F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > No Audio - Harman Kardon
GetBMWParts

03-04-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
StredTech
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d xDrive

Exclamation No Audio - Harman Kardon

Hello

I have a strange issue with my 420d GC.

When I got in it today, there was no audio. No chimes for parking sensors, nothing. The volume control does not even show on the screen when you try to adjust it - an its not on mute

Strangely, it has lost the date and time too, but only on the iDrive, the dash still has the correct date and time.

I have not plugged anything new in or changed anything so not sure why it would suddenly stop. I've seen a few other people post on here buy have not actually seen a resolution

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Randon thought: How old is the battery? Have it tested. When these batteries start to go, we often get a myrid of strange electrical issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #3
StredTech
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Randon thought: How old is the battery? Have it tested. When these batteries start to go, we often get a myrid of strange electrical issues.
Battery is only 2 years old
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
You have an open circuit somewhere in the Most bus and the HK amp, head unit and instrument cluster all communicate through this fibre optic network so possible that one of these components had failed (likely the HK amp).
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
StredTech
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
You have an open circuit somewhere in the Most bus and the HK amp, head unit and instrument cluster all communicate through this fibre optic network so possible that one of these components had failed (likely the HK amp).
Thanks for the heads up. Do you know of a way I can check to see what component it is? Is it likely to be a fuse?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You need an ODB diagnostic tool to read error codes that may pinpoint the fault.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2021, 07:19 AM   #7
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StredTech View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Do you know of a way I can check to see what component it is? Is it likely to be a fuse?
MOST issues are usually tough to troubleshoot so I suggest getting a most loop terminator and going through each most component starting with the HK amp to see if the other components come back online.

If you terminate the HK amp and you notice that the warning tones, service and time comes back on the head unit then you know the Amp is causing the problem.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-MOST-F...75.c101224.m-1
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 07:20 AM   #8
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Most bus issues are usually tough to troubleshoot so I suggest getting a most loop terminator and going through each most component starting with the HK amp to see if the other components come back online.

If you terminate the most connection on the HK amp and you notice that the warning tones, service and time comes back on the head unit then you know the Amp is causing the problem.

Search " Most loop terminator female " on eBay and you should be able to find these for under $10.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 07:50 AM   #9
StredTech
Rep

Thanks all for the help!

I managed to fix it and thought I’d share the fix that worked for me rather than going silent

After pulling all the fuses relating to the audio and checking them I found they were all still good. I next turned my attention to the amp, I checked the connectors on it and when pushing the fibre connector I heard a click and then all the audio came back!

It looks like the connector wasn’t seated properly - phew!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #10
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks all for the help!

I managed to fix it and thought I’d share the fix that worked for me rather than going silent

After pulling all the fuses relating to the audio and checking them I found they were all still good. I next turned my attention to the amp, I checked the connectors on it and when pushing the fibre connector I heard a click and then all the audio came back!

It looks like the connector wasn’t seated properly - phew!
Lucky

Yep, that would do it as well since the connection was loose causing the fibre loop to be disrupted.
Appreciate 0