F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > N55 oil filter cap or housing gasket leak?
proTUNING Freaks

01-22-2021, 06:09 PM   #1
Hiroler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Horse and buggy

What are the main signs of gasket failure vs filter/cap? Is it possible to tell without dye? Wife had Valvoline change oil 9 months ago and now it's dripping off by the transmission. The passenger side is dry and it's clearly coming from the oil filter area. It looks like it was slinging around and pooling down on the block but it's not in the front of the engine at all. The serp belt and entire front is dry. Could it just be the filter itself or that filter cap??

The dealer is an hour away (appt next Fri) and the local shop is hesitant to look at a newer BMW. Thanks ! 2014 435i 60k miles

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:06 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It could be the O-ring on the filter cap. OEM Mann and Mahle filters come with the correct replacement O-ring, but others have been known to leak. Using dye to find an oil leak isn't rocket science.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2021, 12:16 AM   #3
Hiroler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Horse and buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It could be the O-ring on the filter cap. OEM Mann and Mahle filters come with the correct replacement O-ring, but others have been known to leak. Using dye to find an oil leak isn't rocket science.
Quote:
Thanks ordered dye and light.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

clean off the area around the cap and run the engine looking for leaks. An improperly seated gasket cap typically results in oil spraying. The caps themselves don't fail. A 60k miles I'm going to say it's your oil filter housing gasket

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 08:36 PM   #5
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

I used a Mobile1 filter/o-ring and it was trash. Had a hard spot in it causing oil to blow out under boost. Never again...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #6
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroler View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks ordered dye and light.
Where did you order from?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Check the location where the OFH mounts to the engine. That gasket is also prone to leak. You usually can see that area by pulling off the engine cover and look under the intake manifold and between the OFH with a flashlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroler View Post
What are the main signs of gasket failure vs filter/cap? Is it possible to tell without dye? Wife had Valvoline change oil 9 months ago and now it's dripping off by the transmission. The passenger side is dry and it's clearly coming from the oil filter area. It looks like it was slinging around and pooling down on the block but it's not in the front of the engine at all. The serp belt and entire front is dry. Could it just be the filter itself or that filter cap??

The dealer is an hour away (appt next Fri) and the local shop is hesitant to look at a newer BMW. Thanks ! 2014 435i 60k miles

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #8
AudiEaterF30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 328xi

I 2nd to replace the oil filter and o-ring to a mann filter/oring kit.
I've seen it too many times that the aftermarket orings will leak. if it's the ofhg it will 99% of the time leak down the front of the block as well as under the intake and out by the trans
Appreciate 0