cable or connected only the FM1?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
trdiablo
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimega View Post

When you say "PNP Emulator harness" what do you mean? The CIC/NBT Emulator? That box wich costs ~150$ and must be registered with your real car VIN?

If the only code you made was change 606->609 I think you're really using the CIC/NBT Emulator, because you never spoked about overwrite new FSC codes that match your real car's VIN..

I would try to walk the road to code NBT VIN with my real car's VIN, wich is a more "clean" way. Obviusly I've to buy new FSC codes that reflects my real VIN, but this costs me half than the CIC/NBT Emulator.

Last, did you resolved the amplifier power on problem? Do you understand how connect pin 13 and 15? And what about FM radio antenna reception? CHAMP2 has a single antenna connector, BNT has two connectors (diversity antenna).. did you used a Y split cable or connected only the FM1?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimega View Post

Thanks
Hi, with PNP emulator I mean this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283237931653.

If you put that between car cables and the NBT unit then you don't need FSC codes for navigation option. This is not the same $10 FSC code to update your navigation, it is different FSC code you need from dealer and it can cost more than $1000 I read on this forum.

But even if you go the route of FSC code keep in mind that you are buying a second hand NBT unit. If it dies in 3 months you will need to buy another one. And guess what, buy again FSC codes. While with the emulator you can keep using it.

As for radio, what you need to do is not cut any cables but only connect the cables from pin 13 and 15 together. From each cut the plastic a little so the wires show. Then use another cable to connect wire 13 with 15. And tape everything back. Your radio will work after that. And if you are not using this PNP emulator harness then you will need to cut your original car wires to do this procedure or no radio signal. It was for me another reason to go for emulator.

I only connected to FM1 without splitter to FM2. Radio works fine that way.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2022, 03:31 PM   #4
5aa7mg
Rep
Drives: bmw

champ raplace

Hello, put more information about this
Appreciate 0