F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Rough idle, lightly modified N20. Help please!
GetBMWParts

03-17-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
Utvolman99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Rough idle, lightly modified N20. Help please!

So, was just fired from my job and have to give back my company car. Same day, my 2015 328xi decided to take a crap! It’s lightly modified with an intake and a JB4 that was running on map 1.

Anyway, this is what’s going on. Car has rough idle and sometimes dies when stopped. There is no engine light but the car is really running rough.

- noticed black soot coming out the exhaust. I let it idle for a while and could see it spattered on the back wall of the garage.

- I pulled the plugs, to see what I could see and plug 3 (counting from the front of the engine) was solid black. The others were all light brown and clean.

- I changed the plugs with no improvement. Pulled plug 3 and it was black, smelled strongly of gas after a five min drive.

- I cleaned the plug with a steel brush and Installed a new coil pack on #3 with no improvement.

Not sure where to look next?
      03-17-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
Jonwho2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

I have a f32 428i. I was an idiot and decided to buy cheap eBay charpipe/intercooler. The fitmint was shit and I had boost leaks and even blew a hose of a clamp. Anyway the car did exactly what your talking about. Rough idle, would stall coming to a stop etc. check all the pipes coming from and going to your intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 10:11 PM   #3
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 N20

Does it run fine under moderate load, and only sputter at idle?

Get a leakdown test. Not a compression test. I rebuilt a motor on the cheap and still had 30% leakdown in two cylinders but the compression test was "fine." Mine splatters oil out the tailpipe too and consumes oil rapidly.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 06:45 AM   #4
dfwF30bmw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i 6MT Track Handling

You said you had a company car for awhile, could it be just that your car sat a long time and the gas has gone bad?
MODS: BM3 Stage 2/93 Octane OTS, Active Autowerke BMW F Chassis Intercooler, VSRF Catless Down Pipe, GFB DV+, Injen Evolution Intake, Red Line MTL for Transmission, NGK SILZKBR8D8S gapped at .24", Dinan Shockware, Cooper ZEON RS3-G1's and Hawk HPS 5.0 Brake Pads all the way around.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 05:51 AM   #5
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Return to stock - good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:28 AM   #6
lolbrother
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

I had the exact same problem on my 328i. You're a bit more lucky since you have 6 cylinders and the cycles overlap, but on a 4 cylinder it was so bad it was like driving manual for the first time, stalling at every stop. I changed the spark plugs, changed the coil pack, and finally changed the fuel injector. The fuel injector was the root of my problems. To change it you obviously need to buy a new one (mine was around $130 CA) and use a obd computer to change your fuel injector values in the car. It was a quick 45 minute job for me, but for my N20 I needed to buy a special tool to pull the injector. I would recommend doing some research as to what you need for your job. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 10:34 AM   #7
lolbrother
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolbrother View Post
I had the exact same problem on my 328i. You're a bit more lucky since you have 6 cylinders and the cycles overlap, but on a 4 cylinder it was so bad it was like driving manual for the first time, stalling at every stop. I changed the spark plugs, changed the coil pack, and finally changed the fuel injector. The fuel injector was the root of my problems. To change it you obviously need to buy a new one (mine was around $130 CA) and use a obd computer to change your fuel injector values in the car. It was a quick 45 minute job for me, but for my N20 I needed to buy a special tool to pull the injector. I would recommend doing some research as to what you need for your job. Good luck!
Ok I looked into your post more and you have the exact same engine as I do. here is the video I used for reference;

and here is a link to the fuel injector puller for taking the bad injector out; https://www.amazon.ca/BELEY-Injector...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Something about the N20 fuel injectors makes them go bad over time I guess, as the exact problem you had I had for my second cylinder.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #8
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Agree..fuel injector R&R...
      04-01-2021, 03:34 AM   #9
manghong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

I have very similar problems like yours after replacing
- New OEM Spark Plug
- New OEM Coils
- New OEM Engine Valve Cover
- FTP charge pipe (some of my friend have rough idle when coming to a stop but didn't stall)

Symptoms:
- Sometimes the engine stall right after you start the engine(Happen both cold/warm starts), engine usually starts fine at the 2nd time
- Sometimes stall when coming to a stop (most annoying issue)

Not sure where to start to fix this issues, anyone have a hint?Thanks!
      04-01-2021, 08:09 AM   #10
GreenF30N26
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by manghong View Post
- New OEM Spark Plug
- New OEM Coils
- FTP charge pipe (some of my friend have rough idle when coming to a stop but didn't stall)

Symptoms:
- Sometimes the engine stall right after you start the engine(Happen both cold/warm starts), engine usually starts fine at the 2nd time

Check for leaks from your charge pipe to intercooler and throttle body. Make sure you transferred the rubber seals on both ends and installed them in the right direction. Next check intercooler to turbo pipe then turbo inlet(mine broke and was loosely coming in and out) then airbox to turbo inlet. I had these symptoms twice; once was the broken turbo inlet and the second was a leak in the charge pipe after 20 months of use.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #11
manghong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF30N26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by manghong View Post
- New OEM Spark Plug
- New OEM Coils

Symptoms:

Check for leaks from your charge pipe to intercooler and throttle body. Make sure you transferred the rubber seals on both ends and installed them in the right direction. Next check intercooler to turbo pipe then turbo inlet(mine broke and was loosely coming in and out) then airbox to turbo inlet. I had these symptoms twice; once was the broken turbo inlet and the second was a leak in the charge pipe after 20 months of use.
Thanks man, i have replaced the inlet pipe with FTP ones, it sounded more like the charge pipe issue since it shouldn't touch the inlet during those installation.
      05-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #12
Estorilinca
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Does your OBD reader give you any error codes? My 328 also had rough idle and it turned out to be a faulty upstream O2 sensor.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #13
Mikereese
Rep
Drives: 15 328ix drive

i'm having a similar problem. Just installed downpipe, charge pipe, FMIC. Took her for a test drive and the motor is shuttering and i noticed a lack of power. I didnt put an o ring on the charge pipe to throttle body side, mainly because when i took of the OEM pipe there wasnt one and it never gave me any issues before. could a missing o ring cause all these problems?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 06:32 PM   #14
Boznien
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP (Avus Blue)

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikereese View Post
i'm having a similar problem. Just installed downpipe, charge pipe, FMIC. Took her for a test drive and the motor is shuttering and i noticed a lack of power. I didnt put an o ring on the charge pipe to throttle body side, mainly because when i took of the OEM pipe there wasnt one and it never gave me any issues before. could a missing o ring cause all these problems?
Yes, I put the OEM o-ring on the FTP chargepipe and was having the same issue. I put the o-ring that FTP supplied and ended up solving the issue. Just be sure to use some oil/grease to lube it up before putting the o-ring in! Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 09:11 AM   #15
bilko96
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i F32

rough idle

recently installed the MST turbo inlet pipe and intake system and have now got rough idle, i think it is just a vaccum leak and need to tighten everything up.
Appreciate 0