F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > To those who have suffered from squealing brakes . . .
ARMA SPEED

12-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #67
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOTION View Post
Would love to know what post-dealer methods you guys are following. I find that after a car wash and hard braking, it goes away temporarily but slowly comes back with a vengeance.
nothing really. just need to put miles on the car. like over 1200...
      12-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #68
scrapper
Rep
Drives: chevy avalanche

my 2013 335, xdrive, m sport package..

now 7000kms (2 months)... broke the breaks in as should... and they have squealed the entire time..

NOW... they sound like a grinding like something is caught in there.... thought maybe some salt got in from the hwy.. not sure... but after 8-10 "stops".. the grinding goes away...but then anytime i start up the car again, same deal.. weird... Def. coming from the front brakes..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #69
Jer025
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Just picked up my 2013 335 M Sport on Saturday, the car had about 100 miles on it when I took delivery (was not expecting dealer to get me out of my e92 335 lease early). Anyway, after some light driving I'm experiencing the same brake squeal as others have reported. My car sounds like a city bus when I pull up to a traffic light.

I'm pretty tight with my SA so I will provide any feedback I can.

Last edited by Jer025; 12-13-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #70
Shep1
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i msport;135i m convertible

My brake squeal seams to have settled down. I noticed the improvement at about 3,500 kilometres on the car. I now get it only sometimes when in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #71
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

Car is now at 4,103 kms and break squeal has surprisingly settled down. Only a slight short faint squeal right before coming to a stop.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #72
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

for those with Msport-- do your calipers have vibration dampeners attached to them?
i dont remember seeing them in the ETK, but perhaps they've started adding them? my car is a late november production
Past: 2019 G01 M40i ZDA/2VF/ZPP/ZPX/688/3AC
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:11 PM   #73
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
for those with Msport-- do your calipers have vibration dampeners attached to them?
i dont remember seeing them in the ETK, but perhaps they've started adding them? my car is a late november production
Early November build. Yes, I see the same blocks you identified in your pic. Vibration dampers or whatever they are.

I have about 180 miles and squeal has been minimal thus far. A bit here and there, but not an issue (yet).

The brake dust is a totally different story. Holy moly, those wheels need a scrubbing already! I feel like I have my E36 M3 back. Good thing I got the 403M wheels. At least the grey inserts tend to hide the dust so they only look filthy when up close. I can only imagine what the 400M silver wheels looks like after a couple hundred miles of no cleanings.

Can anyone recommend a good wheel brush? I've got a wheel clean kit I got from the dealer a few years ago. Works alright, but wondering is there's something better/more modern and helpful. And cleaning solution? Always been told to only use car wash soap unless I need more help in which case I've used P21s. Advice?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #74
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Early November build. Yes, I see the same blocks you identified in your pic. Vibration dampers or whatever they are.

I have about 180 miles and squeal has been minimal thus far. A bit here and there, but not an issue (yet).

The brake dust is a totally different story. Holy moly, those wheels need a scrubbing already! I feel like I have my E36 M3 back. Good thing I got the 403M wheels. At least the grey inserts tend to hide the dust so they only look filthy when up close. I can only imagine what the 400M silver wheels looks like after a couple hundred miles of no cleanings.
my wheels were turning gunmetal after 40 miles!!

thankfully my winter rims are black
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 10:01 AM   #75
J-boogey
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi Msport

i'm having the same issue, M-sport xdrive, 700 miles on the car, rear brakes squeaking like crazy when im come to a stop sign or traffic light.
2013 F30 335i xdrive | Estoril Blue | Black Dakota Leather | Aluminum Hexagon trim | M-Sport | Cold weather | DHP | Premium package | Tech package | Harmon Kardon | PDC | Rearview Cam | IND Painted reflectors | BMW performance grills | JB4 stage 2 | ER downpipe | BMS Intake | H&R sport springs
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #76
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Can anyone recommend a good wheel brush? I've got a wheel clean kit I got from the dealer a few years ago. Works alright, but wondering is there's something better/more modern and helpful. And cleaning solution? Always been told to only use car wash soap unless I need more help in which case I've used P21s. Advice?
i used to use p21s. use sonax full effect wheel cleaner now. coupled with meguiars brake dust barrier, dust adhesion is minima,
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #77
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i used to use p21s. use sonax full effect wheel cleaner now. coupled with meguiars brake dust barrier, dust adhesion is minima,
Thx for the tip. Will check out these products.

I once tried the Michelin brake dust repellent on my wife's car but didn't notice it helping much (if at all). I think it lasted maybe 1 week. A friend in the body/paint business told me to try "wheel Wax". He told me its a minor "project" to apply and remove (from all the crevices) but its good for 6 months and does a pretty good job. He notices a lot of his brake dust wash off with water when wheel wax is on his rims. He has an older Benz and those dust like crazy too.

I may throw darts at this until I find something that works. I am NOT looking forward to cleaning these wheels weekly. My SA told me the MSport brakes tend to dust a "bit less" after 1K miles. He said not a huge difference, but noticeable.

If all else fails I may need to find a trusty car wash guy as my patience will wear thin over time. Or I may consider paying dealer to switch my pads to the low dust pads used in the Sportsline. They should fit as it seems the calipers/rotors are same. I doubt the braking performance difference is that significant to warrant putting up with these puking brake pads!

Anyone know if the M Performance brakes dust like the USA MSport Euro pads?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #78
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

I find using paint polish or waxing the wheels helps a lot with cleaning. Get the wheels nice and clean, then apply a couple of coats of Liquid Glass. It's a "paint sealer/polish" that lasts a good bit longer than wax.
It provides a decent barrier to the brake dust. The dust comes off easier after the polish, and it doesn't creep into the wheel surface as easily due to the barrier. You have to reapply it at least twice per year, spring and fall.
Wax works too though it's not as effective and you'll need to reapply it more often.

As you know or Msport brakes use a more 'aggressive' pad, which means a deal MORE brake dust. It only takes a couple of days after washing until I can see the dust again. Yeah, it sucks, but at least it's easier to clean off using the polish. Plus, you can use Liquid Glass on your windshield as it's VERY effective at making water roll right off the glass. I rarely use my windshield wipers as long as I'm going above 40mph, water just rolls off.
You can get it at Autozone and it lasts a good long while.
I also use it on my cars paint every spring after a good cleaning and claying, then a couple of coats of Liquid Glass. If you want that wet luster, wax after the polish has had a couple of days to set. Looks fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #79
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I find using paint polish or waxing the wheels helps a lot with cleaning. Get the wheels nice and clean, then apply a couple of coats of Liquid Glass. It's a "paint sealer/polish" that lasts a good bit longer than wax.
It provides a decent barrier to the brake dust. The dust comes off easier after the polish, and it doesn't creep into the wheel surface as easily due to the barrier. You have to reapply it at least twice per year, spring and fall.
Wax works too though it's not as effective and you'll need to reapply it more often.

As you know or Msport brakes use a more 'aggressive' pad, which means a deal MORE brake dust. It only takes a couple of days after washing until I can see the dust again. Yeah, it sucks, but at least it's easier to clean off using the polish. Plus, you can use Liquid Glass on your windshield as it's VERY effective at making water roll right off the glass. I rarely use my windshield wipers as long as I'm going above 40mph, water just rolls off.
You can get it at Autozone and it lasts a good long while.
I also use it on my cars paint every spring after a good cleaning and claying, then a couple of coats of Liquid Glass. If you want that wet luster, wax after the polish has had a couple of days to set. Looks fantastic.
Thx. I used Liquid Glass years ago and wasn't impressed (on body). Been using Meguiars #9 followed by P21 carnuba wax for the last years and much more satisfied. Also sometimes use Collinite's Insulator Wax for a quick wax job (that's awesome) or Marque De Elegance. Oh boy...

I think I'm gonna try "wheel wax" along with the Sonax cleaner (as needed). Reviews seems to be quite good for both.

Wish BMW managed to engineer some pads that didn't dust like a desert sand storm!

Do you have 400M or 403M on your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #80
Orient330iNYC
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thx. I used Liquid Glass years ago and wasn't impressed (on body). Been using Meguiars #9 followed by P21 carnuba wax for the last years and much more satisfied. Also sometimes use Collinite's Insulator Wax for a quick wax job (that's awesome) or Marque De Elegance. Oh boy...

I think I'm gonna try "wheel wax" along with the Sonax cleaner (as needed). Reviews seems to be quite good for both.

Wish BMW managed to engineer some pads that didn't dust like a desert sand storm!

highly recommend the meguiars brake dust barrier-- it works better than the armorall wheel protectant, with the added bonus of very short drying time. ive tried wheel wax and rejex in the past, the armorall (shudder) and the meguiars blow it away.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #81
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
highly recommend the meguiars brake dust barrier-- it works better than the armorall wheel protectant, with the added bonus of very short drying time. ive tried wheel wax and rejex in the past, the armorall (shudder) and the meguiars blow it away.
I ordered the Meguiars dust barrier, sonax cleaner and wheel wax today along with a couple new wheel brushes and a long handled toothbrush style wheel brush to get in that darn crevice on the 403M. $70 in the hole.

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #82
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:

335i Msport 18's.

What didn't you like about the Liquid Glass?
You're the first person I've encountered who's tried it and didn't like it.
It's all good as we all have different expectations from polish and waxing products, just look at the insane number of choices.

But that's for the body. As for the wheels and windows it's fantastic.
I'll have to try some of the new wheel specific "wax", but I much prefer synthetics for that type of job. Natural waxes like carnauba don't last very long, especially on wheels with high heat from braking.
Appreciate 0