F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Nickco43's "I will not spend $10,000 on retrofits again" Build Log
proTUNING Freaks

03-24-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Nickco43's "I will not spend $10,000 on retrofits again" Build Log

Two months ago I found out that my beloved F10 (That I spent over $10,000 on retrofits and extra BS) did a 35k oil change and was slugged up beyond repair. Last week I found out that wdeerfield was selling his 335i M Sport four hours drive away from me. He informed me the tires on the original wheels were pretty bad and we agreed to take some money off the list price to help buy a new set of tires. After a clean PPI at the local BMW dealer I booked a one way plane ticket to Albany and gathered up all my acorns to purchase the car. Even though I had a PPI I was still a bit nervous buying a car sight unseen.

Once landed in Albany the seller picked me up from the airport, I quick looked over the car and signed over the title. From my initial rainy inspection the car is better than advertised. The red coral interior has little to no wear and the paint barely has any rock chips. On the way home there was a constant road noise from the tires that were original to the car with a 10/13 stamp on them. A times it down-poured and I feared I was going to hydroplane into something but I got home safe and in time before the notary closed.

When I got home I found out that FedEx left my FCP Euro box out in the rain. Shame on them!

The one thing that bugged me enough to change tonight was the black roundels on the wheels so I changed them for my centering ones. I also found the original window sticker in the owners manual. I could not imagine paying 60k for this only 7 years ago!

After almost a 12 hour trip I am beat and ready for bed. Tomorrow I will start going through the car and taking care of some maintenance items.
Appreciate 2
zamboni1129.00
      03-24-2021, 08:55 PM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Congrats! Looks like a great find. Pretty much perfectly equipped. Original tires, huh? How many miles does the car have?
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-24-2021, 09:07 PM   #3
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Congrats! Looks like a great find. Pretty much perfectly equipped. Original tires, huh? How many miles does the car have?
97k, The second owner I had different summer wheels and winter wheels so these were left in the basement. I wanted the factory 18s as I feel like the 19s would ride poorly.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Day two with the car I spent the entire day working on the car.

The car I replaced with the F30 is my F10 535i with a sludgged engine. I have a ton of new parts that I want to swap over to the F30.

The first thing I swapped over is my 10 month old AGM battery. The battery in the F30 now is the original AGM battery! Everyone complains about coding in BMW batteries but I have seen BMW batteries last up to 10 years which I can not say for any other auto manufacture. The original battery is still in perfect working condition but I am not letting carvana have my new battery so out with the old and in with the new.

The next thing I swapped over was my set of Eldor ignition coils and spark plugs. Upon removing everything from the F30 I can tell everything is pretty worn and ready for replacement.

I also bought a new belt kit from FCP Euro. The previous owner told me his technician said everything with the belts were fine and I was shocked to find at this mileage the belt and tensioner were all in great shape. I still replaced them anyway. I also replaced the engine air filter.

After coming back from lunch I noticed every time I left my driveway I slammed the lip onto the curb. I am not a fan of lips and stuff on a daily car so I planed to rip off the lip and side skirt extensions anyway. This took hours and everything was held on by cheap seized up plastic clips, self taping screws and tape. If anyone wants them $50 local pickup.

After rolling around on my driveway all day I switched over to the electronics side of the car and performed a i-Step update. The car was already running a 2019 i-Step so only four modules needed to be updated. After the update was done I coded the oil CBS from 15k miles to 5k miles. I found out the CBS is showing it is time for a brake fluid replacement so luckily I still have a bunch of BMW brake fluid from my F10 ACC retrofit. After clearing all the codes from the flash I found out that the car has some error with the alarm. I am not sure what it is about.

The last thing I did before turning in for the night was the cabin air filter. I noticed a bit of an interior smell which was removed after taking out the nasty cabin air filter.

I still need to perform an oil change, transmission fluid change, detail the car and a few more things but I will save that for another day. I also purchased a new starter since it was only $138 but I think I will tackle that in a month or two. I am very impressed with the F30 overall and it is very easy to work on.
Appreciate 3
      03-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Love to read these build logs, keep up the good work.
      03-26-2021, 07:02 PM   #6
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC

This is awesome. Two questions

What exactly is a sludged engine and why did it happen to your f10?

How did you code the CBS interval change? Is that with Esys or ISTA
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #7
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG KLR View Post
This is awesome. Two questions

What exactly is a sludged engine and why did it happen to your f10?

How did you code the CBS interval change? Is that with Esys or ISTA
After a while the oil in your engine breaks down and starts to loose its lubricity. The once that happens the oil will start to discolor and stick to the metal parts in the engine. Typically after 15-20k miles on the same oil the oil will start to gum up or "sludge". This is very bad for the engine as it cogs oil passages and wears down the engine quickly (especially on any turbo engine). The original owner of my F10 had the first oil change at 35k and soon after sold it to the second owner who had spent several thousand trying to fix the sludge but once it is done it is too late. The second owner had the car for a few years but had spent $16k in repairs. When I looked at it the N55 oil cap is in the front so I was unable to see the build up before I bought it. I only saw the recently replaced cam shaft gears which looked fine. I only discovered the sludge after I popped off the valve cover and found it:

The nail in the coffin for me was that I found metal shavings in the oil filter. The car still runs perfect, for now. The exterior and interior are in excellent condition and I have a binder of service history for me and the previous owner. If I was a piece of shit I could sell it private party as a clean car and get most of my money back but I have just going to send it to auto auction.

I fully believe this car is cursed as when I went to sell the car and my title is missing a vin digit so now I had to pay PA another $100 to get a new title and it will take a month for it to get here.

As for the coding change 8KC to 8KP in the VO and factory code the Kombi and DME.

Last edited by Nickco43; 03-26-2021 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      03-26-2021, 07:53 PM   #8
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Today I deleted the rear badging and detailed the entire car:

The car cleaned up super well except I found a little ding on the hood. I will have that PDRed in a month or two.

I also updated the CIC maps, retrofitted speed limit info and custom coded a few things into the car.

Tomorrow I am going to tackle the engine and transmission oil change. Hopefully I won't smell like ATF for the rest of the day.
Appreciate 3
      03-27-2021, 03:22 AM   #9
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
Today I deleted the rear badging and detailed the entire car:

The car cleaned up super well except I found a little ding on the hood. I will have that PDRed in a month or two.

I also updated the CIC maps, retrofitted speed limit info and custom coded a few things into the car.

Tomorrow I am going to tackle the engine and transmission oil change. Hopefully I won't smell like ATF for the rest of the day.
Wow, what a spec! good luck with the new car OP. Hope it treats you much better.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #10
jared21927
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

OP how's the switch from a 5 series to a 3? I'm actually considering a 5 for a little more space and refinement. Has it been a welcome change for you?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 08:45 AM   #11
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
After a while the oil in your engine breaks down and starts to loose its lubricity. The once that happens the oil will start to discolor and stick to the metal parts in the engine. Typically after 15-20k miles on the same oil the oil will start to gum up or "sludge". This is very bad for the engine as it cogs oil passages and wears down the engine quickly (especially on any turbo engine). The original owner of my F10 had the first oil change at 35k and soon after sold it to the second owner who had spent several thousand trying to fix the sludge but once it is done it is too late. The second owner had the car for a few years but had spent $16k in repairs. When I looked at it the N55 oil cap is in the front so I was unable to see the build up before I bought it. I only saw the recently replaced cam shaft gears which looked fine. I only discovered the sludge after I popped off the valve cover and found it:

The nail in the coffin for me was that I found metal shavings in the oil filter. The car still runs perfect, for now. The exterior and interior are in excellent condition and I have a binder of service history for me and the previous owner. If I was a piece of shit I could sell it private party as a clean car and get most of my money back but I have just going to send it to auto auction.

I fully believe this car is cursed as when I went to sell the car and my title is missing a vin digit so now I had to pay PA another $100 to get a new title and it will take a month for it to get here.

As for the coding change 8KC to 8KP in the VO and factory code the Kombi and DME.
Thanks for the VO.

So you're telling me not changing engine oil causes total engine destruction? And it only took 35k miles? I feel like this should happen more often than not, especially with so many idiots owning cars
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the VO.

So you're telling me not changing engine oil causes total engine destruction? And it only took 35k miles? I feel like this should happen more often than not, especially with so many idiots owning cars
The F10 now has 104k miles on it. The long oil changes causes slow total engine destruction. If the previous owner changed the oil at 15k or even 20k there is no reason why the car would not have lasted another 100k miles. My uncle was a district dealer rep for Mitsubishi and this is more common occurrence than you might think. People had this happen under warranty and they try to get a new engine but it was always denied since they never changed the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared21927 View Post
OP how's the switch from a 5 series to a 3? I'm actually considering a 5 for a little more space and refinement. Has it been a welcome change for you?
The F30 feels like a cheap car compared to the F10. The build quality of the F10 is miles ahead of the F30. I used it as a comfortable couch to drive around in and when I went to and from university I never had an issue fitting all my crap into it. I definitely would consider a 5 series if you had a sports car as well. I never smiled when I drove the F10. Every time I have driven my F30 I always have a smile on my face. It drives a thousand times better than my F10.

Maybe if I can find a job when I graduate in a month one day I would be able to afford a G30 5 series and a E89 Z4 35is. That would be a dream setup.

Last edited by Nickco43; 03-27-2021 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

What a great e-book to read. Wish I had the time to perform the same work on my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #14
SW6Steve
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Have you looked at Auto RX for your F10?
I had a 1.8T Passat, which are notorious for sludging engines without a rigorous oil change routine.
I used Auto RX and it cleaned the engine pretty well. It's quite a long process though.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #15
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW6Steve View Post
Have you looked at Auto RX for your F10?
I had a 1.8T Passat, which are notorious for sludging engines without a rigorous oil change routine.
I used Auto RX and it cleaned the engine pretty well. It's quite a long process though.
I looked into BG engine cleaner (The $400 kit) which I was going to do until I found metal shavings in the oil filter:

Its not worth it for me to wait until the F10 is completely blown and sell the car for $3,000 maybe vs selling it running for $8k
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #16
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Today was fluids day! I changed the transmission fluid and did an oil change today. This is the first time I had the car up off all fours. Engine oil pan is not leaking at all and there is no rust on the body. It turns out however that one of the previous owners rattle canned the brake calipers red. Maybe one day I will get the front caliper properly powder coated and get proper Brembo rears.

Once again the F30 is super easy to work on and I had the transmission fluid drained and the pan replaced in about 30 minutes. The first time I did a ZF8 transmission fluid change on my F10 I did a torque converter fill process but on the FCP Euro video I did not see him do that so I didn't do it as well. I wonder if that mades a difference. Now was the perfect time to change the transmission fluid. It was dark but not burnt and still shifting perfectly. My test drive around the block found the transmission shifting better than ever!

Oil change was as expected. Fluid was once again dark but not black.

I have ATF in my hair so it is time for a shower. I think I am going to hold off on flushing the brake fluid and installing my dash cam until tomorrow. Stage one of dialing in the F30 is almost complete! After three full days of working on the car I am sure beat.
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #17
Livetodrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i X Drive

Garage List
Great job. You’re car loves you for it!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 01:31 PM   #18
Juice247
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 440xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared21927 View Post
I went from an f36 to a 2021 g30 for a week (530) there is almost zero more interior space in the new 5, but the car is looooooooooooooong. They're pretty, but totally different beasts. I found zero benefits to the 5 over my 440 GC. If I was coming from the coupe it might be a different story. If you're looking for more of a smooth cruiser and less sport, then the 5 is your boy. If you're looking for a more useful car, that's up for debate.

OP, the blue/red combo is beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #19
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Today I installed my dashcam and tried to DIY flash the OEM MPPK tune. On E series you can use winkfp to flash the mppk tune for free but on F series it turns out there is a pesky FSC code.

There is now a drivetrain malfunction warning on the dash due to the lack of FSC code. I found two new old stock kits on eBay for a reasonable price which I might buy.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 09:55 PM   #20
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There is now a drivetrain malfunction warning on the dash due to the lack of FSC code. I found two new old stock kits on eBay for a reasonable price which I might buy.
Does the car run / drive fine without the code? And now you're stuck with needing to buy the OEM MPPSK to fix it?
Appreciate 1
djacinto373.00
      03-29-2021, 10:28 PM   #21
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Does the car run / drive fine without the code? And now you're stuck with needing to buy the OEM MPPSK to fix it?
Nope, I just flashed the DME back to stock. It only takes about five minutes to flash. I called my dealer about it today and I am going to talk to a technician about just getting a MPPK FSC when I drop the car off for new tires on Wednesday.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 10:36 PM   #22
AMG KLR
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nope, I just flashed the DME back to stock. It only takes about five minutes to flash. I called my dealer about it today and I am going to talk to a technician about just getting a MPPK FSC when I drop the car off for new tires on Wednesday.
Please let me know what they say
Edit- Yes they will let you, the B58 you cannot get it separately

Last edited by AMG KLR; 03-29-2021 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0