F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Coded Angel Eye Brightness
GetBMWParts

10-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #23
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Is there a way to code to brighten LED headlights? Mine are too dim, would like it to be euro spec.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #24
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog View Post
I believe it's to do with the type of bulbs used and I think it's something to do with stopping LEDs throwing up an error code

Hot monitoring is load testing while the bulb is active, cold testing is done periodically and during startup.
Ta for clearing that up.
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      10-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #25
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Is there a way to code to brighten LED headlights? Mine are too dim, would like it to be euro spec.
Yes I think there is as I saw a YouTube video today by a guy called Nick Murray testing an M5 and he also mentioned that in the US they were dim but could be coded back to Euro spec.

No idea how to do it but someone in the US forum must surely know
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #26
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryo91 View Post
Ah interesting, I didn't think they could be made brighter when used alone. Definitely, I would love pics man thank you!

How much were you charged for the coding?
I bought the Bimmertech app and OBD connector and did it all myself, coded everything for a total of £42

Even has expert mode so you can code even more so long as you can understand what you are doing

Check it out it's totally fool proof
Did you have to download the obd reader app for £9.99 as well or just the bimmercode app? I stupidly bought the android obd reader so just ordered the iOS which will come tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #27
SportySpice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Anyone have luck getting pics of the brighter angel eyes with low beams? Would love to see it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #28
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
Was this a bimmer code jobby? In the FEM unit list? Ta
Easily do able via Bimmercode. Easy way to find out/ discover more is to download the app for free and have a play in demo mode. It works in a theoretical car and gives an idea of what’s where and what is possible.
Don’t need an OBD reader

Fem unit

Lighting

Angel eye brightness

Ps
Looks like it is 12% as standard.
      10-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #29
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Did you have to download the obd reader app for £9.99 as well or just the bimmercode app? I stupidly bought the android obd reader so just ordered the iOS which will come tomorrow.
The OBD adaptor is £18 and the app is £25

That's everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #30
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportySpice View Post
Anyone have luck getting pics of the brighter angel eyes with low beams? Would love to see it.
I think reading elsewhere that cars from the US have dimmer Angel eyes as standard as its a rule in the US

In the UK they are full brightness as standard

You should be able to code from US to Euro standard
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #31
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The OBD adaptor is £18 and the app is £25

That's everything.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #32
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

So iv just coded the car to my needs and I must say what an easy process it is. I know people will say you can do it for free if you've got the right software etc but I looked at one of the how to guides and it scared me to death thinking I would brick my car. I used the bimmercode app and the vgate 2 obd reader which was £17 from amazon and £25 for the app. Many thanks to JLR1969 for bringing it to our attention and his recommendation too. Just a side note if you have car play, you need to turn it off on the idrive otherwise it will not connect at all. Also I was searching in Bluetooth but it turns out it's connected via wifi and so does CarPlay interestingly, that's why you need to turn it off as it's the dominant signal.
Appreciate 1
JLR19691882.00
      10-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #33
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So iv just coded the car to my needs and I must say what an easy process it is. I know people will say you can do it for free if you've got the right software etc but I looked at one of the how to guides and it scared me to death thinking I would brick my car. I used the bimmercode app and the vgate 2 obd reader which was £17 from amazon and £25 for the app. Many thanks to JLR1969 for bringing it to our attention and his recommendation too. Just a side note if you have car play, you need to turn it off on the idrive otherwise it will not connect at all. Also I was searching in Bluetooth but it turns out it's connected via wifi and so does CarPlay interestingly, that's why you need to turn it off as it's the dominant signal.
Also a photo of 50% brightness of the angel eyes. Best I could get from iPhone unfortunately.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
JLR19691882.00
      10-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #34
new_owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G87 M2

Can someone confirm which adaptor they brought from Amazon? Did it also work with the BimmerCode app on iOS?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #35
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbharmal View Post
Can someone confirm which adaptor they brought from Amazon? Did it also work with the BimmerCode app on iOS?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works with iOS
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #36
Maxwell_RS
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M Sport

Can you code enhanced bluetooth with that bimmercode app and vgate adapter??
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:59 PM   #37
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell_RS View Post
Can you code enhanced bluetooth with that bimmercode app and vgate adapter??
It varies by car so can't say.

Have a look on the app in demo mode, you only have to buy the adaptor to then see what's possible
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:20 AM   #38
jang150
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 320d m sport

Back to the ops observations I also coded using bimmercode. If you adjust the drl brightness when lights are on it does max up the brightness of the DRLs also when in drl mode. I changed setting to 70% with lights on and when lights were off they were very bright. Restored details and drl lights were dimmer. So now set drl to 80% and lights to 70% when on. It's still brighter than default. Maybe default drl are 70% rather than the 100% stated?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #39
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jang150 View Post
Back to the ops observations I also coded using bimmercode. If you adjust the drl brightness when lights are on it does max up the brightness of the DRLs also when in drl mode. I changed setting to 70% with lights on and when lights were off they were very bright. Restored details and drl lights were dimmer. So now set drl to 80% and lights to 70% when on. It's still brighter than default. Maybe default drl are 70% rather than the 100% stated?
You have more options as on my F10 I have 8% 16% or 100% only

I have it all on 100%
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #40
jang150
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 320d m sport

Are you using the bimmercode app? It has a number of presets for the f30. Surprised it limits it for the F10.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:45 AM   #41
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jang150 View Post
Are you using the bimmercode app? It has a number of presets for the f30. Surprised it limits it for the F10.
Yes only three % options but a lot of voltage options which I am keeping away from
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 06:47 AM   #42
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

I can't understand why one would want to code the halo angel eye DRL to be brighter when the headlights are on.
The LED angel eye DRL are bright, but unfocused and cast a light visible free a wide angle, which is fine in daylight, but the purpose of dimming the DRL when the headlights are on is to reduce the glare given off by the very bright, unfocused DRL. The headlights are much brighter and shielded to mini the glare issue to oncoming cars and bye increasing the DRL brightness when headlights are on for vanity reasons, first of all doesn't increase your headlight throw (as the DRL light is diffuse and not focused) and significantly adds to glare to oncoming cars.

I'd refer to the
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...running-lights which says

"DRL are necessarily bright to ensure they are visible in the daytime but not so bright that they will dazzle others. However they are too bright for night time use and are not intended to illuminate the road in the dark. If used at night they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others and so drivers should always switch to their position lamps or headlamps at night."

And

"DRL may be combined with other lamps. For example some manufacturers use the same lamp for both the DRL and position lamp. In these cases the DRL automatically dims to function as a lower intensity position lamp when the headlamps are turned on. DRL placed close to direction indicators may also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL."

So there are clearly legal ramifications if you alter the brightness characteristics of your DRL and are involved in an accident
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #43
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
I can't understand why one would want to code the halo angel eye DRL to be brighter when the headlights are on.
The LED angel eye DRL are bright, but unfocused and cast a light visible free a wide angle, which is fine in daylight, but the purpose of dimming the DRL when the headlights are on is to reduce the glare given off by the very bright, unfocused DRL. The headlights are much brighter and shielded to mini the glare issue to oncoming cars and bye increasing the DRL brightness when headlights are on for vanity reasons, first of all doesn't increase your headlight throw (as the DRL light is diffuse and not focused) and significantly adds to glare to oncoming cars.

I'd refer to the

"DRL are necessarily bright to ensure they are visible in the daytime but not so bright that they will dazzle others. However they are too bright for night time use and are not intended to illuminate the road in the dark. If used at night they will cause dazzle and discomfort to others and so drivers should always switch to their position lamps or headlamps at night."

And

"DRL may be combined with other lamps. For example some manufacturers use the same lamp for both the DRL and position lamp. In these cases the DRL automatically dims to function as a lower intensity position lamp when the headlamps are turned on. DRL placed close to direction indicators may also automatically dim when the direction indicator is active. This is to ensure that the direction indicator is not masked by the light from the DRL."

So there are clearly legal ramifications if you alter the brightness characteristics of your DRL and are involved in an accident
Party pooper.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 07:18 AM   #44
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post

I'd refer to the

And

At night the road ahead is brighter but at close range, my only concern with this is potentially dazzling other road users, other than that no problems.
Appreciate 0