F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Aftermarket 360 camera
ARMA SPEED

05-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 318d F30 LCI

Hi everyone, I've found an aftermarket 360 camera system on aliexpress that looks like the new camera system on new g-series bmw, with the 3d model of the car with the 360 view around it. The kit includes camera brackets specifically made for the bmw f30, so there's no need to drill anything.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329613...mic-trajectory

Has anybody installed it? Do you think it will melt images from different cameras as nicely as the oem camera? Oem 360 system doesn't have front view, that's why I'm considering this..

It's not really cheap (about 390 dollars for cameras+brackets+unit+shipping) so I'm thinking about it a lot, do you think it's worth it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:40 AM   #2
misguided_will
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i M Sport

im looking at a similar unit too

check out this one. it has mirror bases that swap out for the cameras for no cutting

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3290...5-c76955ee8e24

i couldnt quite understand exactly what the different options are though.

i think it looks decent from what ive seen on youtube
      05-28-2019, 12:46 AM   #3
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguided_will View Post

check out this one. it has mirror bases that swap out for the cameras for no cutting

Yeah It's the same unit... looks nice from the videos I've found... Remember that without the little optional box you don't have dynamic steering lines! Also this unit outputs rca video, you need a multimedia interface to see it in the idrive screen. Alternatively, they sell a (much more expensive) unit with ldvs cable instead of rca, so It hooks to the idrive screen and alternates camera view and idrive view based on gear
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
nigr
India
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Luxury Line

Garage List
2018 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoSONIC View Post
Yeah It's the same unit... looks nice from the videos I've found... Remember that without the little optional box you don't have dynamic steering lines! Also this unit outputs rca video, you need a multimedia interface to see it in the idrive screen. Alternatively, they sell a (much more expensive) unit with ldvs cable instead of rca, so It hooks to the idrive screen and alternates camera view and idrive view based on gear
Are there any video demonstrations other than the ones on the product pages?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:03 AM   #5
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

I installed it at the end. If you have some questions I can try to answer them!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
nigr
India
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Luxury Line

Garage List
2018 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Can you make a video of it? Also how much did the installation cost?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigr View Post
Quote:
Can you make a video of it? Also how much did the installation cost?
I made this video some days ago. It's really bad, I'll make a better one tomorrow, but for now you can understand how it looks.. consider that it's also badly calibrated. A good calibration should make it perfect!

Here's the video:

About the installation, I installed it on my own so I don't know how much would it cost. It's a big work... it involves removing and tearing down a lot of things.. footwell, door panels, side mirrors, all the way to the back trunk.. but it's absolutely doable. It took me 3 days of work, but I'm not a professionist at all.

I followed this guide:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=39

Remember that it outputs a yellow rca video cable, you need an interface to see it in the car screen. I used carplay mmi to see it (there's a wire that tells the carplay unit when to show the video input)
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      04-06-2020, 03:37 AM   #8
Saroo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Hi did you every record the second video interested in doing this same install love to hear your thoughts on it now you’ve had it a while
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:06 AM   #9
casper-tech
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
I made this video some days ago. It's really bad, I'll make a better one tomorrow, but for now you can understand how it looks.. consider that it's also badly calibrated. A good calibration should make it perfect!

Here's the video:

About the installation, I installed it on my own so I don't know how much would it cost. It's a big work... it involves removing and tearing down a lot of things.. footwell, door panels, side mirrors, all the way to the back trunk.. but it's absolutely doable. It took me 3 days of work, but I'm not a professionist at all.

I followed this guide:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=39

Remember that it outputs a yellow rca video cable, you need an interface to see it in the car screen. I used carplay mmi to see it (there's a wire that tells the carplay unit when to show the video input)
Hi do you need to do coding for this after install?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:30 AM   #10
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper-tech View Post
Quote:

Here's the video:

I followed this guide:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8;postcount=39

Hi do you need to do coding for this after install?
No coding at all
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:44 PM   #11
casper-tech
Registered
Rep

Quote:
No coding at all
Thanks!! This is very attractive but I am worry on wiring. I followed your link on the other post but doesnt seem to detail enough. For door, did you route though the soft cabling case and there is existing big enough hole to go in without drilling?
The reason i asked as the aliexpress is direct video signal instead of a pin connect to the existing connector at thedoor.

The only area needed to drill is the front firewall?

Thanks a lot for sharing the lights

Last edited by casper-tech; 06-17-2020 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Quote:
Are you using an MMI? If not, how are you feeding the video to the idrive?
Thanks!

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #13
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Quote:
Are you using an MMI? If not, how are you feeding the video to the idrive?
Thanks!
Yes, I'm using the Unique AD wireless Carplay MMI
Appreciate 1
jkwhar172.00
      06-18-2020, 09:05 PM   #14
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No coding at all
Thanks!! This is very attractive but I am worry on wiring. I followed your link on the other post but doesnt seem to detail enough. For door, did you route though the soft cabling case and there is existing big enough hole to go in without drilling?
The reason i asked as the aliexpress is direct video signal instead of a pin connect to the existing connector at thedoor.

The only area needed to drill is the front firewall?

Thanks a lot for sharing the lights
No drilling need at all! (only, as you said, for the firewall). There's a hole in the door wiring plug and the mirror plug that is big enough for the wire to go through it!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 09:08 PM   #15
casper-tech
Registered
Rep

Quote:
No drilling need at all! (only, as you said, for the firewall). There's a hole in the door wiring plug and the mirror plug that is big enough for the wire to go through it!
Thank you for all your tips. I have it installed finally. Love it!
While the tuning part doesn't seem to be easy, in 360 view, the connection between the front and the side seems to be abit odd, especially like road curbs which i believe cant be avoided due to viewing angle any way.

While, would you be able to have straight line view for lines on the road for the entire view? it seems the far end front and the far end rear is abit distorted.

And I cant set the right size of the car, the virtual car reaches an obstacle but my car in real still yet to... seem the picture of the car is larger than actual....

Overall... good stuff!
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 10:14 PM   #16
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for all your tips. I have it installed finally. Love it!
While the tuning part doesn't seem to be easy, in 360 view, the connection between the front and the side seems to be abit odd, especially like road curbs which i believe cant be avoided due to viewing angle any way.

While, would you be able to have straight line view for lines on the road for the entire view? it seems the far end front and the far end rear is abit distorted.

And I cant set the right size of the car, the virtual car reaches an obstacle but my car in real still yet to... seem the picture of the car is larger than actual....

Overall... good stuff!
I'm happy that you got it done!

For the stitching quality, consider that, as you said, it's all about the point of view. So road curbs won't be perfect. What you want is just that you can understand the surrounding of the car, once you get that, you're fine.

About the lines, you can get them almost perfect if you calibrate using calibration carpets (sold by the same seller) instead of hand made lines on the ground. My view is very good with that calibration. But always remember the same thing, point of view is everything. So if the car is in a road that isn't perfectly flat, you'll see the road lines get larger or narrower.

For the car size, just set the actual car size. The fact that the car looks bigger is a safety feature: when you see in the screen that you hit the curb, you're fine because you know that there actually was 10 more centimeters!

Trust me, I spent hours on the calibration settings to get the calibration perfect without any luck. Don't look for the perfection, just find a calibration that lets you understand the surrounding and park easily!

EDIT: One tip: don't know if you already did that but you can select the "inclination" of the reverse and front view. Mine was pointing down, then found out that there's a dedicated page in settings to change that (camera zones).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:02 AM   #17
Azaki
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 f30 lci 2016

Hello, I'm thinking about buying the same system and I was wondering if I buy the android 10 head unit would it work with trajectory lines because it says that it supports 360 cameras.

Also how does it tget automatically triggered to show cameras on screen?when you reverse?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #18
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

I have the factory surround view and wouldnt mind changing it to aftermarket 360. But I think i would lose the PDC function which id like to keep. Is that correct?

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 08:11 PM   #19
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
I have the factory surround view and wouldnt mind changing it to aftermarket 360. But I think i would lose the PDC function which id like to keep. Is that correct?
You'll continue to hear the pdc sound, just won't see the pdc overlay!
Appreciate 1
jkwhar172.00
      07-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #20
AlbertoSONIC
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azaki View Post
Hello, I'm thinking about buying the same system and I was wondering if I buy the android 10 head unit would it work with trajectory lines because it says that it supports 360 cameras.

Also how does it tget automatically triggered to show cameras on screen?when you reverse?

Thanks in advance
It should work, as soon as the android unit has the yellow rca video plug.

It triggers when you put in reverse. The camera unit has a wire that has to be connected to the android 10 screen to tell him when to show the video input.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 10:39 PM   #21
jkwhar
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You'll continue to hear the pdc sound, just won't see the pdc overlay!
Thats what I figured. thanks!

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 05:32 AM   #22
WillLowe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguided_will View Post

I've been messaging the seller about this and they reckon it will only fit 2017 onwards F32, was there any difference on the boot handle, front grill, and mirror underside trims in the LCI update? I cant see a difference
Appreciate 0