F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Value of 2015 320i
GetBMWParts

01-16-2023, 02:14 PM   #23
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Currently own a FBO 2016 320i w/ BM3 flash tune. Bought CPO at 46k and has been very reliable up until now (122k miles). The 320 has a higher compression ratio than the 328 due to different piston design and factory tuning. Previously owned a 2014 328 from 29k - 95k when it was totaled, probably still be driving today if not. My experience with both is VERY similar. All things equal, the 328 is probably a better choice due to more standard features and better performance out of the gate but if going down the rabbit hole of performance upgrades, somewhat of a moot point. I definitely would not shy away from "the right 320."

Oil service every 5k and the best fuel you can find (VPower for me). Don't beat on when cold. Thats pretty much what Ive been living by and its worked out really well for me and the N20, knock on wood.

I expect to eclipse two hundred thousand easily with my current vehicle. Not selling, so we will see how far it takes me.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 04:03 PM   #24
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
As mentioned before, I would do the 24 hour test drive. Also, assuming the TC/guides haven’t been changed, I wouldn’t let that deter you from purchasing. Even if you don’t buy the extended warranty, you’ll have 90 days/4k mile warranty as standard. I would book an appointment with the dealer ASAP and see if they can confirm that the chain has some slack so you can have Carmax foot the bill. You also have a 30 day/1500 mile return policy if you have buyers remorse or you find a better deal elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 05:06 PM   #25
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
It is your money, your car taste, but I would never ever recommend buying a BMW with N20 engine.
There are a lot of threads about N20 engine and time chain issue. It is a lottery, without much advice your engine can be toasted and no warranty for a BMW shameless design error. Please check some threads before buying the N20 engine, at least this one where you will see interesting testimonials:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614899
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 05:17 PM   #26
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
It is your money, your car taste, but I would never ever recommend buying a BMW with N20 engine.
There are a lot of threads about N20 engine and time chain issue. It is a lottery, without much advice your engine can be toasted and no warranty for a BMW shameless design error. Please check some threads before buying the N20 engine, at least this one where you will see interesting testimonials:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614899
Good luck!
N20’s with a built date of March 2015 and after have the updated parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 10:41 PM   #27
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
N20’s with a built date of March 2015 and after have the updated parts.
Maybe… but I would not take chance… so far I never heard what was the update? Better plastic material?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 02:06 AM   #28
klrgen
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This is a fair amount over your price point and it’s really far away, but it’s REALLY nice and it has the superior B48 motor.
I saw that one, but seeing as the pricing on CarMax has seemed up there, I didn't really consider it. I wouldn't mind taking a flight out and driving back for it. Might look into that one more.

There's a 320 in Rockford, IL. Similar stuff, 2016 but with one accident (no damage reported.) Might at least go look at it.

The 320i is still on hold until Wednesday evening. I shouldn't have an issue extending it, but if the timing chain guide is something to worry about, I might opt out of it. If I'm already paying top dollar, the lowest 125k/48m warranty is a cool $4,200. So ~$26k for the car and peace of mind, I might wait for another deal knowing that these exist.

Quote:
I would book an appointment with the dealer ASAP and see if they can confirm that the chain has some slack so you can have Carmax foot the bill
I should make an appointment during the 24 hour test period. Find out what's up before I put in the purchase lol. Might walk away for the time being. Best case scenario, no one buys it and it drops in price at some point soon.
Edit: Rockford car listing I might go see today. https://www.twinsautomall.com/invent...r-Sdn-328i-RWD

Last edited by klrgen; 01-17-2023 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 02:51 AM   #29
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrgen View Post
I saw that one, but seeing as the pricing on CarMax has seemed up there, I didn't really consider it. I wouldn't mind taking a flight out and driving back for it. Might look into that one more.

There's a 320 in Rockford, IL. Similar stuff, 2016 but with one accident (no damage reported.) Might at least go look at it.

The 320i is still on hold until Wednesday evening. I shouldn't have an issue extending it, but if the timing chain guide is something to worry about, I might opt out of it. If I'm already paying top dollar, the lowest 125k/48m warranty is a cool $4,200. So ~$26k for the car and peace of mind, I might wait for another deal knowing that these exist.

I should make an appointment during the 24 hour test period. Find out what's up before I put in the purchase lol

Might walk away for the time being. Best case scenario, no one buys it and it drops in price at some point soon.
Yeah, I saw that one in Rockford. I didn’t mention it, because it looks a little rough to me and it lacks navigation. I was kind of put off by the condition of the steering wheel, it looks like one of the parking sensors in the rear bumper is kind of pushed in, and the one wheel they show somewhat up close looks like it has some curb rash. It also lacks leather as compared to the one in Cali and I’m also kind of a leather snob, plus I’m a fan of the Coral Red.

Comparing the CarMax pricing between the 2015 320i and the 2018 330i I felt fairly okay with the higher price. My personal feeling is that the Bxx motors in the 2017 & 2018 F30s are quite a bit superior to the Nxx motors in the previous years. Of course, I’m biased. I bought a 2018 340i specifically for the B58 motor. For me one of the big things about BMWs is their motors.

Headlights are also a big thing for me. In the past I’ve always had BMWs with xenon headlights and now I have adaptive LEDs. I’m not a fan of halogens on modern cars.

$8,000 is no doubt a very significant price difference, but overall condition is also a big thing for me and what I could see of the 330i made me feel better about it than the Rockford 328i. I’ve also shopped CarMax in the past and have been fairly impressed with the condition of the cars they offer. I’m always wary of the condition of cars at small, independent dealers. Back in the day we used to call them “note lots”, because they were known for selling to credit challenged buyers and “toting the note”.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-17-2023 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 03:11 AM   #30
klrgen
Rep

Quote:
I’m always leery of the condition of cars at small, independent dealers.
Yeah, I was also kind of weary about it, but figure it might be worth checking out. I'm out in the NW suburbs, so I'm not too far out from Rockford. Taking it out for a test drive would let me see how the car feels with a little bit more HP (at least CarGurus says it's 240 hp over the 180 of the CarMax one.) I can at least see if I care for the power difference.

Gonna be researching the one in Cali a little bit more.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 04:01 AM   #31
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I should make an appointment during the 24 hour test period. Find out what's up before I put in the purchase lol. Might walk away for the time being. Best case scenario, no one buys it and it drops in price at some point soon.
Edit: Rockford car listing I might go see today. https://www.twinsautomall.com/invent...r-Sdn-328i-RWD
That 328 has been in a few accidents as the front hood doesn’t flush on the edges and the trunk area seems suspect. As mentioned above, no Nav/widescreen as the smaller screen IMHO looks cheap. You could always upgrade but the quality fit/finish on the Carmax 320 is better than the used car lot 328. Maybe (doubt it) but just maybe the Carmax 320 has had the TC/guides replaced by the dealer so call up BMW NA and provide the VIN to see if it has been done? An inspection by the dealer will cost a few hundred but it’ll be a safe bet. Also, $4200 for a kick ass warranty isn’t bad but you’ll only get 50k miles out of it which is a bummer. Wish they would warranty the car at least 100k miles on top of the current mileage.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 04:14 AM   #32
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That 328 has been in a few accidents as the front hood doesn’t flush on the edges and the trunk area seems suspect. As mentioned above, no Nav/widescreen as the smaller screen IMHO looks cheap.
You are correct. I didn’t look closely enough. Both front corner edges of the hood are out of kilter and it looks like the left side of the trunk lid is dented. It’s a little hard to distinguish with the white paint, but I’m pretty sure I see a dent. Notable that they don’t provide a CarFax.

01-17-2023, 06:45 AM   #33
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
Maybe… but I would not take chance… so far I never heard what was the update? Better plastic material?
I see you have a 2014 N20? Do you have the updated parts or original TC/guides? Older article but this explains it:

https://rightfootdown.com/automotive...nents-n26-too/
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 10:58 AM   #34
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I see you have a 2014 N20? Do you have the updated parts or original TC/guides? Older article but this explains it:

https://rightfootdown.com/automotive...nents-n26-too/
I do still have a 14, but it is 59,000 miles. Because it is low mileage and low residual value I have not updated the parts,. Couple years ago I got a 2017 for my wife, and the criteria to buy was to be out of N20. Thanks for the article, however it doesn’t tell what is the “redesign”?
Didn’t anybody took pictures side by side and identified the difference?
Or BMW specified lower grade plastic before?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 01:33 AM   #35
klrgen
Rep

Hello all, I decided to step away from this particular BMW, at least for the time being. If they drop the price, I may make a return to it, but time will tell on that one.

That being said, I'm still looking a 3 series for my next car. Obviously limiting myself by wanting a manual, but I want to grab one while they still exist.

Besides Facebook groups, Carmax, or CarGurus, are there any other places I can keep an eye out on some good deals?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 02:24 AM   #36
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hello all, I decided to step away from this particular BMW, at least for the time being. If they drop the price, I may make a return to it, but time will tell on that one.

That being said, I'm still looking a 3 series for my next car. Obviously limiting myself by wanting a manual, but I want to grab one while they still exist.

Besides Facebook groups, Carmax, or CarGurus, are there any other places I can keep an eye out on some good deals?
I’ll tell you from my point of view when you find a good one you can’t piddle around. Especially on one with a manual transmission. And even more so IF you’re cool with a 320i and find one with the sport pkg that has a manual. There aren’t a lot of manuals out there and even fewer 320i sport pkg models. Unless you are willing to spend months looking you have to be prepared to act when you find a good one. I know that 330i manual in California was fairly expensive and a long distance away, but it is currently no longer available and has been shipped (within California) and is currently reserved.

I piddled around on an M340i that was just about perfectly equipped for me (lacked adaptive suspension, which I’m not even super passionate about) and was priced perfectly (under priced by the dealer) and let it get away and it is biting me in the butt right now.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-21-2023 at 02:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 05:17 AM   #37
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

to add to this, as i said many times, a unique car attracts two different spectrums, a very low price and a very high price for resell depending who is buying it, a corp or another car enthusiast.

with that said, if you can find car that you want from a PRIVATE party, buy them asap before they are getting bought up by corp like carmax who can sit on their stock all months long waiting for someone to overpay a unique car like this. that's what they do, profit profit profit while private party just want to get their money back for the next toy.

in my opinion, you are too late for this car. just keep searching for a private party car and offer a decent amount.

Quote:
I’ll tell you from my point of view when you find a good one you can’t piddle around. Especially on one with a manual transmission. And even more so IF you’re cool with a 320i and find one with the sport pkg that has a manual. There aren’t a lot of manuals out there and even fewer 320i sport pkg models. Unless you are willing to spend months looking you have to be prepared to act when you find a good one. I know that 330i manual in California was fairly expensive and a long distance away, but it is currently no longer available and has been shipped (within California) and is currently reserved.

I piddled around on an M340i that was just about perfectly equipped for me (lacked adaptive suspension, which I’m not even super passionate about) and was priced perfectly (under priced by the dealer) and let it get away and it is biting me in the butt right now.

Good luck with your search!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 10:57 PM   #38
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
This car is available again https://www.carmax.com/car/23458996

IF it was financially and logistically doable, and I realize with a $7,000 price difference that’s a big IF, I would not let this one get away. Just my two cents.

01-23-2023, 09:44 AM   #39
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

26k and you are pushing into CPO 2018 330i territory. 30k and you can get a CPO 2019 G20.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 09:49 AM   #40
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

If you can wait a month or two I would bet those prices would be a lot lower. Wholesale prices have been dropping significantly that past few months and retail prices have been following, albeit slowly.

Last edited by AlmondJayRoM3; 01-23-2023 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 01:22 PM   #41
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
I see that they dropped the price by $1k. Looks to be a very solid car and even though it’s a Jan 2015 built date, I’m sure the dealer would approve of the job while under the 3 month/4000 mile warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 06:38 PM   #42
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I see that they dropped the price by $1k. Looks to be a very solid car and even though it’s a Jan 2015 built date, I’m sure the dealer would approve of the job while under the 3 month/4000 mile warranty.
He should jump on it if a 320i gets the job done. The super nice 330i was reserved and actually shipped to a different store and then became available again and now it is sold.

I did a search for 320s and 330s on AutoTrader in the last couple of days and there were four manual transmissions listed in the entire country.

01-26-2023, 07:46 PM   #43
klrgen
Rep

I noticed the $1k price drop today and it has me interested in the 320. The timing chain guide does have me worried. I might stop the local BMW dealer tomorrow and see how much it would cost to inspect it.

I did put a reservation on this 330i in NC and am thinking about going to check it out this weekend. Any opinions on this one in particular?
I think you'll like this 2017 BMW 330 I found at CarMax https://www.carmax.com/car/23513750

CarFax looks okay, besides failing emissions at 25k and three owners, but otherwise I'm not sure what to think of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2023, 08:20 PM   #44
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What is the price? It doesn’t show once it’s been reserved. It has leatherette rather than leather and it lacks navigation. It also has halogen headlights rather than LEDs.

Here’s the Bimmer.work equipment listing https://bimmer.work/vin/kb8c6c9aed93...8ad88/options/

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-27-2023 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0