F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > HK settings
GetBMWParts

07-18-2021, 10:39 AM   #1
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

HK settings

Hi all

I know sound settings are quite subjective but I think the HK in the G30/F90 is pretty naff in standard form so I set about seeing if there was some Eq settings that could help tweak the sound to be a little bit bassier. Nb the F30 I had which was equipped with HK was far better than the newer cars.

I tried the settings in this video and have to admit it sounds far better than it used to:

Just thought I would share this for anyone thinking the same about their car and HK
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 04:48 AM   #2
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Have you checked you've not got a duff amplifier? Bass was awful in my X4 and I stumbled across a thread about a load of faulty amplifiers. Affects models across the range.

Worth looking into for peace of mind if nothing else. Once I'd had my amp replaced the HK was sounding just how it should with pumping bass without having to have the volume right up.

Worth a read of this thread here

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=160

And here

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=89

Rukka

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #3
Panchoa
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330d M Sport

Thanks. Doesn’t seem to cover the F90 but they could come under the g30??

Did you point the dealer to the puma case or did they just own up to issues with the HK?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
Thanks. Doesn’t seem to cover the F90 but they could come under the g30??

Did you point the dealer to the puma case or did they just own up to issues with the HK?
I pointed the dealer to the puma case as well as telling him the HK was sh1t.

No arguments from him. First thing is to check your amp and see if it was made in Mexico and is the affected part number.

Mine is much better with the replacement amp. Before I had to crank the volume well over half way to hear any bass. Now it rarely goes above a quarter.

Well worth investigating.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Another thing you might want to try is playing with the fader.

I've found in mine(G30) that if you move the fader fully to the front of the car (hardly ever have anyone in the back of mine) the clarity and power of the system increases. To my ears there is less distortion at any volume and that has improved the separation of instruments and overall fidelity. It takes your ears a few mins to adjust, at first you think you are missing some sound as the sound stage moves forward, but your brain soon forgets that and begins to notice the improvements.

I've heard a few people say that it is the amp that is the limiting factor in the system(even when not faulty), rather than the speakers, so it makes sense that if you take some of the load off the amp from the 6? rear speakers, it can put more quality power to the fronts, before it runs out of steam, which gives you a better quality sound, less distortion etc. I'm certainly much happier with mine, and I'd already found the equaliser settings in that vid.

Another thing I've done is coded B&W processing settings, and use the studio setting which to my ears gives the best sound, and I've always been a hifi geek.
Appreciate 0