F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Creaking when car has warmed up
ARMA SPEED

10-24-2017, 05:02 AM   #1
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Creaking when car has warmed up

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their 340i or 440i.

So basically I've been having this creaking noise which only happens when the car is hot and being driven for 30 minutes plus. The noise is like a mettalic creak and you can hear it on uneven roads or when going over humps. It sounds like a suspension bush related noise but it isn't.

It seems to come from the Right side of the car (UK drivers side) and it comes when the car is hot over uneven roads. This creaking is also heard when the car is idle and you shift from Park to Drive or Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive - inline with when the load changes. You can also hear it once, when the engine turns off or starts. For this reason I have ruled out it being suspension or bushes related.

The dealer and I have both checked the trims and seals and its not from there. You can hear it inside the cabin but its not audible from outside (might be drowned out my engine noise). We have driven with all the doors open and it is not a door creak. It still sounds from inside the car.

It sounds like its coming from the footwell, the door sill and the b pillar. All plastics and fixtures have been checked by the dealer.

Anyone had this and can suggest anything else this might be. The car is quite new so both dealer and I are reluctant to remove/disturb factory fitted parts where possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 05:09 AM   #2
Roki187
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Rocket :-)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak View Post
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this with their 340i or 440i.

So basically I've been having this creaking noise which only happens when the car is hot and being driven for 30 minutes plus. The noise is like a mettalic creak and you can hear it on uneven roads or when going over humps. It sounds like a suspension bush related noise but it isn't.

It seems to come from the Right side of the car (UK drivers side) and it comes when the car is hot over uneven roads. This creaking is also heard when the car is idle and you shift from Park to Drive or Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Drive - inline with when the load changes. You can also hear it once, when the engine turns off or starts. For this reason I have ruled out it being suspension or bushes related.

The dealer and I have both checked the trims and seals and its not from there. You can hear it inside the cabin but its not audible from outside (might be drowned out my engine noise). We have driven with all the doors open and it is not a door creak. It still sounds from inside the car.

It sounds like its coming from the footwell, the door sill and the b pillar. All plastics and fixtures have been checked by the dealer.

Anyone had this and can suggest anything else this might be. The car is quite new so both dealer and I are reluctant to remove/disturb factory fitted parts where possible.
Visit a dealer and voice your concern, a brand new vehicle should have no noises and the dealer should NOT be afraid to remove or “disrupt” any parts. That’s not how that works.
Brand new vehicles are disrupted at port all the time

They can simply drive the vehicle onto a drive on rack and try to replicate the noise by jouncing the vehicle (by hand) and using chassis ears. No parts will be disrupted
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki187 View Post
Visit a dealer and voice your concern, a brand new vehicle should have no noises and the dealer should NOT be afraid to remove or “disrupt” any parts. That’s not how that works.
Brand new vehicles are disrupted at port all the time

They can simply drive the vehicle onto a drive on rack and try to replicate the noise by jouncing the vehicle (by hand) and using chassis ears. No parts will be disrupted
They have tested as much as they can, but unfortunately the sound is resonating - if you are in the front you can hear it at the back. From outside it is not audible due to engine noise. They've driven it back and forth on a rack and done what you say. The interior trims aren't rattling.

It is going back in but I've been told to monitor it again. I'm suspecting it may be a engine mount maybe heating up and softening up and resonating in cabin. Could that happen? Its coming from the same side where the exhaust manifold and CAT is but again, can't hear it when the engine cools down.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
Roki187
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They have tested as much as they can, but unfortunately the sound is resonating - if you are in the front you can hear it at the back. From outside it is not audible due to engine noise. They've driven it back and forth on a rack and done what you say. The interior trims aren't rattling.

It is going back in but I've been told to monitor it again. I'm suspecting it may be a engine mount maybe heating up and softening up and resonating in cabin. Could that happen? Its coming from the same side where the exhaust manifold and CAT is but again, can't hear it when the engine cools down.
If they were able to duplicate it with you (the customer) present, they should have never released the vehicle back to you until the issue is corrected. And also test drive with the customer after completing the repairs to confirm the repair did indeed address the issue.
Appreciate 1
eluded2960.50
      10-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #5
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki187 View Post
If they were able to duplicate it with you (the customer) present, they should have never released the vehicle back to you until the issue is corrected. And also test drive with the customer after completing the repairs to confirm the repair did indeed address the issue.
They thought it was vibration from the brakes and on test drive it was fine, but it started again day after.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
Roki187
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
They thought it was vibration from the brakes and on test drive it was fine, but it started again day after.
Any reputable dealer should have a decent set of chassis ears. Noises and rattles are nothing new to Bmw, and should not take that long to diag once verified.

They might feel that it’s not a safety related issue so they let it go, or can’t verify it. Try and record it if possible or go to the dealer when it occurs. So they can verify the complaint
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
phinole
Ridin' thru Atlanna
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M Sport Dinan S1

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [10.00]
Sometimes when I enter my garage, I give the car a quick rev up to about 2500 RPM (in Park) just to hear the glorious exhaust sound and subsequent burbles. I often hear a small creak right after I do that ... I wonder if we are experiencing the same thing? If you determine what it is, I'd love to know. So far it hasn't bothered me enough to pursue a fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 3

Wow, I have actually the exact same problem. Were you able find or even fix the problem? It is definately coming from the outside of the car. However, I cant hear it when standing beside the car and some one else driving is driving it and reproducing the noise.

I thought it could be the suspension or engine holder. It starts at barely 120 degrees celcius. Below this temerature the noise is not there.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 03:22 AM   #9
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraxy View Post
Wow, I have actually the exact same problem. Were you able find or even fix the problem? It is definately coming from the outside of the car. However, I cant hear it when standing beside the car and some one else driving is driving it and reproducing the noise.

I thought it could be the suspension or engine holder. It starts at barely 120 degrees celcius. Below this temerature the noise is not there.
I'm still looking for it. I'm thinking engine mount or the flex on the CAT at the moment. It is louder on RHD cars as the steering column boot is more nearer the noise, so it spills into the cabin quicker. I have the car booked in once again. Will post the results!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 02:53 AM   #10
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Looking forward hearing from you. I am at the dealer for further investigation at November 9th. Takes a while :/
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

So... I have to make this public.

My car was at the dealer and they could reproduce the rattling noise from below when the car is warm.

They said it is with 99% the cat. However, they wont change it, because it seems normal for a cat to make such annoying noises when the engine is warm... just below 120°C oil temp is a usual warm engine.

So for everyone out there: that is premium service and a premium car!

Besides all the interior rattling I had (center trim, steering column, dash, glove box, 3rd break light, center console around gear shift, center arm rest and passenger seat, squeaking breaks) this is so embarrassing for BMW.

I cannot imagine that the quality of the other premium brands is so low as it is for BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 11:19 PM   #12
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Quote:
So... I have to make this public.

My car was at the dealer and they could reproduce the rattling noise from below when the car is warm.

They said it is with 99% the cat. However, they wont change it, because it seems normal for a cat to make such annoying noises when the engine is warm... just below 120°C oil temp is a usual warm engine.

So for everyone out there: that is premium service and a premium car!

Besides all the interior rattling I had (center trim, steering column, dash, glove box, 3rd break light, center console around gear shift, center arm rest and passenger seat, squeaking breaks) this is so embarrassing for BMW.

I cannot imagine that the quality of the other premium brands is so low as it is for BMW.
Welcome to the new BMW.

The BMW we've all come to love and respect died in 2012/2013.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
B58 parts471.50
      11-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

To update on my situation - the noise was indeed the catalytic convertor. Since the replacement, it has indeed been quiet *touch wood*

I do however still get a noise when changing from Park to Drive (only when the car has been running for a good while and upto temperature) however it is soo faint (sounds like 3 clicks) that I'm thinking it is to some degree within tolerance (dare I say).
Appreciate 2
eluded2960.50
kern4174442.00
      12-08-2017, 01:35 AM   #14
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinole View Post
Sometimes when I enter my garage, I give the car a quick rev up to about 2500 RPM (in Park) just to hear the glorious exhaust sound and subsequent burbles. I often hear a small creak right after I do that ...
That creaking is the movement of the tectonic plates due to all that horsepower.
Appreciate 1
phinole25.50
      12-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #15
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:

This doesn't excuse that shitty dealership and/or BMW but go to an Audi or Mercedes forums and someone in a similar situation as you and is saying the exact same thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #16
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

This is the noise by the way. Still not fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 12:41 AM   #17
engelm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 428 GCi

Hi bmwak and eraxy
bmwak - 5 mths since you had the CAT replaced. Is it still nice and quiet?
eraxy - did you ever get it solved?

My 428GCi will be 3 years old in May and so far two dealers have been unable to diagnose or fix the exact same problem which has been happening since the car was 6 months old.

It's booked for service next week at a new dealer where I will show them the problem, as well as this thread!

The trouble I found with these genuine BMW dealers is they don't want to spend the time or effort diagnosing. For example, I've explained the sound only starts once the engine is above 120c, but they take it for a road test after its been sitting idle for a few hours (i.e. cold engine), say they can't hear anything, and think they've fixed it!

Keen to hear your updates
Many thanks
engelm
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 03:06 AM   #18
engelm
Registered
Rep

Problem finally fixed. Turns out it was the engine mounts - both ended up being replaced under warranty. They told me they were able to diagnose the sounds using Chassis Ears while driving the car under warm engine conditions.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #19
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

I had this problem in my M3 as well... it was one engine mount.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 02:22 AM   #20
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

Hello, they did change one of the engine mounts 2 month ago. However, the noise did start coming from the left side now.

Going to the dealer today to let change the left engine mount as well.

This car is driving me nuts....
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #21
engelm
Registered
Rep

Good luck. I must say, once it is fixed, the driving experience is so much less stressful, not waiting to hear creaks and groans all the time. Much more enjoyable...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 07:17 AM   #22
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep

So. Both Engine Mounts did not fix the problem. Time to sell the car.
Appreciate 0