F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Buy wheels online myself or go through shop?
GetBMWParts

04-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #1
grancouper428
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe

Buy wheels online myself or go through shop?

Hey everyone, I found a set of Forgestar F14 19" wheels for about $1,700 online on a discount website. Then I called my local auto body shop to ask them if they would quote me a price on the wheels + tires + install. The quote is showing the rims to be $2,620. I asked why is there such a price difference and the shop said they order the wheels customized for my vehicle and they don't get the wheels from discount sites online. We are talking about over $1,000 here so I wanted some guidance....

Should I buy my wheels at a discount online or go through my body shop and trust what they are telling me?

Thank you

I have a 2015 428i Gran Coupe.

Last edited by grancouper428; 04-10-2018 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: adding details for my car
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 335i M Sport AW

Just reach out to a vendor on here that sells Forgestar wheels. Pretty sure I was quoted less than $1700 for delivery when I bought mine years ago. Tires and installation will have to be calculated separately. Your shop is full of shit... They want an to double their profits and they're looking at you like a sucker.

Also, every set of F14s is made to order... For your car and by your specs and choices.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
grancouper428
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0Chill 335i View Post
Just reach out to a vendor on here that sells Forgestar wheels. Pretty sure I was quoted less than $1700 for delivery when I bought mine years ago. Tires and installation will have to be calculated separately. Your shop is full of shit... They want an to double their profits and they're looking at you like a sucker.

Also, every set of F14s is made to order... For your car and by your specs and choices.
Right on
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by grancouper428 View Post
Hey everyone, I found a set of Forgestar F14 19" wheels for about $1,700 online on a discount website. Then I called my local auto body shop to ask them if they would quote me a price on the wheels + tires + install. The quote is showing the rims to be $2,620. I asked why is there such a price difference and the shop said they order the wheels customized for my vehicle and they don't get the wheels from discount sites online. We are talking about over $1,000 here so I wanted some guidance....

Should I buy my wheels at a discount online or go through my body shop and trust what they are telling me?

Thank you

I have a 2015 428i Gran Coupe.

the shop is trying to bone you, run as fast as you can....just curious, why did you try an auto body shop anyways? Why not call discount tire or what ever local tire shop?

Discount tire could probably price match most deals online.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
grancouper428
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
the shop is trying to bone you, run as fast as you can....just curious, why did you try an auto body shop anyways? Why not call discount tire or what ever local tire shop?

Discount tire could probably price match most deals online.
I wanted to try the shop because I've always gone through Discount Tire so I thought I'd try something new....since this place tried to hose me I'll probably just go back to Discount Tire and let them get it done.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
When I got my wheels for my last car I found prices online for every thing. Some guys I knew told me to go to this shop cause he "hooks you up" When I went it seemed like he got everything online just the same but would tack a middle man fee on it. So I just ordered everything myself and took it to a closer shop for mount and balance.

I thought being a shop they would have a cheaper way to ship or something. Of course it could be different for other shops out there but I found if you just take your time and look around online you can find most things yourself at a good price.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #7
grancouper428
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpe View Post
When I got my wheels for my last car I found prices online for every thing. Some guys I knew told me to go to this shop cause he "hooks you up" When I went it seemed like he got everything online just the same but would tack a middle man fee on it. So I just ordered everything myself and took it to a closer shop for mount and balance.

I thought being a shop they would have a cheaper way to ship or something. Of course it could be different for other shops out there but I found if you just take your time and look around online you can find most things yourself at a good price.
That's basically what happened to me. Someone I know told me these guys "do good work" so I thought I'd check them out.....more like they try to work you over.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 12:19 AM   #8
Sales@wheelsdc.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Invoice sent
Appreciate 0