F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Amsoil Next Oil Change?
Studio RSR

03-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #23
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
What's that got to do with the filter? Color me a skeptic, but I work in the audio field, where lab testing proves that 50 cents a foot zip cord works better than $100 a foot magic speaker cables. I know from experience that you don't always get what you pay for.
You seem to suspect Amsoil of publishing in house doctored information. Oil business competitors are always trying to find something to use to drive the small guy with a superior product out of business. This company is always on the up and up with information they publish for that reason. The point was that notable companies made remarks they had no basis for making. I think you ought to investigate a company further before you make off hand, unsubstantiated remarks.

BTW Amsoil supplies gear lube to approximately 50% of all the wind turbines in the US after demonstrating a superior product to the gearbox manufacturers. ZF is one of those gearbox suppliers. These gearboxes transmit around 4000hp. Their lube also goes to Europe, South America and China.
Remember ultimately Amsoil is a blender (aka formulator) which distributes their product via Direct Marketing.

They buy their base oils from the majors like Exxon Mobil (PAO). They might develop some of their own add packs.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #24
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadzBmer_N2o View Post
Yes, mine is Full Syn, it just says prem vice the word 100%. Actually all the Euro bottles say that "Premium", are u sure u got the Euro and not the OE ones..
Positive. I will take a picture tomorrow and post.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #25
JimKden
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I read your post, where you said "Nobody makes a filter with particulate removal efficiency to the level of the proprietary Amsoil filter media." Being absent of anything other than advertising copy to back up that claim I'll file it away with testimonials for Monster Cables and Enzyte.
Since you obviously use the best, what are it's properties.. You might have to refer to your Monster Cables and Enzyte files
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 09:04 AM   #26
JimKden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
They buy their base oils from the majors like Exxon Mobil (PAO). They might develop some of their own add packs.
Are you sure about that?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #27
JimKden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IraHayes View Post
Is that a current bottle? I recently changed my oil and used the same thing, but the labels on mine also state “100% synthetic.”
Amsoil makes over 50 different engine oils and there is only one that is not 100% synthetic, a marine engine oil for an engine that the engine mfr specifies an blended oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 09:24 AM   #28
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Quote:
Is that a current bottle? I recently changed my oil and used the same thing, but the labels on mine also state “100% synthetic.”
Amsoil makes over 50 different engine oils and there is only one that is not 100% synthetic, a marine engine oil for an engine that the engine mfr specifies an blended oil.
Quote:
Quote:
Is that a current bottle? I recently changed my oil and used the same thing, but the labels on mine also state "100% synthetic."
Thanks guys for your inputs, and comments i know oil is a touchy subject and i don't condone anybody on here using whatever brand they prefer, yes some have better test results and those can be subjective at times as well. In the end the bottom line is that we change our oil's not on BMW CSB schedule but our own less than the 15k...
      03-08-2020, 12:29 PM   #29
JimKden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys for your inputs, and comments i know oil is a touchy subject and i don't condone anybody on here using whatever brand they prefer, yes some have better test results and those can be subjective at times as well. In the end the bottom line is that we change our oil's not on BMW CSB schedule but our own less than the 15k...
However if the particle removal is better with one product than another, it doesn't matter how often the oil is changed.

For those who doubt the filtration removal numbers, the published numbers are 99% removal of particle sizes greater than 20 microns per ISO test std ISO-4548-22 (not a home grown county fair test procedure).
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #30
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, mine is Full Syn, it just says prem vice the word 100%. Actually all the Euro bottles say that "Premium", are u sure u got the Euro and not the OE ones..
The 0w-40 from my oil change a couple weeks ago, and the 5w-40 from about 5 months ago. I think maybe the bottles you have are just older labels. I'm thinking that Amsoil has probably gotten a lot of people calling and asking whether their products are 100% synthetic since there is a legal difference between claiming "full" and "100%" synthetic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #31
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure about that?
About what?

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #32
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The 0w-40 from my oil change a couple weeks ago, and the 5w-40 from about 5 months ago. I think maybe the bottles you have are just older labels. I'm thinking that Amsoil has probably gotten a lot of people calling and asking whether their products are 100% synthetic since there is a legal difference between claiming "full" and "100%" synthetic.
Thas really weird, i went onto the Amsoil website and here are the pics of the Euro oil they sell.

Might be abit blurry, but look at the words its says: Premium
Attached Images

03-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #33
JimKden
Private
Rep

Quote:
About what?
That Amsoil buys base oils from Exxon Mobile.

And they do develop their own additive packages and is why they never supported the starburst program because that is a recipe prescribed by others.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #34
JimKden
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thas really weird, i went onto the Amsoil website and here are the pics of the Euro oil they sell.

You will get better information if you downloaded the technical data sheet. Click on Technical Information tab.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #35
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You will get better information if you downloaded the technical data sheet. Click on Technical Information tab.
Yeah i see what you mean, the tech data sheet shows the words 100% but the product page shows the other. I am pretty positive they are the same blend..
      03-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #36
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I noticed that as well. It was the same when I ordered my 5W40 5 to 6 months back as well. Maybe an old photo and they haven't updated? Or maybe I have the older label?

I guess we will both find out next oil change
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 10:28 AM   #37
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
About what?
That Amsoil buys base oils from Exxon Mobile.

And they do develop their own additive packages and is why they never supported the starburst program because that is a recipe prescribed by others.
I just said Exxon because they used to be the largest PAO producer in the US. Amsoil doesn't have the infrastructure to refine their own lubricants.

I don't even think they make their additives but specify the requirements. Not 100% sure about that.

Like I said. They're just a blender. Kinda like Redline (bought by Phillips 66).

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #38
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey i wanted to update this bottle issue lol. I found out that maybe the oil bottles i got from that Indie dealer shop had the older style labeled bottles, because i just signed up for the Amsoil membership and got those 100% synthetic labeled ones directly from them now. Also i am using the same brand for all my other cars i.e. RAV4 & Corolla.
      04-02-2020, 11:26 AM   #39
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Is AMSOIL EURO better than Castrol 0w-40 Belgium?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #40
AspektUSA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i MSport/THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Why bother with scamsoil when 5qts of Castrol is $24?
Appreciate 2
sspade2467.00
jh_f301308.00
      04-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #41
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektUSA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
I can possibly see OP's stance...with only one oil change a year, the inflated cost of using "premium" products doesn't strain the wallet as much as those of us changing 3-4 times a year and gives him peace of mind.

When I had a long commute, I was changing my oil about every 3 months on a 5k-mile OCI. At that rate, not only does it make more sense to me financially to go with something like the Castrol Euro 0W-40 from Walmart, but it probably doesn't make a significant difference in wear/longevity.
      04-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #42
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For me its about peace of mind, sure i could go with those cheaper alts, but ever since seeing the tests done by Project Farm on YT, amd knowing the issues with viscosity in these engines related to pistons (LSPI's) and the TC, i'll take my chances in longevity as i plan on keeping her for awhile. Different strokes for different folks, but i like R&D to help back that up. If anything u want to go cheaper route and still have something based on the R&D that came in second to Amsoil is the Pennzoil Ultimate i believe what its called..
      04-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #43
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektUSA View Post
Scamoil is LL-01 and 5w. I am thinking about trying the 5w because of this free delivery special they have now.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #44
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
For those who doubt the filtration removal numbers, the published numbers are 99% removal of particle sizes greater than 20 microns per ISO test std ISO-4548-22 (not a home grown county fair test procedure).
Go back and read Post #9.
Appreciate 0