F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Accident
Studio RSR

04-30-2016, 05:43 AM   #23
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
From my understanding, running into the back of someone is 100% the fault of the car behind. No exceptions. Is this not true?
Back in late '80s Early '90s we went in to the back of this woman driving a Merc.

Luckily it was witnessed by the police.

Basically she over reacted and slammed on her brakes.

She stopped about 100 feet from the car in front and we went in to back of her, only doing about 5 miles an hour (standing on brakes) but still hit.

Police charged her with due care, driving likely to cause an accident, oh and verbal something or other against traffic officer.

Lucky eascape for us.

Around here you have to watch out for sudden braking.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:51 AM   #24
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
From my understanding, running into the back of someone is 100% the fault of the car behind. No exceptions. Is this not true?
Unfortunately, this is what I thought too, guess you would need dashcam fitted to have any chance against it ?

Inexperienced drivers / deliberate acts etc. it can be a nightmare sometimes out on road. Few of Teastons vids in the relatively short time he's had car show that.
      04-30-2016, 05:52 AM   #25
Chompers
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport (M) BS /CR

Sadly for OP I don't see his scenario any different to someone's poorly judged pull out on to a roundabout and then stopping because of poor/slow reactions. Seen this so many times. At the end of the day, shit happens. If a problem can be fixed by money, then it is not a problem.

Gone: F31 320d MSport BS /CR, E61 520d MSport Bus Ed, E53 X5 V8 Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 06:29 AM   #26
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

I take full responsibility for not reacting in time. We'd pulled away from the traffic lights and turning right when she noticed the traffic lights facing the left hand traffic were red - naturally, to allow us to pull out. It's a right hand turn where people do go slowly so I just allowed the car to coast in anticipation of her then pulling away when she was straight. She'd only been driving for seven months apparently and panicked when she saw the red light, thinking it was meant for her. At the same time, I stupidly looked down at the speedo or the clock for a split second, can't remember now and by the time of looked up, she was stationary. Ten mph max.

It could've been avoided had I not looked down at that precise moment hence why I take responsibility, my comment about it being her fault is also true, she drove without due care and attention, endangering other road users.

Accidents happen, in no way was she a crash for cash individual, it was just an error of judgement.
      04-30-2016, 07:13 AM   #27
Canary_Yellow
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport + LCI MG

That is very annoying. One of those ones you just have to take on the chin.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #28
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Positive side is you weren't hurt.

I'm with nisfan, barring have police witness dangerous driving, if you reaR end someone its your fault.

Look at it from the other drivers point of view, you could argue the poor girl now has an accident on her record because you weren't looking / paying attention

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d

Last edited by Mattyk; 05-02-2016 at 08:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 05:13 AM   #29
AdmiralGant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i saloon

At least you are ok and no serious injuries or any at all.

Having worked for insurers for 20 plus years and in claims, the only cases we ever succeed in holding the driver in front liable is the fraud cash for crash cases, then it only happens where decent evidence is available to prove it.

I suspect the young lady will claim whiplash, they all do these days even if minor damage as everyone from her car repairer, agent, broker, car hire company will be ramming it down her phone to claim.

Also drive BMW Z4 S Drive 23i Auto, Suzuki Jimny JLX+
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 08:33 AM   #30
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralGant View Post

Having worked for insurers for 20 plus years and in claims, the only cases we ever succeed in holding the driver in front liable is the fraud cash for crash cases, then it only happens where decent evidence is available to prove it.

I suspect the young lady will claim whiplash, they all do these days even if minor damage as everyone from her car repairer, agent, broker, car hire company will be ramming it down her phone to claim.
I get at least two calls a week to claim for my accident. I would but two floors and 100 yards between me and car when it was nudged could just be stretching matters, doesn't stop the calls though.

The best ones are when I am on a long drive, you can waste a good half an hour of people's time then chuckle when they get pissed

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #31
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralGant View Post

I get at least two calls a week to claim for my accident. I would but two floors and 100 yards between me and car when it was nudged could just be stretching matters, doesn't stop the calls though.

The best ones are when I am on a long drive, you can waste a good half an hour of people's time then chuckle when they get pissed
This was my first ever accident and I still get calls at least twice a week 'regarding your recent accident'.....at least now it'll be accurate when they call!
      05-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #32
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

I've too had calls about "your recent accident", despite never having had an accident either.

The best one was when I explained I hadn't had an accident, but my young son had one yesterday in the kitchen as he hadn't made it in time. They got all excited at the prospect, so I upped the game a bit and said he'd had one the previous week as well and everywhere was wet. This just wasn't in their script, two potential accident claims to deal with!

The caller got their supervisor to join in the call and it was just priceless. Tears were rolling down my face and whilst my wife could only hear my side of the story, she was in hysterics too.

After about half an hour, I just had to put the phone down as I was hurting so much from laughing.

They called me back and left a message for me to call them as they thought I had lost signal on my phone and obviously couldn't wait to be able to make two claims. I didn't call back and ignored their calls, but they did keep trying for a few days, probably until somebody listened to the original call and realised I was winding them up.
Appreciate 2
      05-02-2016, 09:49 AM   #33
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
No it's not true.

Whilst you should leave enough room to stop under normal circumstances it is not always practical in the event the car in front emergency stops. If you slam your brakes on for no good reason and cause the driver behind to hit
you it is (at least partially) your fault, hence why I wince when people brag about hitting the brakes when someone is tailgating.

Never ever admit fault, let plod/insurance companies sort it out.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #34
russtic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
No it's not true.

Whilst you should leave enough room to stop under normal circumstances it is not always practical in the event the car in front emergency stops. If you slam your brakes on for no good reason and cause the driver behind to hit
you it is (at least partially) your fault, hence why I wince when people brag about hitting the brakes when someone is tailgating.

Never ever admit fault, let plod/insurance companies sort it out.
Good advice but near as dammit impossible to prove.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #35
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russtic View Post
Good advice but near as dammit impossible to prove.
That's why you let plod/ins sort it out...if it's not cut and dried it will go 50/50 (And dash cams can help a lot)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #36
russtic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
That's why you let plod/ins sort it out...if it's not cut and dried it will go 50/50 (And dash cams can help a lot)
True although insurance companies sometimes take the easy way out going knock for knock when they shouldn't. A HGV took off my wife's front bumper and planned to settle 'knock for knock' until I jumped up and down..

(the HGV admitted fault and we had a witness)...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #37
AdmiralGant
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i saloon

The knock for knock agreement between insurers has pretty much died, I don't think any company operates it now.

I agree though on simple low value claims insurers dont go to much effort to investigate an accident, only on cases where a fair pay out is expected.

The "ringing about your accident" calls are annoying but as mentioned above you can turn them funny, often say I have split coffee on my carpet - can you help.

What still annoys me though is a recent company who called said £2000 is just sat waiting for me, when I pointed out I had no injuries, they said yes we know that, but what it is called is discomfort in like your neck, it is not an injury, after another 5 minutes I said I have not had any discomfort either. The call operator said well the other insurance company does not know that.

"So what you are asking me is to make an fraudulent insurance claim, when I am a member of the chartered insurance institute and work for a major insurer" she then hung up ! Crooks

The sooner the government cuts it all out the better !

Also drive BMW Z4 S Drive 23i Auto, Suzuki Jimny JLX+
Appreciate 4
      05-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #38
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Unless you have Video evidence then YES.
I have the Blackvue running all the time, you just can't trust anyone.