F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinantronics SPORT trouble
proTUNING Freaks

12-20-2020, 10:44 PM   #1
Lachssilber
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 340i, e28 535is

Dinantronics SPORT trouble

Hey, hopefully this is the correct place to ask.

I ordered a Dinantronics SPORT tune for my f30 340i. I installed per the instructions, downloaded the app for it, paired my phone, set it to sport+ mode (instructions suggested not to use Race mode without 93 octane) and went for a drive. My car was behaving very erratically - surging forward in a manner that is not consistent with its normal throttle response, boost seemed to be coming on inconsistently, idle was a bit low, etc. I drove until it got up to temperature to see if that would even things out and it just got weirder, so I pulled over at a gas station, shut the motor off but left it in accessory mode, used to app to switch to stock parameters and everything seemed fine. It was just like it was before. I decided to try Sport mode on the app to see if it was smoother than Sport+ but this time my phone had no connection to the Dinantronics. I checked the thing in the engine bay and its red light was off. I started my car again and now had a check engine light. So I drove home carefully and uninstalled the Dinantronics. Engine seemed uncharacteristically hot even though temp gauge was normal. Check engine was still on. I borrowed my neighbor's diagnostic tool and these are the codes:

P112E (stored) - Manifold Absolute Pressure to Throttle Angle - Too Low (Bank 1)
P12A4 (stored) - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor 'A' Afterrunning Diagnosis Pressure Too Low
P112E (permanent) - Manifold Absolute Pressure to Throttle Angle - Too Low (Bank 1)

I cleared the codes and they went away, even the permanent code - should I not have done that? Went for a short drive until it was back at operating temperature and everything seems normal and no more light, but I'm really worried about doing damage because this car needs to be my transportation. The project is an e28 which I guess I can drive if need be but I'd prefer to drive the F30 daily.

Thanks for any help, hopefully someone can ease my mind. Don't know if I need to be worried but I've read some scary B58 stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 10:45 PM   #2
Lachssilber
United_States
Rep

Car is a 2017 6-speed MT 340i M Sport with 16,000 mi if that makes a difference
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 10:46 PM   #3
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

It's a piggyback, which is garbage. Ditch it and get a flash tune, or, since you need it to be reliable, leave it stock.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 1
Supr3me551.00
      12-20-2020, 10:53 PM   #4
Lachssilber
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
It's a piggyback, which is garbage. Ditch it and get a flash tune, or, since you need it to be reliable, leave it stock.
Thanks for the response, I'm going to ditch the Dinan. That wasn't a fun drive, it as doing very strange things. I guess I'm asking if the permanent code going away means I'm all good or if I should be worried I did damage. I was trying to look up troubleshooting stuff and came across a post where someone was running a Dinan piggyback on their M240i, it ran too much boost, turbo broke, motor sucked in a piece of the turbo, engine needed replacement. So I'm freaking out
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
BMW in NE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 xDrive

Did you clear codes after install (before starting)? Did you disconnect the battery when you installed? If the answer is no to either of these questions that's probably what caused your error codes. You're probably fine now.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW in NE View Post
Did you clear codes after install (before starting)? Did you disconnect the battery when you installed? If the answer is no to either of these questions that's probably what caused your error codes. You're probably fine now.
+1.

Also, were the connections tight? I once had a similar pressure too low code when I first installed my JB4 because one of the connections wasn't tight. Plugged it in properly till I heard a click and all is well now. No errors. This was with a JB4 though and not Dinan.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #7
Lachssilber
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW in NE View Post
No to both of those. Was surprised that disconnecting the battery was not mentioned in the directions, but decided not to bother with it in case it will forget my settings on iDrive or something weird
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 07:40 PM   #8
Lachssilber
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
+1.

Also, were the connections tight? I once had a similar pressure too low code when I first installed my JB4 because one of the connections wasn't tight. Plugged it in properly till I heard a click and all is well now. No errors. This was with a JB4 though and not Dinan.
I do believe the connections were good. There are only two connectors that this one splices into, it’s not as comprehensive as JB4. I got a little aggressive with the charge pipe because I was having trouble releasing that factory connector bit thoroughly made sure I didn’t cause any leaks or crack it. I’ve been driving all day with the Dinan uninstalled and codes clear and it feels normal again so I’m feeling better. I will drive it stock for a while and eventually consider a JB4 because I know N54/N55 guys have nothing but good things to say
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 06:02 AM   #9
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

the pressure sensor is one of the main things the dinan or any piggyback uses to increase hp. Issues are likely due to disconnecting the sensor without disconnecting the battery or not having a secure connection with the piggyback. However, typically that will show a code for short to ground. Your codes seems like a good reading wasn't getting to the DME. If you try to install and it happens again, the Dinan unit itself may be bad.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0