F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > any photographers in San Diego? will pay
Studio RSR

09-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #89
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post
And here are what I believe are my best pics taken on iPhone, again, with crazy heavy editing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
It's all in the lighting. iPhone takes stupid nice pictures in nice lighting. Guess which were shot on my Sony and which were shot on my iPhone.
^^ This.

It's always about the light. Without it you get a black box. Too much and you get a white box. Photography is about finding the correct balance of light to create the image you want.

With the right lighting, even crap cameras create fantastic images. There was a guy i used to follow on a photography forum. He used a $100 point and shoot but had a passion (and understanding) of photography. Everyone commented on how awesome his pictures were. He always got the "what camera and lenses are you using" question. Everyone trips out when he said what he used.
smoosh2211.50
      09-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #90
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

here are some more iPhone 6 images. Most of these were taken while riding a bike. The Yellowstone images were taken while walking because stopping on the board walk wasn't possible due to the crowds. So it's not like i took a lot of time setting these images up either. And only edited in the iPhone.

smoosh2211.50
Aatish3458.00
      09-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #91
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      09-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #92
smoosh
fight me bro
Rep
Drives: slut whisperer

Mr Tonka Aatish shoei jtodd_fl

So the consensus is...do nothing? Lol

I ain't upgrading to an iPhone 7, I just got my 6s+, so that's out of the question...

And, if photography is all about finding the right balance of lighting, if there's bad lighting but great scenery...shit out of luck?

I'm on the fence...really want that Sony A6000...but that's a solid $1K. Really that much worth it over my iPhone 6s+...? Still leaning towards yes. I at least want to have one solid camera that I can whip out occasionally for that jaw-dropping image. Seems worth the money in the long run...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 12:29 AM   #93
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh View Post

I ain't upgrading to an iPhone 7, I just got my 6s+, so that's out of the question...

And, if photography is all about finding the right balance of lighting, if there's bad lighting but great scenery...shit out of luck?

I'm on the fence...really want that Sony A6000...but that's a solid $1K. Really that much worth it over my iPhone 6s+...? Still leaning towards yes. I at least want to have one solid camera that I can whip out occasionally for that jaw-dropping image. Seems worth the money in the long run...
Hi quality cameras have their place. I'm just warning you against unfulfilled expectations. You are correct, the iPhone is limited compared to a DSLR. But working that DSLR isn't intuitive and will take practice.

I do most of my shooting with a 5DIII and L glass. Even if i'm snapping pics of products for sale or a pick of a bike in my living room. But the real advantage is that i can put on an external flash and a diffuser or bounce the flash to make soft light. Or i can slap it on a tripod and go full manual to gather enough light while keeping the camera still.

Low light shooting with the sony would be much better than the iPhone for sure. That's one place the iPhone (and most canon products) can't compete. Though, i've shot shot some stuff at 6400 iso and it's come out very well.

Actually, this is iso 8000

smoosh2211.50
shoei7779.00
Aatish3458.00
      09-08-2016, 12:50 AM   #94
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoosh

No... For the few times you are going to take out the camera, it's not worth the price... Even more obsolete are those point and shoot cameras, again, thanks to our cell phones... The new S7 or iPhone7 or any other contraption nexus / Google or even those Chinese phones put out will be on par with point and shoots...

DSLR is an entirely different beast but you are having to lug in bulk, weight, accessories, etc...

You're pretty active, well, when you are driving cross country at least... You could get a GoPro and call it a day... Portable, takes good photos, records in 4K video...

Iphone7 though, especially the plus... Gonna kill it with the camera...
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 12:58 AM   #95
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
No... For the few times you are going to take out the camera, it's not worth the price... Even more obsolete are those point and shoot cameras, again, thanks to our cell phones... The new S7 or iPhone7 or any other contraption nexus / Google or even those Chinese phones put out will be on par with point and shoots...

DSLR is an entirely different beast but you are having to lug in bulk, weight, accessories, etc...

You're pretty active, well, when you are driving cross country at least... You could get a GoPro and call it a day... Portable, takes good photos, records in 4K video...

I totally agree with you on the point where he shouldn't get a DSLR but I think the A6000 is a good middle ground.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 01:12 AM   #96
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fat
Quote:

I totally agree with you on the point where he shouldn't get a DSLR but I think the A6000 is a good middle ground.
If that's the case, I think he'd be fine waiting for the next big trip or if and when he actually finds a girlfriend to take said vacations with... But by that time the A6000 should be like what, $50? On discount?

To me, this falls under the want category not need... He'll be fine with his 6+ camera for the time being... Or just sell the phone and pay a little bit more for the 7+...
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 01:16 AM   #97
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
If that's the case, I think he'd be fine waiting for the next big trip or if and when he actually finds a girlfriend to take said vacations with... But by that time the A6000 should be like what, $50? On discount?

To me, this falls under the want category not need... He'll be fine with his 6+ camera for the time being... Or just sell the phone and pay a little bit more for the 7+...
Haha yea. He could try searching on Craigslist as well. A lightly used A6000 can go for hundred less than a brand new one.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 03:46 AM   #98
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
smoosh I agree with most of what the others are saying. My only caveat would be if you want to get seriously into it. Like Tonka said, your pictures probably won't get dramatically better because of the gear. For taking good snapshots, maybe stick with the phone. If you decide to get into photography - spending lots of time learning lighting and waiting for shots, then go for it and get a dslr. I think dslrs are now for when photography becomes an official hobby you're going to spend time on. The one major exception would be fast action - sports, driving, etc. For that, you need zero shutter lag and a big sensor with a wide aperture. The 7+ and its ability to do bokeh is a big deal. That is the one thing great about dslrs - depth of field.
Attached Images

09-08-2016, 04:01 AM   #99
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
smoosh I agree with most of what the others are saying. My only caveat would be if you want to get seriously in to it. Like To make said, you're pictures probably won't get dramatically better because of the gear. For taking good snapshots, maybe stick with the phone. If you want to decide to get into photography - spending lots of time learning lighting and waiting for shots, then go for it and get a dslr. I think dslrs are now for when photography becomes an official hobby you're going to spend time on. The one major exception would be fast action - sports, driving, etc. for that, you need no shutter lag and a big sensor with a wide aperture. The 7+ and its ability to do bokeh is a big deal. That is the one thing great about dslrs - depth of field.
Man the grammar police ran out of tickets to issue you on that last post... I can't even...

Nice pics however... Cute kids... Nice looking rodent as well...
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 04:08 AM   #100
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei
Man the grammar police ran out of tickets to issue you on that last post... I can't even...

Haha. I'm old and just woke up. I'll have to go and look
Thanks. Believe it or not, many of those were shot on a 2.7 Megapixel camera that is now about 10 years old. Then, some were shot on a D200. I laugh when people play the Megapixel game.
      09-08-2016, 04:53 AM   #101
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
smoosh I agree with most of what the others are saying. My only caveat would be if you want to get seriously into it. Like Tonka said, your pictures probably won't get dramatically better because of the gear. For taking good snapshots, maybe stick with the phone. If you decide to get into photography - spending lots of time learning lighting and waiting for shots, then go for it and get a dslr. I think dslrs are now for when photography becomes an official hobby you're going to spend time on. The one major exception would be fast action - sports, driving, etc. For that, you need zero shutter lag and a big sensor with a wide aperture. The 7+ and its ability to do bokeh is a big deal. That is the one thing great about dslrs - depth of field.
Yep, if you want to get creative with your portrait shots, depth of field is a game changer.
Appreciate 2
jtodd_fl6703.50
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #102
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei

Oh... Here are a couple more of the rodents. I wanted to have disdain for them... but I couldn't. Damn things.
Attached Images

shoei7779.00
      09-08-2016, 06:17 AM   #103
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider
Yep, if you want to get creative with your portrait shots, depth of field is a game changer.
Did some one say dof? Here are some M4 logo dof demos.
Attached Images

09-08-2016, 06:19 AM   #104
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Attach fail
Attached Images

09-08-2016, 07:14 AM   #105
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Quote:

iPhone upgrade ain't worth it in your case.

A proper dedicated camera will always out perform any phone, no matter what people say.

Larger sensor = more detail = better picture

That said, a camera is only as good as the person using it.

A6000 is a nice piece of kit, but it maybe over kill. I'd suggest the a5100 + a nice lens (a prime, like a 35mm or 50mm).
I4 M50 (coming soon)
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 08:48 AM   #106
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I'd do it if you were in FL. #nohomo
I would too. #slighthomo
Appreciate 2
Mr Tonka6058.00
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #107
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Lol.

1 & 2 were iPhone

3 & 4 were Sony
I could tell, but not in a bad way.
Appreciate 1
smoosh2211.50
      09-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #108
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish
Quote:

A proper dedicated camera will always out perform any phone, no matter what people say.

A6000 is a nice piece of kit, but it maybe over kill. I'd suggest the a5100 + a nice lens (a prime, like a 35mm or 50mm).
Don't think people are saying a cell phone is going to outperform a digital camera... Think it's more that he's thinking of dropping a grand+ on a camera that he will probably use half a dozen times...

Besides, have you seen the stats on a 7+ ? I'm not sure the average joe would maximize the capabilities of that...
Appreciate 2
smoosh2211.50
Aatish3458.00
      09-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #109
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Yup, I have a DSLR that I don't even bring travelling anymore because it's just too heavy, takes up space and I worry about theft. I don't think you need it yet, if money is an issue right now.
Appreciate 2
shoei7779.00
jtodd_fl6703.50
      09-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #110
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

I suppose a 35-50mm with a large aperture would be an good all around lens, for portraits I'd use an 80-100 fixed focal length with a wide aperture. I have an 80mm 1.8 that can produce a narrow focal plane (DOF) which is great for stationary portraits, it also has a beautiful bokeh (quality of the blurred area of the photo).
Appreciate 1
Aatish3458.00