F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > MB GLB
proTUNING Freaks

07-15-2021, 04:18 AM   #1
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Taycan Turbo

MB GLB

Guys does anyone have any knowledge about the Mercedes GLB?

Situation is that my father in law who knows absolutely nothing about cars, is not really interested in cars has decided to get a new one (currently drives a C Class).

For some context - and to get an idea of how little interest he has - while working he would always buy (finance as seemingly for tax purposes (self employed financial advisor/mortgage broker) that made more sense) a new C Class every 3 years on repeat. He retired 2 years ago at 55 and just settled the outstanding finance on his current car so now has a 5 year old C Class and after getting a hard time from his golf buddies (peer pressure at 57!) about when is he going to get a new car has decided to go get something.

He literally has no interest in cars and will talk in terms of 'it has to be smart looking with nice wheels'. The remit is a small SUV (as 'he's getting older and wants something he steps into'), my mother in law has a GLA which she got last year and he likes that but it's too low and doesn't have a big enough boot. One of his mates has a GLC but that's too big for him (also says my X3 is too big). He called me to ask for some advise and I suggested a GLB, he knew nothing of the GLB but quickly was pretty sold on the idea, watched a Car Wow video on it and is away for a look today.

To be honest I don't know too much about the GLB either (other than the GLB 35 AMG seems like a good package) and I'm starting to question if I've pointed him in the right direction! Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of the GLB?

It has to be a mid size SUV that you 'step into' (tick for GLB), has room for golf clubs and golf trolley (tick for GLB), has room for kids - 3 grandkids on occasion (tick for GLB - 7 seats) and looks smart with smart wheels (tick for GLB in right spec.) Engine....couldn't give a sh*t. Cash buyer who wants to spend £35k-£45k. I thought the GLB was a good option but anyone got any other recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 04:22 AM   #2
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Not what he'd be looking at but I quite like this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 05:00 AM   #3
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

I think you've chosen a good option there. Is a GLC/X3 really much bigger dimensionally, though?

Other options would be Q3/X1/Lexus UX perhaps. But all lack the practicality of the GLB imho. That does seem to pack a lot of space and function onto a small platform and footprint.

top of my head, a GLB would be my choice in that market too.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2021, 05:03 AM   #4
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

No idea, sorry, but can totally relate to the feeling of making some suggestions to somebody as a pointer to two and them just then going "right, that'll do for me..."...

I suspect that, really, and I know we all have our opinions on the variances, that any of the similar cars from any of the main players will do more or less the same job.. They seem to be pegging product at the same pricing and equipment points, don't they... and so if he is used to Mercedes I do not see why he would not be happy with another... assuming he tests one and makes sure that it has the stuff on it that he wants...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2021, 05:07 AM   #5
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
No idea, sorry, but can totally relate to the feeling of making some suggestions to somebody as a pointer to two and them just then going "right, that'll do for me..."...

I suspect that, really, and I know we all have our opinions on the variances, that any of the similar cars from any of the main players will do more or less the same job.. They seem to be pegging product at the same pricing and equipment points, don't they... and so if he is used to Mercedes I do not see why he would not be happy with another... assuming he tests one and makes sure that it has the stuff on it that he wants...
Shouldn't you be posting pics in another thread?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 05:30 AM   #6
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
I think you've chosen a good option there. Is a GLC/X3 really much bigger dimensionally, though?

Other options would be Q3/X1/Lexus UX perhaps. But all lack the practicality of the GLB imho. That does seem to pack a lot of space and function onto a small platform and footprint.

top of my head, a GLB would be my choice in that market too.
I thought the same re. size but apparently the GLC is 'huge' and mine is 'massive'

I was actually quite surprised when I had a quick look at the GLB - don't see many on the road - as I never knew they had 3rd row seating and as you say they seem to fit plenty into the footprint.

Discussed the Q3 and doesn't seem interested. X1 was no-go because my mum has one (my mum not his own wife) and when he originally called me last night it started with the Lexus as someone had suggested this to him and he was going to have a look but seen one yesterday afternoon and thought it looked terrible.

My initial input was to wait on the new C class and buy an estate but this 'stepping into' seems to be a big thing.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2021, 05:32 AM   #7
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Shouldn't you be posting pics in another thread?
Still waiting for the call ...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 07:12 AM   #8
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Father in law ordered a GLB - seemed to love it.

GLB 220D 4MATIC AMG Premium Plus in 'Galaxy Blue'. Said it pretty much ticked every box for him.

Once he picked his spec. (basically just 3 options AMG/AMG Premium/AMG Premium Plus that you can pick from on them - no real scope for individual options) they could get a hold of an unregistered one that ticked his boxes so he went ahead and ordered that.
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18769.50
      07-26-2021, 07:22 AM   #9
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyrshireColin View Post
Father in law ordered a GLB - seemed to love it.

GLB 220D 4MATIC AMG Premium Plus in 'Galaxy Blue'. Said it pretty much ticked every box for him.

Once he picked his spec. (basically just 3 options AMG/AMG Premium/AMG Premium Plus that you can pick from on them - no real scope for individual options) they could get a hold of an unregistered one that ticked his boxes so he went ahead and ordered that.
Good man, I have to say they look good to me. A chappy local to us works for Merc and has a GLE63S Coupe or something, but I note he uses his other halfs GLB most of the time for local journeys!
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 07:31 AM   #10
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

I like the look of them for the wife too… i was looking at X2 to replace her X3…. But the interior of the GLB looks a lot smarter.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 07:46 AM   #11
AyrshireColin
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Yeah he seemed very impressed with the package and is happy.

He said the interior was miles ahead of his current C Class (I know the C Class is due a refresh).

To highlight the used car prices being 'bonkers' narrative. They were struggling to get him a build slot for anything this year so he asked if he could buy their demonstrator that he'd driven (it's a March 2020 car with about 1,600 miles on it), it is listed 'for sale' but not certain they actually want to sell (as daft as that may sound)….for a little digging they came up with what he's getting and it's 'only' costing £4k more. I know that it's not always easy/impossible for some people to come up with £4k but you're comparing 2 cars with the exact same spec. where one is used and one is unregistered.....that's completely unheard of to my mind!
Appreciate 1
D69GMB463.00