F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Canon 30MP FF Mirrorless
Vorsteiner
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-03-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
1995
Rep
6,486
Posts

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Canon 30MP FF Mirrorless

Now this beast could get me to invest in a mirrorless rig. I'm really looking forward to some real world tests and reviews of this one.

https://www.cpricewatch.com/blog/201...nced-sept-5th/
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Lieutenant Colonel
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
501
Rep
1,555
Posts

Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

I wonder why the change to the mount? I'm sure it has to do w/ how things fit and do or don't have room. But w/ mirrorless you'd think there would be plenty of room to configure things however would be needed.

Needing to use an adapter, while workable, kinda kills the whole idea of getting a Canon body because you already have Canon lenses. At that point the Sony and etc. all become stronger competitors.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #3
PshhhhhMW
Captain
PshhhhhMW's Avatar
278
Rep
887
Posts

Drives: 2018 Alpine White M3
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFV, CA

iTrader: (0)

Did it say a price point in the article? If this baby is between 1K-1500 I'm on it. I've got a 5DM4 but sometimes you just dont wanna carry a full sized dslr.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #4
Terry989
Private First Class
179
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: 2009 128i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Rumored price is ~US$2,000 so it can compete with the Sony A7III.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
P1et
Major General
P1et's Avatar
United_States
4003
Rep
8,285
Posts

Drives: my wife's cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

Time to sell the 5D Mark III in advance of jumping on the mirror-less bandwagon?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Terry989
Private First Class
179
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: 2009 128i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Jose, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Pricing looks like:
  • Camera - $2,300
  • Camera + 24-105mm f/4 - $3,400
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
P1et
Major General
P1et's Avatar
United_States
4003
Rep
8,285
Posts

Drives: my wife's cars
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

I'm looking forward to some real world reviews. I have the 5D Mark III and although an older camera, it still takes amazing photos.
Appreciate 3
M_Six1995.00
allachie9877.00
Arsonism126.00

      09-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
1995
Rep
6,486
Posts

Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I'm looking forward to some real world reviews. I have the 5D Mark III and although an older camera, it still takes amazing photos.
This.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #9
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
allachie9's Avatar
Scotland
877
Rep
1,146
Posts

Drives: like Miss Daisy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North East Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
This.
Exactly this ^^
__________________
Alan
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #10
Weebl
Weebl wobbles but eats Pie
55
Rep
1,771
Posts

Drives: 2012 X5 d,2008 335i, 2000 740i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

I have a excellent camera and fantastic lenses yet I still can't get really nice images.
Money can't buy everything.

At least they made the adapter to use the EOS lenses with the R body. I just don't see the justification yet to go mirrorless.
__________________
Kevin Goto
2000 740i-Annalisa and 2008 335i-Weebl. Weebl may wobble but has DTC 2012 X5d in Sparkling Bronze ( The Ultimate Cat Carrying Machine):2017 A3 2021 Audi RS3
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
Daftasabrush
Fool
Daftasabrush's Avatar
England
1665
Rep
3,401
Posts

Drives: F31 340i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Going to an event hosted by Canon event this weekend to try one of these out in some 'live' scenarios, should be interesting.
__________________
Appreciate 1
P1et4003.00

      09-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #12
tcphoto
Captain
304
Rep
689
Posts

Drives: E92 335i MT Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Madison, GA

iTrader: (0)

I can’t see selling my kit for lighter bodies and same weight lenses. I just sold my 1Dx and will replace it with a 5D Mark IV. If I’m happy with it, I’ll sell the 1Ds Mark III and buy another. I love my 24LII, 50L, 85L1.4, 100LIS and 200/2.8 so I don’t want to start over, especially when the best lenses aren’t coming out till ‘19.
__________________
Appreciate 1
P1et4003.00

      09-11-2018, 04:13 AM   #13
Railgun
Colonel
Railgun's Avatar
United Kingdom
365
Rep
2,755
Posts

Drives: FD, CBR600RR, F82
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago --> SE3 --> ME14

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2016 SMB M4  [0.00]
1993 Mazda RX-7  [0.00]
2007 Honda CBR600RR  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I wonder why the change to the mount? I'm sure it has to do w/ how things fit and do or don't have room. But w/ mirrorless you'd think there would be plenty of room to configure things however would be needed.

Needing to use an adapter, while workable, kinda kills the whole idea of getting a Canon body because you already have Canon lenses. At that point the Sony and etc. all become stronger competitors.

Because it's a much larger aperture. The focal point from lens to sensor is much shorter as well just because of the design. Same with the Nikon Zx series. You'll see greater than f/1 lenses partly because of it, like...


https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr...or-z-noct.page


Nikon is doing the same thing. And certainly a better solution than Canon shooting themselves in the foot again by changing the mount and NOT allowing the use of older lenses.

I'm a Nikon user, and 3k+ for the body...that's a chunk.

Last edited by Railgun; 09-11-2018 at 04:18 AM.
Appreciate 1
bosstones258.50

      09-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #14
tracer bullet
Lieutenant Colonel
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
501
Rep
1,555
Posts

Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
Because it's a much larger aperture ... You'll see greater than f/1 lenses partly because of it
Nice, thanks I looked around a little but didn't see this. That is pretty cool especially w/ how high the ISO's can get without being too noisy.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #15
dcstep
Major General
United_States
870
Rep
7,189
Posts

Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I wonder why the change to the mount? I'm sure it has to do w/ how things fit and do or don't have room. But w/ mirrorless you'd think there would be plenty of room to configure things however would be needed.

Needing to use an adapter, while workable, kinda kills the whole idea of getting a Canon body because you already have Canon lenses. At that point the Sony and etc. all become stronger competitors.
The problem is that the back element sits closer to the sensor, relative to the flange. They don't want anyone accidentally putting an EF lens on the mirrorless. Also, the physics allow for a slightly smaller lens size and weight. To take full advantage of that, you need new lenses.

I'll be curious to see how this AF system works, with 5000 AF points!!! The Sony a9 has "only" 693 AF points. That seemed like "enough" to me, but we'll see how this new Canon system doesn.

In Canon's marketing material, they're claiming that this is the first mirrorless camera to AF at f/11. That's not true. My a9 and a7RIII both AF at f/11. This is a big deal when you want to put an f/5.6 lens on and then add a 2.0x teleconverter. I do that often.

It's good see Canon finally seriously entering the fray. I'm with Sony now, but competition will keep Sony moving forward, faster than they might otherwise.

Dave
__________________
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST