F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Vision Car to showcase interior and user interface of the future at CES 2016
proTUNING Freaks

12-28-2015, 01:23 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW Vision Car to showcase interior and user interface of the future at CES 2016

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Group at the CES 2016 in Las Vegas. BMW presents the principle of the contactless touchscreen with AirTouch.
COMMENTS
Name:  P90206946_highRes_bmw-group--ces-2016- 2.jpg
Views: 11964
Size:  167.3 KB

December 28, 2015

Munich/Las Vegas.
At the Consumer Electronics Show (CES, 6 to 9 January 2016) in Las Vegas, the BMW Group is presenting a Vision Car to demonstrate what the interior and the user interface of the future might look like. The rapid advance of networking between driver, vehicle and environment is becoming increasingly intensive and is facilitating new services. One example of new technologies in seamlessly networked vehicles is provided by AirTouch. This feature empowers intuitive control of entertainment, navigation and communication functions using simple gestures made with a flat hand. AirTouch allows the display in a vehicle to be operated like a touchscreen without actually having to make contact with the surface. Sensors record the hand movements in the area between the central console and the interior mirror. This enables drivers or passengers to change the focus on the surface of the large panorama display. Simple confirmation selects the relevant menu item or activates an icon. Sensors on the instrument dashboard permit 3D control.

One year ago, BMW already presented the new gesture control at the CES. This enables simple movements of a finger to carry out actions such as adjusting the loudness or accepting phone calls. Meanwhile, this technology is available as BMW Gesture Control in the new BMW 7 Series. AirTouch is now taking another big leap forward. Sensors are installed in the area of the instrument dashboard which respond to hand movements here and therefore permit three-dimensional control. A movement of the hand or a gesture activates the surfaces on the large panorama display.

AirTouch has another option to confirm an action. A concealed AirTouch button is located on the rim of the steering wheel. It is on the left and easy to reach with the thumb, and it lights up when a menu or icon can be activated. One tap is sufficient to activate the desired program or change a setting. The passenger also has a button like this positioned on the side sill in the door area. Passengers are therefore able to use one hand to navigate through the menu and the other hand to confirm inputs very quickly.

The intelligent AirTouch menu control reduces the number of steps needed to make a selection. For example, when activating the phone pad, the system automatically brings up contacts or call lists to the top select level so that a call can be made with just one further action. AirTouch recognises which selection and control steps are required next and displays them in advance. This allows the driver to focus all their concentration on the road ahead or offers additional convenient control options when the vehicle is travelling in highly automated mode.

Appreciate 2
      12-28-2015, 04:13 AM   #2
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The Vision i8 Spyder.
BMW AirTouch will be here sooner than you think.
      12-28-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

not a big fan of the hand gesture thingy, but would be excited if a new interior design direction is adopted coz its about time, Mercedes and Audi are way ahead in that field

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 07:42 AM   #4
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I hope that screen placement isn't final. It is to far to the right (or left). The "future" should be advancing the HUD system.
      12-28-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus650
not a big fan of the hand gesture thingy, but would be excited if a new interior design direction is adopted coz its about time, Mercedes and Audi are way ahead in that field
True, but I'd argue BMW's exterior designs are way ahead of Mercedes and Audi. Merc and Audi new designs just seem dull and uninspiring. Hopefully BMW steps up their game in the interior of their cars. Just a waiting game
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus650 View Post
Mercedes is the worst. Its like too giant iPhones stuck together and that is only if you order the full high end navigation and interface. Otherwise you have a smaller screen stuck onto immense black plastic glass.

BMWs is excellent because it provides a lounge feeling with a flatscreen positioned at the driver and now with BMW Gesture Control combined with iDrive and BMW Touchscreen control and switchgear are minimised therefore eliminating sweeping centre control panels and unnecessary blanking spaces like Mercedes. In terms of aesthetics, Haptic's and spatial layout BMW is miles ahead in interiors as is iDrive is ahead of Mercedes' antiquated Command and Audis MMI interfaces.

BMW AirTouch as well as iDrive Touch are the next stage for vehicle interfaces at BMW. I have the 730d at the moment and I can use Gesture Control without my eyes leaving the road. It is easy to master and simple to use.
BMW AirTouch is the next phase of Gesture Control and like iDrive in 2001 expect it to be much imitated and assimilated in cars of all segments within the next 10 years.
      12-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
PodDoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i / 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze
I hope that screen placement isn't final. It is to far to the right (or left). The "future" should be advancing the HUD system.
They are. They say its a sort of augmented reality where it will display objects and curves in the road coming up and other stuff and display it in the HUD. No word on when it will be coming out though.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodDoc View Post
They are. They say its a sort of augmented reality where it will display objects and curves in the road coming up and other stuff and display it in the HUD. No word on when it will be coming out though.
Yeah, I wouldve guessed that this screen is separate for the individual riding shotgun, and that there is another center screen or HUD for the driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The Vision i8 Spyder.
That is cool and all, but I honestly hope there is more innovation than just airtouch. Either in driving dynamics or maybe interior. I love the really minimalist concept interiors from BMW but in production form they never have the same vibe, so I hope BMW dares to change some more for the interior.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #10
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

so no cup holders.....
fail.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 09:46 AM   #11
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

I'm still wondering where Car Play is.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:05 AM   #13
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55
+1 what a joke, what are BMW playing at?!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #14
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJrze View Post
It looks like BMW is spurring on the return of the, "Co-Driver" with that screen placement.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #15
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32 N55 View Post
A colleague attended a clinic for a future BMW in North America recently, and in regards to what they want most of all from the car this was top of the list.
As I have said customer demands drive the market forward at the expense of others.
      12-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #16
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
This type of tech takes the attention away from the drive...wait, is that what they're going for?

Very snazzy though.
      12-28-2015, 10:23 AM   #17
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
It looks like BMW is spurring on the return of the, "Co-Driver" with that screen placement.
The BMWs of the future will offer surround displays so the driver can operate completely in his own environment. The passenger also has access to their own screens so information can be swiped over to the driver.
This feature is not that far off in a production car.
As is the introduction of iDrive Touch.
Attached Images

12-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #18
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
The BMWs of the future will offer surround displays so the driver can operate completely in his own environment. The passenger also has access to their own screens so information can be swiped over to the driver.
This feature is not that far off in a production car.
As is the introduction of iDrive Touch.
One of the things I like about BMW is they use honest, real switches and buttons for things, and manage to do it without it looking cluttered.

Guess now we will look forward to have to go through three menus, then two sub menus just to change the fan speed.

One more step closer to averagedom.
Appreciate 2
      12-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #19
cooks02
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: I8 and M4GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The Vision i8 Spyder.
Detroit? Please Please Please
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 10:49 AM   #20
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks02 View Post
Detroit? Please Please Please
I do not think it will be at Detroit but will be at CES in Las Vegas.
      12-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #21
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Quote:
Mercedes is the worst. Its like too giant iPhones stuck together and that is only if you order the full high end navigation and interface. Otherwise you have a smaller screen stuck onto immense black plastic glass.

BMWs is excellent because it provides a lounge feeling with a flatscreen positioned at the driver and now with BMW Gesture Control combined with iDrive and BMW Touchscreen control and switchgear are minimised therefore eliminating sweeping centre control panels and unnecessary blanking spaces like Mercedes. In terms of aesthetics, Haptic's and spatial layout BMW is miles ahead in interiors as is iDrive is ahead of Mercedes' antiquated Command and Audis MMI interfaces.

BMW AirTouch as well as iDrive Touch are the next stage for vehicle interfaces at BMW. I have the 730d at the moment and I can use Gesture Control without my eyes leaving the road. It is easy to master and simple to use.
BMW AirTouch is the next phase of Gesture Control and like iDrive in 2001 expect it to be much imitated and assimilated in cars of all segments within the next 10 years.
So true. Hate the merc screen. Looks cheap as hell. That said I wish the speedo and rev needles were kept. Perhaps as an option? My E9 csi coup as wonderfull metal needles would look great in modern cars
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #22
Stratus650
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupe

Quote:
Quote:

You missed my point

I was talking about the interior design in general and not the infotainment system or screen specifically.

BMW needs to revolutionize the interior design, just like "other" german car manufacturers.

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Appreciate 0